• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam vs Hayden; Test Batting

Who was the better test batsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Important to remember here that the eras don't really match up. Inzy scored the majority of his runs in the 1990s, whereas Hayden failed on his first attempt before coming good post-2001. In general, it's been said that runs were somewhat easier to get during Hayden's tenure, and the difficulty of opening especially had been lessened.*

*there are stats for this but I cba.
Love you.

Personally, though, (and this is obviously speculation) the late 90's/early 00's just happened to coincide with Haydos' peak as a batter and I reckon had he been born a few years earlier, he'd have scored a hell of a lot of runs in the 90's. The guy proved he could play on seaming decks/swinging conditions many times, Brisbane was a ****ing graveyard for batters in the 90's.

Mind you, he'd have had to contend more often with a rampant Curtly so there's that......

G.I.Joe

International Coach
180 in Inzy's good period against 148 for Hayden - wouldn't call that a significant difference compared to the number of Tests.
That seems fair enough. I was under the impression it would have been a greater difference than that.

Top_Cat

180 in Inzy's good period against 148 for Hayden - wouldn't call that a significant difference compared to the number of Tests.
Would be interested in the home vs away breakdown, though. Without checking, Pakistan probably did a hell of a lot more travelling for their ODI's back then which would surely exacerbate the burnout factor.

vcs

Love you.

Personally, though, (and this is obviously speculation) the late 90's/early 00's just happened to coincide with Haydos' peak as a batter and I reckon had he been born a few years earlier, he'd have scored a hell of a lot of runs in the 90's. The guy proved he could play on seaming decks/swinging conditions many times, Brisbane was a ****ing graveyard for batters in the 90's.

Mind you, he'd have had to contend more often with a rampant Curtly so there's that......
At his peak in a period between 2001-2003, it didn't seem like there was a bowler out there who could get Hayden out, regardless of pitch, conditions etc.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I agree, Hayden was scoring 100s for fun. People can say scoring runs was harder but scoring 100s is still hard, regardless.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
The guy proved he could play on seaming decks/swinging conditions many times,
see, topcat, that's the problem. his batting (and his record) in england (and new zealand and south africa) were to be distinctly below par. might be a perception problem but that that is why inzi edges it by a straining waistcoat button.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/5616.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting

that said, i still marvel at hayden's peak. up till about 90 or a bit more test innings he had a fantastic average and 20 100s. think that gavaskar had after 50 tests, an average of in the late 50s and 20 100s. quite incredible and i had him pegged as an all time great opener.

just checking....yep.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/5616.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=cumulative

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/28794.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=cumulative

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
But on the flip side, by playing fewer games players have less burnout problems.
Burnout playing more test matches is not such a big issue unless they are mixed up with lots of LO cricket. At least that is what some of the ex-cricketers say.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That seems fair enough. I was under the impression it would have been a greater difference than that.
Yeah, I have to admit I was quite surprised it was so close - in terms of travelling Inzy did only play 31 games at home in that time, with a further 60 in Asia. Hayden had a lot more home games (probably due to the number of tri-series Australia hosted. I'm not sure how much travelling has an effect on players though when they have a considerable greater amount of time off due to simply playing less.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

Xuhaib

International Coach
two very different batsman who batted in two very different situations.Pakistan's issue with the top means Inzi did a lot of rescue acts and batted a lot of times under pressure, Hayden was a game setter for arguably the best or 2nd best test side in history though Hayden starts had a lot to do with Australia's fortunes.

BlazeDragon

Banned
'Must' say that I'm very 'much' embarrassed to see you make so 'much' fun out of my typo where I erroneously wrote 'much' where it should have been a 'must'.

By the way, I agree I shouldn't have engaged in a discussion about statistics with somebody like you at the first place.
"Somebody like me" actually showed some statistics. All you did was type an incorrect sentence.

Beleg

International Regular
hayden was an incredible player. inzamam was a better one.

i've skimmed through the thread and seen folks comparing records against different teams in different countries - this kinda highlights the issue with using statistics without

one of the best innings hayden played was, incidentally, against pakistan, at sharjah. similarly, one of inzamam's greatest innings was played against Bangladesh. a generic statistical analysis of their performance would attribute relatively low weight to both of them. however, given the conditions and the match situation, the technical skill and mental aptitude shown by both far outstripped their statistically superior performances against 'better' oppositions.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
hayden was an incredible player. inzamam was a better one.

i've skimmed through the thread and seen folks comparing records against different teams in different countries - this kinda highlights the issue with using statistics without

one of the best innings hayden played was, incidentally, against pakistan, at sharjah. similarly, one of inzamam's greatest innings was played against Bangladesh. a generic statistical analysis of their performance would attribute relatively low weight to both of them. however, given the conditions and the match situation, the technical skill and mental aptitude shown by both far outstripped their statistically superior performances against 'better' oppositions.
i agree about hayden in sharjah. but the inzi innings against the bangladeshis showed mental fortitude in the face of pressure (the possibiity of losing to the bangladeshis) but did it really show much technical aptitude, and were the conditions difficult? i ask out of curiosity since i didn't watch that match and i find it somewhat hard to believe that the bangladeshi bowlers and conditions were such a stern examination of skill.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
i agree about hayden in sharjah. but the inzi innings against the bangladeshis showed mental fortitude in the face of pressure (the possibiity of losing to the bangladeshis) but did it really show much technical aptitude, and were the conditions difficult? i ask out of curiosity since i didn't watch that match and i find it somewhat hard to believe that the bangladeshi bowlers and conditions were such a stern examination of skill.
It was a great innings to win the match for Pakistan and only the 10th ever 1 wicket win.

Wisden - Pakistan v Bangladesh

Wisden gives a great account of this