• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Diaspora XI

hang on

State Vice-Captain
none other. isn't he the child of tamil labourers who moved to lanka? surely qualifies as the indian diaspora.

Himannv

International Coach
none other. isn't he the child of tamil labourers who moved to lanka? surely qualifies as the indian diaspora.
There are certainly some Tamils in Sri Lanka who have Indian origins. Murali would qualify and I'm one of them as well. Russell Arnold and Angelo Mathews qualify as well although they have other bloodlines which make them Burgher (European lineage).

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok following on from something raised in the Windies / India thread, what would your all-time non-Indian Indian XI be?

Let's ignore Ind/Pak pre-/post-Partition issues. Otherwise you can take whatever definition of "Indian" fits.

Here goes.

Ganga
Ranji
Kanhai
Kallicharan
Chanderpaul
Jardine (c)
Ramdin (w)
Ramadhin
Rampaul
Bishoo
Panesar

Someone help me out with some quick bowlers, ffs.
No Nasser Hussain?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Only skimmed through his book but he'd be a dubious qualification too.
Hmm. Born in Madras (as was) to an Indian father and English mother.

Moved to Blighty at six.

Nass is on record as considering himself "100% English" but he definitely has Indian antecedents.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmm. Born in Madras (as was) to an Indian father and English mother.

Moved to Blighty at six.

Nass is on record as considering himself "100% English" but he definitely has Indian antecedents.
As I said, ethnicity is not the issue. It's about having some sort of cultural or other connections. If you didn't know about his dad and hung out with him for a month you might never guess. From skimming his book hewasnt even quite sure what language his father spoke. As I said I haven't read the whole thing and could be wrong but he wouldn't really qualify IMO.

I mean you don't really consider all white Australians (or Americans who came over 300 years ago) a part of English diaspora. It's not merely about ethnicity. At least not in my book.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think a better gauge of whether someone is part of a diaspora, compared to what I said before, might be simply if that person considers themselves part of that diaspora. If they do, it probably implies that they do have some sort of connection, cultural or otherwise, to the country in question.

Bun

Banned
African Diaspora XI

S Gavaskar
J Hobbs
D Bradman
S Tendulkar
V Richards
G Sobers
A Gilchrist
M Marshall
M Muralitharan
S Warne/I Khan
G McGrath

:ph34r: Just got to turn the clocks back sufficiently enough

hang on

State Vice-Captain
African Diaspora XI

S Gavaskar
J Hobbs
D Bradman
S Tendulkar
V Richards
G Sobers
A Gilchrist
M Marshall
M Muralitharan
S Warne/I Khan
G McGrath

:ph34r: Just got to turn the clocks back sufficiently enough
otherwise known as Lucy's XI. or even Leakey's XI.

91Jmay

International Coach
I'm not going to get drawn on the debate about whether a player has to identify culturally with a country in order to make the list, as i don't know Dinesh Ramdin's thoughts on India. So i'll just pick the best 11.

Hashim Amla
Shivnairaine Chanderpaul
Alvin Kallicharan
Rohan Kanhai
Nasser Hussain
Basil D'Oliveria
Dinesh Ramdin
Stuart Clarke
Ravi Rampaul
Sonny Ramadhin
Monty Panesar

Solid team.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My OP tried to define Indian widely. It's always difficult to draw sensible distinctions based on race or ethnicity or colour. Seems to me that Jardine has every bit as much right to be considered Anglo Indian as, say, Monty Panesar.
The OP may have tried to cast a wide net but the title doesnt. Diaspora is a relatively specific term and Jardine, Cowdrey or Jackman couldnt be described as part of the Indian diaspora. Especially since they are born there. Diaspora is for people away from their ancestoral origins. Therefore Panesar fits perfectly, Jardine, for example, in part of the Anglo diaspora.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
I'm not going to get drawn on the debate about whether a player has to identify culturally with a country in order to make the list, as i don't know Dinesh Ramdin's thoughts on India. So i'll just pick the best 11.

Hashim Amla
Shivnairaine Chanderpaul
Alvin Kallicharan
Rohan Kanhai
Nasser Hussain
Basil D'Oliveria
Dinesh Ramdin
Stuart Clarke
Ravi Rampaul
Sonny Ramadhin
Monty Panesar

Solid team.
D'Oliveira was 'cape coloured', wasn't he? god, i hate using the term. didn't know that he had indian ancestry.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
The OP may have tried to cast a wide net but the title doesnt. Diaspora is a relatively specific term and Jardine, Cowdrey or Jackman couldnt be described as part of the Indian diaspora. Especially since they are born there. Diaspora is for people away from their ancestoral origins. Therefore Panesar fits perfectly, Jardine, for example, in part of the Anglo diaspora.
completely agree.