• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has Samaraveera gotten rid of the FTB tag?

Has Samaraveera gotten rid of the FTB tag?

• Total voters

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wait, KP is considered a great?? he's an awesome batsman when he gets it right, no denying that, but a great? LOL

Samaraweera, statistically the best Test batsman since 2007 :wub: Try and come up with a stat against that.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Wait, KP is considered a great?? he's an awesome batsman when he gets it right, no denying that, but a great? LOL

Samaraweera, statistically the best Test batsman since 2007 :wub: Try and come up with a stat against that.
LOL I am not even gonna get into that.

As for KP..yes I consider him a great batsman...don't know about others here.

L Trumper

State Regular
No one rates Sam over KP from SL. But it's the otherway round, that KP is rated miles better than Sam, when they both have comparable records. One becomes a FTB/HTB and another becames a great. The voice was against these different standards.
I don't think that is true. After his tour of SA, no one is going to say Sam is an FTB.
And if KP has poor series in upcoming tours, then people will say he is not a great batsman. The problem with rating players while still playing is, there is constant changes of perceptions based on their forms. Once their career is over, and if people still rate Samaraweera as an FTB(which I don't think will happen), then you can present stats to debunk it.

L Trumper

State Regular
No he wasn't as bad as being made out in Pakistan, got a nice ton out there and made some runs here and there just a got a few single number scores as well, I also wouldn't say averaging 41 in India is failing either, funnily enough it's far better than Samaraweera's 24 there. If someone wants to take issue with the 6 tests he's played in SL and Pakistan, more power to them.
Yeah, it was his first away tour and team was pretty much started to falling into pieces. Regarding SL tour, I think KP once said it was the toughest in his career, he will put it right this time around though.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok you are assuming a few things about me number one being that I am one of those who as a blanket rule considers stats against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe irrelevant. I don't.

Secondly, my argument was that KP has a good record in 2 countries in the subcontinent and below average in 2 countries..that is not equivalent to being 'poor' in the subcontinent.

And I was not making this argument in relation to Pietersen vs Samaraweera. This was independent of that and simply a point on Pietersen.

To go back to the original question of the topic, yes I no longer consider Samaraweera a flat track bully especially after he outscored two of Sri Lanka's more accomplished batsmen (and dare I say a certain overrated batsman).

The reason KP is rated higher than Samaraweera despite having similar holes in their stats is that KP has dominated some of the best bowlers of his time such as Warne, McGrath and Muralitharan. That makes many people consider him great.
Still hell, no. Sam dominated spin attacks on tracks turning squrae (as the PSS test against India), which KP could only dream of. And if domination is the criteria for greatness. Sehwag will be easily better than KP, because when he dominated he makes them bleed. Dominating 25% of matches and being a** r**** in another 25% doesn't make a batsman superior to a consistent performer in my book. And for note, KP only deminated Murali for two test. Since then it was one way traffic with KPs ass repeatedly handed over him to by Murali in tests, ODIs or T20s.