• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If and when players retire or get released new players can sign up. So the three year think doesn't count for much.

I can understand Johnson and Clarke as they had big seasons and need the rest, more then the money, as they get can it later. Haddin an interesting one, but with Australia's future schedule he is going to be tested physically a lot. You can understand him wanting to not play the extra games, as slight injury could mean the end of his international career before it started.

pup11

International Coach
If and when players retire or get released new players can sign up. So the three year think doesn't count for much.

I can understand Johnson and Clarke as they had big seasons and need the rest, more then the money, as they get can it later. Haddin an interesting one, but with Australia's future schedule he is going to be tested physically a lot. You can understand him wanting to not play the extra games, as slight injury could mean the end of his international career before it started.
IMO, They have acted like retards here, i mean they really don't need to work their arse off to earn all that money, they just had to play some ****ing T20 games and that was it, or are there clauses in the contract that they weren't able to digest!

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
IMO, They have acted like retards here, i mean they really don't need to work their arse off to earn all that money, they just had to play some ****ing T20 games and that was it, or are their clauses in the contract that they weren't able to digest!
The thing is for players like Haddin and Johnson in particular, next season once they are more established players they would earn a lot more money then what they are likely to be offered this season. I would presume what ever they get offered this season, is the same amount they would get offered for the next two seasons. So really any money they lose now, they would gain back with potentially larger contracts in the future. Off course the whole thing could flop and they might miss a big chance to cash in. Could be a really smart financial move long term, if things work out.

Also if it really does take off, then contracts might be worth more in the next couple seasons anyway. But even if it flops they would try it for two seasons atleast as ICL is confirmed for next season.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is for players like Haddin and Johnson in particular, next season once they are more established players they would earn a lot more money then what they are likely to be offered this season. I would presume what ever they get offered this season, is the same amount they would get offered for the next two seasons. So really any money they lose now, they would gain back with potentially larger contracts in the future. Off course the whole thing could flop and they might miss a big chance to cash in. Could be a really smart financial move long term, if things work out.

Also if it really does take off, then contracts might be worth more in the next couple seasons anyway. But even if it flops they would try it for two seasons atleast as ICL is confirmed for next season.
Interesting perspecive and one that probably has a lot of truth to it.

I guess they are looking for a dual benefit of progressing their International careers whilst at the same time driving up their free-market value.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"[Gilchrist] is very well-placed," said leading Australian player agent Neil Maxwell, who also manages Brett Lee and Mike Hussey. "I think he will earn considerable money. The top players, for six weeks' work, could be earning, dare I say it, $70,000 to $80,000 a week … It's in the realms of the English Premier League, which for a long time players have aspired to."

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I'm extremely unhappy that Langer's signed up. There's been no word from Somerset about it, yet there is his name on the list. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :dry:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
good to see Hodge nowhere, obviously he's decided Lancashire >any other team in the world.

can't think of any other reason

howardj

International Coach
Interesting perspecive and one that probably has a lot of truth to it.

I guess they are looking for a dual benefit of progressing their International careers whilst at the same time driving up their free-market value.
I doubt driving up their market value has anything to do with it. More like they find the whole thing totally vacuous and would rather focus on their careers. Just my opinion though.

pup11

International Coach

Yeah apparently that makes a lot of sense in Johnson and Haddin's case but for Clarke this doesn't make any sense, this is what he has to say in explanation, "The IPL is a great competition and I love Twenty20 and playing in India, but the timing is not right for me from a family and cricket perspective," Clarke said in the Australian. "I'm 26 and I want to give myself every chance of having a long career for Australia. I just want to win the CB Cup, the Pura Cup for New South Wales and take the old man fishing."
This explanation doesn't make a lot of sense to me!

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Yeah apparently that makes a lot of sense in Johnson and Haddin's case but for Clarke this doesn't make any sense, this is what he has to say in explanation, "The IPL is a great competition and I love Twenty20 and playing in India, but the timing is not right for me from a family and cricket perspective," Clarke said in the Australian. "I'm 26 and I want to give myself every chance of having a long career for Australia. I just want to win the CB Cup, the Pura Cup for New South Wales and take the old man fishing."
I think he wants to focus solely on cricket for Australia and NSW, he's probably got another eye on his future captaincy prospects and perhaps doesn't want the distractions of the IPL. And also, his old man was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease last year.

This is a mature decision by Clarke, good luck to him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he wants to focus solely on cricket for Australia and NSW, he's probably got another eye on his future captaincy prospects and perhaps doesn't want the distractions of the IPL. And also, his old man was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease last year.

His dad has also been diagnosed with cancer, I'm sure that may have had something to do with his decision, given that had he signeed, the commitment was for 3 years.

Last edited:

sideshowtim

Banned

He's also engaged so he'll be getting married some time this year. He'll probably get married during the IPL.

howardj

International Coach
I think it makes a lot of sense. From the moment he signed that lifetime Slazenger contract three years ago, he reportedly became a millionaire. Therefore, being financially secure and having just got back into the Australian team, he wants to rest and prepare for a two month tour - rather than swanning around India for four weeks playing meaningless matches. Plus, there's always the chance that back here in Australia he will get in a bingle.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Today is the day of auction...some TV channels here (especially Times NOW) are covering this all day.