• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can see him getting an all-football ban. I think Fifa will see it as too public an incident for them to be seen as lenient. But you never know with them.

Surely the referee should have sent him off when he saw the bite marks? What kind of evidence does he need, it's not like they could conceivably have been anything else.
.... and he should get separate and consecutive bans for that theatrical nonsense in the immediate aftermath and then for that bollocks he spouted at that press conference

... goes without saying too that Uruguay should be kicked out of the tournament and their record expunged, as should Italy for provocation, which gets us back in - job's a good 'un

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On an unrelated note, did anyone see Hodgson's interview? God it was painful. Trying to put a positive spin on a 0-0 draw with a Costa Rica side that only wanted a draw and were mostly just trying not to get injured. In a game in which they were already eliminated and should have been trying to entertain the travelling fans.

He's only keeping his job because he's constantly talked down expectations, to the point where completely bombing against three average-to-poor teams is seen as absolutely fine. It's properly Moyes-esque.

Burgey

Liverpool's odds of taking the premiership will deliciously lengthen if Suarez is out. Just when they think they're in the verge if another decent era.

So, so good.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't think the ref should have sent Suarez off, he clearly didn't see any of the incident. Although surely his linesman should have seen it

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I can see him getting an all-football ban. I think Fifa will see it as too public an incident for them to be seen as lenient. But you never know with them.

Surely the referee should have sent him off when he saw the bite marks? What kind of evidence does he need, it's not like they could conceivably have been anything else.
He's a dumb ****, I've said that, but I think the severe bans for biting are utterly stupid. It's a moral outrage of which there is no consistency. It hardly injures a player, is hardly likely to unless he actually bites out an opponent's flesh which he's never come close to doing nor have I ever heard of a player doing.

The notions of a 24 games game or 2 year ban should be reserved for serious stuff. This is a bit weird but it's comical more than it is malicious. And before people level the accusation that it is a Liverpool player otherwise I would be saying the opposite I absolutely wouldn't. Is a sneaky pinch that bruises an opponent something that would garner that kind of ban? You can go two footed and try to break an opponent's leg and you still wouldn't get anywhere near that kind of ban. There's just no consistency.

He's got himself to blame for being a dumb **** and even making this a discussion; but it's stupid all the same. Also, from what I've read, the all football bans are for stuff like doping, or attacking an official or faking one's age. I have a hard time believing these offences relate in severity.

Last edited:

Burgey

It's a dog act (hehe) and it's unhygienic. Could catch Liverpool from him.

Apparently they're saying the ban will only relate to internationals, which is interesting. I'm sure the Saints at Anfield will have no dramas bitching about every other **** actin a football field while continuing to employ this grub.

social

He's a dumb ****, I've said that, but I think the severe bans for biting are utterly stupid. It's a moral outrage of which there is no consistency. It hardly injures a player, is hardly likely to unless he actually bites out an opponent's flesh which he's never come close to doing nor have I ever heard of a player doing.

The notions of a 24 games game or 2 year ban should be reserved for serious stuff. This is a bit weird but it's comical more than it is malicious. And before people level the accusation that it is a Liverpool player otherwise I would be saying the opposite I absolutely wouldn't. Is a sneaky pinch that bruises an opponent something that would garner that kind of ban? You can go two footed and try to break an opponent's leg and you still wouldn't get anywhere near that kind of ban. There's just no consistency.

He's got himself to blame for being a dumb **** and even making this a discussion; but it's stupid all the same. Also, from what I've read, the all football bans are for stuff like doping, or attacking an official or faking one's age. I have a hard time believing these offences relate in severity.
Just don't

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Let's be honest though, they can't afford to lose him. If anything they should be glad this latest misdemeanor came when not playing for them.

Uppercut

Regardless of how despicable you think it is, it's not fair for other players to have to worry that someone on the other team could bite them for no reason at any moment. The only fair solution is a reasonable ban, say 13 international matches, and a stipulation that Suarez has to wear a Hannibal Lecter mask at all times for the remainder of his career.

social

Let's be honest though, they can't afford to lose him. If anything they should be glad this latest misdemeanor came when not playing for them.
Unfortunately, if they keep him then they are implicitly condoning his actions

I have a soft spot for the 'Pool but this is beyond a joke

The guy must be amongst the biggest ****s to ever play professional sports and should receive a massive suspension

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Regardless of how despicable you think it is, it's not fair for other players to have to worry that someone on the other team could bite them for no reason at any moment. The only fair solution is a reasonable ban, say 13 international matches, and a stipulation that Suarez has to wear a Hannibal Lecter mask at all times for the remainder of his career.
Yup, think it's pretty similar to someone being done multiple times for spitting on an opponent.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

Where do we get the numbers from though? If he instead was flicking players in the nuts, would it make a difference? If a player gets straight reds for disgraceful tackles, does he get banned 2 years for the 3rd one? Ultimately, the point of any sanction is to deter the offender so it's not unique in that sense either. I'm not trying to make light of it but comparing it to other stuff that cause red cards and get nowhere near the ban it just seems oddly inconsistent.

Honestly, put Suarez, the dumb ****, aside and just think of it as a discussion about Fifa rules in general.

Unfortunately, if they keep him then they are implicitly condoning his actions

I have a soft spot for the 'Pool but this is beyond a joke

The guy must be amongst the biggest ****s to ever play professional sports and should receive a massive suspension
As a Liverpool fan, I couldn't give a ****, nor do I expect any other club to ban their players to put forth a moral stance. It's like cutting your nose to spite your face, why should we give a flying one what other clubs think of our practices with our own players? What's next clubs banning their own players for more matches when they get red cards for bad tackles or to punish them when they get away with a dive in the penalty box? For me it's upto Uruguay and Fifa to come to any kind of sanction and strictly at International level. At the least, he's going to miss the world cup...that'll burn him right there more than anything.

Last edited:

social

:laugh:

Where do we get the numbers from though? If he instead was flicking players in the nuts, would it make a difference? If a player gets straight reds for disgraceful tackles, does he get banned 2 years for the 3rd one? Ultimately, the point of any sanction is to deter the offender so it's not unique in that sense either. I'm not trying to make light of it but comparing it to other stuff that cause red cards and get nowhere near the ban it just seems oddly inconsistent.

Honestly, put Suarez, the dumb ****, aside and just think of it as a discussion about Fifa rules in general.

As a Liverpool fan, I couldn't give a ****, nor do I expect any other club to ban their players to put forth a moral stance. It's like cutting your nose to spite your face, why should we give a flying one what other clubs think of our practices with our own players? What's next clubs banning their own players for more matches when they get red cards for bad tackles or to punish them when they get away with a dive in the penalty box? For me it's upto Uruguay and Fifa to come to any kind of sanction and strictly at International level. At the least, he's going to miss the world cup...that'll burn him right there more than anything.
BS

Last time I checked, Liverpool was sponsored by a global corporation

The club will bend over if the guys in Boston think that advertising revenue is going to drop

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
BS

Last time I checked, Liverpool was sponsored by a global corporation

The club will bend over if the guys in Boston think that advertising revenue is going to drop
True but I am talking about banning a player for your own club games. That just hurts the club. The club could show it doesn't condone the act by docking him a couple months worth of salary (which would be basically 2 million+) and send him to counselling, etc.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
True but I am talking about banning a player for your own club games. That just hurts the club. The club could show it doesn't condone the act by docking him a couple months worth of salary (which would be basically 2 million+) and send him to counselling, etc.
To cite the Cantona example again, before the FA and FIFA bans were meted out, United banned him for the rest of the 94/95 season anyway. Presumably the only purpose of that was PR.

Not that I think Liverpool will or should do the same.

social

Club should deregister him and walk away

Bad news for LFC but those are the facts

Guy is a ****

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Human bites are just about the 'dirtiest' bites possible though - bites by humans are much more likely to become infected than bites from other animals. It's worse than bruising someone by kicking them. Plus it's weird that a grown man has a habit of going around biting people. Ban from this and next world cup and all football activity for the next 12 months...seeing as this is his THIRD time...

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
To cite the Cantona example again, before the FA and FIFA bans were meted out, United banned him for the rest of the 94/95 season anyway. Presumably the only purpose of that was PR.

Not that I think Liverpool will or should do the same.
Yes, I'm sure it was but it was a mistake as Fergie himself later said. If Fifa said "we'll announce that LFC is going to handle the matter at club level" and give the club the option to make the gesture themselves instead of Fifa doing it then I can see them doing it. But only if it is an inevitability which is simply differentiated by which entity does it. Otherwise, don't.

Although having said that, assaulting a fan like Cantona did is a whole other level of dumb ****.

Club should deregister him and walk away

Bad news for LFC but those are the facts

Guy is a ****
Yeah a 80-90m player being let go for nothing...that's not happening.