• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Heroic in the face of a hammering

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's quite clear that Mahela prefers seeing Mitch Johnson play in the Australian team:

As an opposition batsman, I don't blame him wanting to face this "natural wicket-taker" everytime he bats in a test match against Aus. :laugh:
Pretty sure this is the final confirmation the New Steve Harmison needs to complete the image. I seem to remember the Aussies talking up Harmy as late as the 2010/11 series.

Himannv

International Coach
It's quite clear that Mahela prefers seeing Mitch Johnson play in the Australian team:

As an opposition batsman, I don't blame him wanting to face this "natural wicket-taker" everytime he bats in a test match against Aus. :laugh:
He also said this tbf: "On his day he is lethal but on some days he can give you a lot of runs and not be so lethal."

Pretty much on the money.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Beaten to it, SOC. :D Although tbf to you, not by a great margin.
**** it!

I can console myself with the idea that great minds think alike I suppose...as long as I ignore the fact the other person was Benchy.

Need to learn to read the thread first.

Last edited:

grecian

Mentioned in the OP, but not again Alan Lamb in '84?

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Allan Border faced the windies himself in 83/84 in the first test nobody made runs in the second he made a fifty to get a draw, in the second test he scored 98 not out and 100 not out to deny the windies again, in the third test he scored 38 and 8 and the aussies got thrashed 10 wicket loss, fourth test he made 98 again in a side that only had one other make over 25, and in the fifth he scored 41 and 60 which were both higher scores than any other player in his side for the whole game, he finished the series with 521 runs at74.73, captain courageous was about to be born

Teja.

Global Moderator
Kapil picked up some 30 odd wickets in the '83 pasting from WI.
Got 29 didn't he?

/pedant
29 wickets @ 18 going into the series as the only Indian bowler with a knee injury against a strong batting line-up on largely ridiculously flat wickets. One of my favourite performances ever.

Second highest Indian wicket taker was Shastri with 12 wickets @ 50-odd iirc,

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
29 wickets @ 18 going into the series as the only Indian bowler with a knee injury against a strong batting line-up on largely ridiculously flat wickets. One of my favourite performances ever.

Second highest Indian wicket taker was Shastri with 12 wickets @ 50-odd iirc,
You weren't even born then :p

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I still say Dravid this summer, and not just for his batting but the way he was always the one to front up to the media like a hero after another hammering.

Even after losing 4-0 he managed to keep his smile and his sense of humour - Sky's first question to him after the Oval Test was "so Rahul, what went wrong?" to which Dravid said with a laugh "have you got half an hour?"

Legend.

fredfertang

I've heard this rumour before about a 2006/07 Ashes series but I don't recall it, and neither does Corrin, so there can't have been one

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've heard this rumour before about a 2006/07 Ashes series but I don't recall it, and neither does Corrin, so there can't have been one
I wish people would stop trying to make ODIs sound more important than they are by referring to them as the Ashes. The Ashes is Tests only and Shri is clearly referring to the Commonwealth Bank series which England played in and won as part of their World Cup preparations.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Would definitely go with Sanga here, against Pakistan.

Also Clarke's innings in South Africa and Mussey in the latest Ashes.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I wish people would stop trying to make ODIs sound more important than they are by referring to them as the Ashes. The Ashes is Tests only and Shri is clearly referring to the Commonwealth Bank series which England played in and won as part of their World Cup preparations.
You mean the 2010 T20 world cup? No other world cups before then, as I recall.