• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has Samaraveera gotten rid of the FTB tag?

Has Samaraveera gotten rid of the FTB tag?

• Total voters

Jacknife

International Captain
Can't see how you call someone who averaged 50.50, often guiding SL to safety when most of his colleagues were failing, utter garbage.

IMO he has improved a bit since 2008 onwards. Since then he has averaged more away than at home (71.35 / 65.20). But I don't think he will ever get rid of that FTB tag, not much time left in him...
He scored 58 & 0, 9 & 17*, 31 & 87*, the two not outs where in rain effected matches when they were meandering to draws. Just saying he averaged 50 doesn't really give you a true reflection how he batted in England imo and all the way through the series it was hard to believe we were watching a guy who averaged over 50. He also only guided SL to safety once at The Rose Bowl where Sanga scored a ton, so it wasn't a often occurrence.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He scored 58 & 0, 9 & 17*, 31 & 87*, the two not outs where in rain effected matches when they were meandering to draws. Just saying he averaged 50 doesn't really give you a true reflection how he batted in England imo and all the way through the series it was hard to believe we were watching a guy who averaged over 50. He also only guided SL to safety once at The Rose Bowl where Sanga scored a ton, so it wasn't a often occurrence.
If not for rain, would have scored lot more I can argue.

tooextracool

International Coach
Samaraweera might not justify his 50+ average, but he's played some fairly valuable knocks for SL away from home. There isn't much doubt that he looked ill at ease against England, but considering that he scored runs in spite of that suggests to me a player who is capable of scoring runs through sheer grit and guts and its a quality worth admiring. I've always noticed that to make up for his lack of footwork, he's always gets into good positions to play his shots.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd agree with Jacknife, amazed he got to double figures in some of his innings - especially since half his runs came through/over the slips.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of course not, or lost games. Only those scored on the Sabath day in the 4th week of the month count

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Samaraveera, take a bow.

I haven't watched the match to really know, but I hope no one is going to say that pitch/bowling was easy on this occasion.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Samaraveera, take a bow.

I haven't watched the match to really know, but I hope no one is going to say that pitch/bowling was easy on this occasion.
So you don't know what you are talking about. If you watched, you would see this is a good batting surface.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's not a flat track. It's definitely a good batting surface though; as TT_Boy said. Irrespective of that though the conditions couldn't be any different to what Samaraweera is used to and the main criticism of him has always been that he couldn't score runs against pace and bounce on quickish wickets. This isn't a bowler's wicket but it has some pace in it so it's gone a long way to showing that theory for what it was. I think Thilan averages about 38 outside the subcontinent now which is hardly enough to make someone so ridiculously Godly in conditions where he's going to play 60%+ of his matches anything other than a very good batsman.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
he main criticism of him has always been that he couldn't score runs against pace and bounce on quickish wickets
Ha, but people who couldn't score on dustbowls never called FTBs. It's ****ing hypocritical when Sam averaging 38 outside SC called a FTB, but Pietersen averaging 38 in SC not called such.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ha, but people who couldn't score on dustbowls never called FTBs. It's ****ing hypocritical when Sam averaging 38 outside SC called a FTB, but Pietersen averaging 38 in SC not called such.
Your post makes no sense.