• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:happy:

To be honest, I find watching off-spinners a bit boring (sorry Jack!). I think it's the years of being spoilt by Warney. Anything else is a bit of a letdown. Wasn't that impressed by Swann in The Ashes, and am pleased that Hauritz is doing better than was predicted for Australia.

Who's better? I'm struggling to muster up the breath to care really. I do hope Swann gets a hiding out here in Oz though.
Yeah, he was awful at Cardiff and after that up and down. Must have found him to have bowled well in your unsuccessful fourth innings chases though?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, he was awful at Cardiff and after that up and down. Must have found him to have bowled well in your unsuccessful fourth innings chases though?
Given we got about 400 in them I didn't take a lot of notice (time zones played their part too, couldn't stay up too late with work on). As I said in my post, I don't generally get too excited by off-spinners. But that's a greater reflection on me than off-spinners and their talents obviously! If it's turning a fair bit then I'll watch them with interest, otherwise I'm probably off doing something else and waiting for a noise from the TV to suggest something's happened.

I'm sure he bowls well though, he must do. I just don't appreciate it as much as bigger turners of the ball and the fast men. He's also a better bowler than Hauritz, but Hauritz isn't as bad as some people make out. Swann is flashier, but part of that's down to his teeth.

Have to go and watch some clips of Warney now to cleanse my mind of this off-spin talk!

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd never really seen Hauritz bowl before the Ashes. Upon hearing all the talk of him I expected to see the sort of delivery that I tend to send down, so he certainly is a LOT better than people make out. I do actually think he's a good bowler, I just think Swannehhhh is better, but then Swannehhhhh is the Bradman of bowling so it's all good

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But you can show Swann's superiority statistically anyway. Batsmen average 37.10 in matches involving Swann and 32.66 in matches involving Hauritz. In other words, Swann's bowled on much, much more batsman-friendly pitches than Hauritz has, but they both come out with the same average. Something that anyone who's followed both their careers will know anyway, but it's good to show it in numbers.
So what you're saying is that matches involving Bangladesh are played on much more batsman-friendly pitches than those involving Australia? Surely we're ignoring a variable here, like the general quality of the bowling attack.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I doubt Swannie of Harris would have held on to that catch that (arguably) turned the match into Australia's favour. 2 Michelle's for Haurie in the last 2 tests and being Australian give him the edge to me :P

gwo

U19 Debutant
I reckon Swann's a better bowler, not by that much though. And I'm just really enjoying watching a guy grow into his role as a Test cricketer, especially one who copped a lot of unfair criticism. Sheffield Shield cricket is pretty unforgiving as a spinner, and I think a lot of people forget that.

They also don't understand that subtlety is the greatest variation a spinner can have, and that's something that doesn't get picked up by armchair critics.

QFT.

Swann marginally ahead still but really impressed by how both have performed tbh.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well, I doubt Swannie of Harris would have held on to that catch that (arguably) turned the match into Australia's favour. 2 Michelle's for Haurie in the last 2 tests and being Australian give him the edge to me :P
Hauritz has got some serious guts - that was a brilliant, brave take and the way he kept on bowling in the second dig despite having had his hand redesigned at Lord's was impressive as well.

I'm still taking Swanneh, but Hauritz is doing a fine job in the role Australia want for a spinner to do right now, and he can be very pleased with the way he's got on. Nonetheless, I won't be losing sleep about him next winter.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So what you're saying is that matches involving Bangladesh are played on much more batsman-friendly pitches than those involving Australia? Surely we're ignoring a variable here, like the general quality of the bowling attack.
The quality of the batting lineup too. But I reckon England have a better attack and worse batting lineup than Australia so really that's also in favour of Swanneh.

And if you're not willing to buy that, you can just have watched their respective careers so far to know Swanneh's played on the flattest of flatties.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd never really seen Hauritz bowl before the Ashes. Upon hearing all the talk of him I expected to see the sort of delivery that I tend to send down, so he certainly is a LOT better than people make out. I do actually think he's a good bowler, I just think Swannehhhh is better, but then Swannehhhhh is the Bradman of bowling so it's all good
So you're predicting he'll end up with a bowling average of 99.94? Interesting. :ph34r:

Craig

World Traveller
My opinion on Hauritz this summer has changed a lot and I do rate him as a Tets bowler, the Pakistani batsmen have underestimated him at times and look at what has happened to them. I see him ATM as someone who is getting the most out of his ability as a bowler at Test. Obviously the real acid test will be when/if he comes up against India and Sehwag is in one of his 'moods' where he is smashing all and sundry to all parts of the cricket ground. Whether or not he will hold his nerve when Sehwag is thinking "letz hitz sixez' and go for plenty or do what Krejza did and pick up 8 wickets in an innings.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
My opinion on Hauritz this summer has changed a lot and I do rate him as a Tets bowler, the Pakistani batsmen have underestimated him at times and look at what has happened to them. I see him ATM as someone who is getting the most out of his ability as a bowler at Test. Obviously the real acid test will be when/if he comes up against India and Sehwag is in one of his 'moods' where he is smashing all and sundry to all parts of the cricket ground. Whether or not he will hold his nerve when Sehwag is thinking "letz hitz sixez' and go for plenty or do what Krejza did and pick up 8 wickets in an innings.
Basically a better version of Harris.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, I've only ever seen Hauritz really spin one using the rough. However, he gets good bounce, drift and flight, which make him acceptable as a test offie.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Are there any spinners in the world would wouldn't have a tough day in the office if they come across Sehwag-in-the-mood on an unresponsive deck?