• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Michael Vaughan @MichaelVaughan · 5m
Just a reminder that @WayneRooney created the only goal that England scored tonight....Let's not make scapegoats...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, yeh, ok.
Haha, yeh, I love you Ikki can we have a relationship based on you knowing nothing about anything whilst creaming over stats, and mne just having the heft of the couple. It could be true spunktastic luv:wub:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, yeh, I love you Ikki can we have a relationship based on you knowing nothing about anything whilst creaming over stats, and mne just having the heft of the couple. It could be true spunktastic luv:wub:
Good one. I've forgot more about football than you'll ever know about the game. I'm also superficial in the looks department so it wouldn't work out. ;)

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Michael Vaughan @MichaelVaughan · 5m
Just a reminder that @WayneRooney created the only goal that England scored tonight....Let's not make scapegoats...
Yeah he did, and that cross was certainly class......rest of the game he was absolutely dire though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Eh, probably our best opening WC performance since at least 98 and yet it ended in defeat. Agree with Grecian, think we'll have enough to get out of the group so not currently too downhearted.

social

One worry for England is that a lot of their players looked absolutely ****ed after about 70 minutes anick gamed this wasn't a particularly qu

I thought it was strange that they chose to prepare in conditions well removed to what they faced today and it came back to bite some in the arse

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Fitness and lack impact from the subs are concerns. Fitness was poor from a bunch of professionals.

fredfertang

The last England World Cup game I didn't watch was the 1966 final, had expected this one to go the same way - shocked and horrified by the scoreline, although Grecian's exchange with Ikki was entertaining - two guys who know how to have a full and frank without having an adverse affect on forum atmosphere

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Can't believe Italy were at such poor odds before the tournament - less favoured than Belgium !
They really do have the quality to go all the way IMO.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the Belgium odds were crazy pre-tournament really. They're down to 8th favourite now behind the Netherlands, Italy and France which seems much more reasonable.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just me who thinks that the team that finished should start the next game, with Henderson coming in for Wilshere and Sturridge coming in for Rooney?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Just me who thinks that the team that finished should start the next game, with Henderson coming in for Wilshere and Sturridge coming in for Rooney?
Wilshere did FA. Lallana won a free kick. Barkley had a couple of decent touches / passes. The sum was a less effective team effort with fresh legs. So I wouldn't.

Rooney is wasted in midfield but created the goal. The problem seems to be the better players are all attacking ones. Playing 2 holding midfielders didn't work as the defense still got exposed. Replace 1 of them with Barkley and see what happens. Henderson had the better game imo.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If you were naming England's best players, Rooney would be towards the top 3-4 players, but in his best position there is someone better (Sturridge) and behind the forward he doesn't have the guile of Sterling/Lallana/Barkley and they put even more of a shift off the ball. It would be a big decision, but IMO England would be better with Rooney on the bench if England are going to play the same 4-2-3-1.

On the other hand, Hodgson could play Liverpool's 4-4-2 diamond and play Sturridge and Rooney up front with Sterling just behind them. That would probably be better but he'd then have to have 3 proper midfielders (Gerrard holding and Henderson-Lallana on either side compact). Outside of my own country and Australia, I really hope England do well. A draw will be enough against Uruguay IMO.

Last edited: