• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann

Jayzamann

International Regular
did you happen to catch who dismissed MoYo and Misbah to expose the tail? :dry:
That MoYo catch in slow motion was amazing. The last few Hauritz wickets were lower order outfield catches, but setting the ball in motion with those two were.

Well it looks like Swann is a better bowler who is more attacking and more skilled than Hauritz and Swann has done it at the same strike rate, econ and average as someone who is not as good as him.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well if the stats say Hauritz is better then he must be hey, STATS ARE LAW
I think it's important to factor in who the stats are supporting GIMH. You can't just take them at face value you know :sleep:

I'm hoping Swann gets dropped before the return Ashes series this year myself. With those choppers of his, if he takes a swag of wickets in the blinding Aussie sunshine, the resultant smiles could result in the worse cases of melanoma we've seen in the country for years. (I had no idea where to put these ****ing commas!)

Well if the stats say Hauritz is better then he must be hey, STATS ARE LAW
Stats just tell you what the player has done, It seems a defense mechanism is triggered whenever stats are mentioned. When the stats are at odds with someones opinion the first thing to do is declare that the person mentioning the stats thinks stats are everything.

The only thing I notice about stats is that the better a players stats are the better the player. I cant think of one great player that does not have great stats.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's because great players generally play in more than 12 matches. Plenty of all-time great bowlers have averaged over 30 for one 12-match period. Variance. Just because two players have similar stats after 12 matches doesn't mean they're similar quality.

But you can show Swann's superiority statistically anyway. Batsmen average 37.10 in matches involving Swann and 32.66 in matches involving Hauritz. In other words, Swann's bowled on much, much more batsman-friendly pitches than Hauritz has, but they both come out with the same average. Something that anyone who's followed both their careers will know anyway, but it's good to show it in numbers.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I reckon Swann's a better bowler, not by that much though. And I'm just really enjoying watching a guy grow into his role as a Test cricketer, especially one who copped a lot of unfair criticism. Sheffield Shield cricket is pretty unforgiving as a spinner, and I think a lot of people forget that.

They also don't understand that subtlety is the greatest variation a spinner can have, and that's something that doesn't get picked up by armchair critics.

Son Of Coco

But you can show Swann's superiority statistically anyway. Batsmen average 37.10 in matches involving Swann and 32.66 in matches involving Hauritz. In other words, Swann's bowled on much, much more batsman-friendly pitches than Hauritz has, but they both come out with the same average. Something that anyone who's followed both their careers will know anyway, but it's good to show it in numbers.
If batsmen are averaging 5 more runs in matches involving Swann can we then assume Hauritz is better as Swann is obviously leaking runs somewhere? :happy:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think Uppercut's post is fair on Hauritz; it's hardly his fault that he plays all of his matches alongside that paper-thin batting line-up that is the Australian middle order.

Son Of Coco

I don't think Uppercut's post is fair on Hauritz; it's hardly his fault that he plays all of his matches alongside that paper-thin batting line-up that is the Australian middle order.
It's not 'paper thin' it's 're-designed for success'. Don't think we didn't notice that 2 centuries was the magic number when it came to winning series. How many centuries have we scored this summer? 2! And we've won both series. Shane Watson should be applauded for not ****ing it up by getting the tally to 5 or 6 and resigning us to defeat.

I'm just worried we'll get ahead of ourselves now and score 15 in the next Ashes series to a paltry 1 (by Jimmy Anderson) yet in between somehow manage to get bowled out twice for 78 or less and lose the series again.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's not 'paper thin' it's 're-designed for success'. Don't think we didn't notice that 2 centuries was the magic number when it came to winning series. How many centuries have we scored this summer? 2! And we've won both series. Shane Watson should be applauded for not ****ing it up by getting the tally to 5 or 6 and resigning us to defeat.

I'm just worried we'll get ahead of ourselves now and score 15 in the next Ashes series to a paltry 1 (by Jimmy Anderson) yet in between somehow manage to get bowled out twice for 78 or less and lose the series again.
Here mate, think you might like this :dry:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol that actually was very good.

Anyway, I think Hauritz cops way too much criticism, but I've watched enough cricket to know that Swann is the better bowler.

Give this 12-18 months and I believe this will be clear. If not, well good for you Hauritz.

Son Of Coco

Haha you what?
:happy:

To be honest, I find watching off-spinners a bit boring (sorry Jack!). I think it's the years of being spoilt by Warney. Anything else is a bit of a letdown. Wasn't that impressed by Swann in The Ashes, and am pleased that Hauritz is doing better than was predicted for Australia.

Who's better? I'm struggling to muster up the breath to care really. I do hope Swann gets a hiding out here in Oz though.