• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam vs Hayden; Test Batting

Who was the better test batsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
in reference to weldone's comment, i have always - partly subconsciously perhaps - classified cricketers by their quality into discrete clusters.

for example, in the 70s and 80s, it was richards, gavaskar and chappell in the first tier. followed miandad, border. and then the others like gower, gooch, boycott. (extended timelines, i realise...)

in the 90s and onwards, it has always been tendulkar and lara in the first tier with perhaps ponting and waugh (both briefly) in the same category. and then kallis, dravid, flower, sehwag, hayden, gilchrist, inzi pietersen et al.

regarding inzi v. hayden, inzi takes it over buzz by a gut's breadth.
How. Dare. You.

vcs

Why don't you add Ambrose and Walsh to that filter?
Last decade is the key word. Inzamam was not a bomb in 90s. His most of the exploit were
in last decade.I didn't add Donald too.

And seriously people don't understand how difficult opening the batting is.

smash84

The Tiger King
I have voted for inzi because when he played well he carried Pakistan through. Also the fact that Hayden was pretty ordinary in the early part of his career when he had to face good quality attacks. Not saying Hayden was not that good but his peak coincided with a time when ATG attacks of the 90s had dwindled.

With inzi i do have to admit though that at times he was more of a percieved threat than a reality but for me Inzi just clinches it.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Last decade is the key word. Inzamam was not a bomb in 90s. His most of the exploit were
in last decade.I didn't add Donald too.

And seriously people don't understand how difficult opening the batting is.
not sure that that is the case.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Inzy's late career form against England was frightening, **** scared me. Hayden overall though.

shankar

International Debutant
Quite.

Batting averages of touring batsmen in South Africa since 1990, by position

Code:
Opening		27.59
Number 3	32.16
Number 4	32.61
Number 5	34.63
It drops away after that, although that's obviously because the quality of batsmen starts dropping away. Using simple multiplication, Hayden's average of ~ 34 in South Africa would be the equivalent of averaging ~ 43 down at 5 where Inzy often batted.
The gap is reduced significantly in the post 2002 period (when Hayden scored his runs) where the averages are
Code:
Opening		34.31
Number 3	35.70
Number 4	36.55
Number 5	37.32

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Inzamam one of my 5 favourite cricketers ever, so I'd probably go with him as there isn't much to choose between them.

BlazeDragon

Banned
Haha yeah; he did a similar thing in the McGrath/Wasim thread I think. Reckon the idea just dawned on him.
Ah! I gotta start doing this with details now instead of just looking at stats. What a pain.

Honestly though I think Hayden helped his team get more victories than Inzamam.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I have said it a few time before and I will repeat: average in wins is an ass statistic.

In general any post facto filter on data is a bad idea. Match won or lost is not a condition that applies when a match is on unlike quality of opposition and type of pitch. So you can't necessarily say that it makes performance more challenging.

Secondly, filter by wins also biases the sample the wrong way. Any team wins more matches against weaker teams and in favourable conditions. So % of matches against Aus/SA or matches abroad will go down when you zero down to Inzy's stat in wins. If anything, that tells you that average in losses/draws is a better stat to look at.

Thirdly, if you are the only star performer in your batting lineup your team will mostly win matches only on back of your performances and you will have a better average in wins. Just compare Andy Flower's average in wins to that of Tendulkars and Pontings whose teams win matches even on the back of Sehwags, Laxmans, Gilchrists, Haydens etc.

Last edited:

Burgey

Different players, different roles. I don't know that it's easy to compare them.

I'll always love the aggrieved look Inzi got when he was comically run out.