• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really

Swann has a technical problem that basically results in him bowling slow and relatively innocuous in-slant to the righties from over the wicket - there's minimal drift, bugger all spin and moderate accuracy

In short, he's distinctly average

However, around the wicket, he's a decidedly different proposition because his arm is no longer past the perpendicular and he gets drift and spin > domination of lefties

Anyway, as I've said before, Swann is overrated because he's compared to Giles/Panesar whilst Hauritz is underrated because he has huge shoes to fill
Bugger all spin :ph34r:

Sylvester

State Captain
Swann

Right handers
362.0 overs 1206 runs 28 wickets - 43.07 econ 3.33 s/r 77.57

Left handers
338.5 overs 912 runs 41 wickets - 22.24 econ 2.69 s/r 49.58
I'm sure Hauritz would have similar figures, he looks so much more dangerous to the lefties because the ball is spinning away.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually yeah, Mendis had them crushed and embarrassed. Swann would be the first in a little while.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ATS its clearly Swann>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Harris>>Haurtiz. But somehow i fear this may not be unanimous POV on CW ATM.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd definitely take Hauritz in front of the current version of Harris, who has been particularly toothless of late.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
ATS its clearly Swann>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Harris>>Haurtiz. But somehow i fear this may not be unanimous POV on CW ATM.
I can understand that you don't rate Hauritz, but to rate him behind Harris? Paul Harris has been horrible for well over a year, wouldn't be a shock to see South Africa drop him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I can understand that you don't rate Hauritz, but to rate him behind Harris? Paul Harris has been horrible for well over a year, wouldn't be a shock to see South Africa drop him.
The best of Harris is still better than Hauritz, even if as jack said he has looked a bit flat since he took that 5 wicket haul @ Centurion vs ENG last winter, which is under a year ago.

The best of Harris has taken 5 wicket hauls againts good opposition on wearing or 5th day wickets. Hauritz is yet to do so, so Harris is slightly better still ATS.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I don't think Harris deserves to be called a spinner. Slow left arm wide down the leg side bowler might be more appropriate.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not "using" it, but fact is he's far better at bowling to lefties. I'd find Swann vs. Ganguly or Lara more interesting than Swann vs. Sehwag or Tendulkar.
Ha, ha! wait for the Raina vs Swann drama. Raina is probably the best left hander against spin ATM.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Basically the only reason the Hauritz argument gathered any momentum AFAICS is because Swann bombed at Cardiff where Hauritz did well. Nevermind that Swann bowled England to victory twice in the rest of the series or anything.

But yeah, I'd be interested to see anyone still maintaining Hauritz is the better bowler.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hauritz is better. Swann's a pom.

To GIMH, Swann also bombed at Birmingham. Hauritz was the better spinner in that series.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We won the series 2-1 and Swann bowled us to victory in two.

He was poor the other three, no arguments. But I think his overall career thus far tells us who the best spinner is.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The only time that Swann had an effect on the game was when Australia were chasing super-unlikely targets. He was a contributor, but not that vital in determining the series.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, have said it before he'd be bloody tough to face in a pressure situation but he seems to retreat to ultra defense quite quickly when the conditions don't suit or the batters don't look troubled.