• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fixing Scandal!!!!!

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
This is 2008 we're talking about with McCullum though - plenty of people have said anti-corruption education and detection measures were grossly lacking at that point.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I believe vic_orthdox stated that the anti-corruption awareness program was in full swing when he played the u19 WC which was considerably before that though. (?)

Yeah BFP, fair enough, think it's best to wait and let the details emerge.

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon it would be easy to get sucked in by the fixers based on hearing how drug cheats work elsewhere. You could have your toe in the water without realising and that puts you in a terrible position. I can understand not coming forward immediately as well, because the high ups are probably not nice people and coming forward would cause a lot of drama with the ICC, the media and maybe the shady types too. Approached players might just say no and hope it goes away. It takes courage to come forward.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon it would be easy to get sucked in by the fixers based on hearing how drug cheats work elsewhere. You could have your toe in the water without realising and that puts you in a terrible position. I can understand not coming forward immediately as well, because the high ups are probably not nice people and coming forward would cause a lot of drama with the ICC, the media and maybe the shady types too. Approached players might just say no and hope it goes away. It takes courage to come forward.
Wait wasn't this a long post - and yet it doesn't say edit. Did you delete and repost?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This is 2008 we're talking about with McCullum though - plenty of people have said anti-corruption education and detection measures were grossly lacking at that point.
It's a really interesting point and one I go back and forth about, to be honest.
Although McCullum might have been confused as of what to do, there would have been senior players and friends of his he could talk to about it with. Vettori, Bond, Oram, Styris etc. Not to mention coaches, and people like his wife and his brother.

I think it's almost certain that at least before the end of the court case with Modi, McCullum must have come forward. Surely he couldn't have seen that happening in the media and done nothing.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think it's a good things when it's reported that a player has come forward about an offer. From an Aussie perspective, I think Haddin and Watson did it - it helps normalise the behaviour and makes people understand that it can and should be done.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
woah, lets be fair here, "how the hell do you get away with sneaking all this money around?" would be pretty high on anyones question list. it could very easily be an innocent "how does this even work?" blurted shock reaction.
*The day before the start of the IPL, Mr. X and Brendon McCullum are sitting in a coffee shop*

Mr. X - Hey Baz, I reckon you should score slowly early on in tomorrow's game; better to be safe early on and bat deep into the innings than crash out for a 10-ball 13 *wink wink nudge nudge*
McCullum - Umm, thanks for the advice I guess, but since when do I ever bat in a rational manner? DLF MAXIMUM! SIXER! DANNY MORRISON CLICHES!
Mr. X - No, trust me mate, take your time to get settled and go big late. There might even be some cash in it for you *wink wink nudge nudge*
McCullum - What are you suggesting here? This sounds more dodgy than the Chennai Super Kings organisational structure!
Mr. X - Mate, have you ever heard of spreads
McCullum - What, like vegemite?
Mr. X - *Sigh* *pulls out iPad to deliver a well-rehearsed powerpoint presentation on match fixing*
McCullum - **** off I'm not doing that **** I love playing for my country (and Kolkata I guess since they're paying me enough for it) its a boyhood dream what would nathan think and i cant betray Flem or DV or 5outhee but Ross can piss off wait no he's not actually that bad i guess **** YOU AND YOUR FIXING MR X!
Mr. X - Come on Baz, do it for me, do it for your old friend Mr. X and $50,000! It'll be fun! Oh BTW Lou's in on it.
McCullum - You'll never get away with it. I'd never get away with it. And I have an $800k IPL contract so why would I care about 50k? And of course Lou's in on it, the Australian bastard.
Mr. X - You see, what you do is buy a house in Dubai, sell it a couple of years later and the money's practically untraceable. It's genius, easy, and you won't get caught.
McCullum - **** off Mr. X, I'm not doing this! I'm out of here. **** you, **** this, **** your wife, and **** everything you stand for. I'm not a corrupt prick. You're a disgrace to New Zealand and to the game of cricket.

*An ICC anti-corruption official looks over his newspaper from the booth behind Mr. X and McCullum, pushes his glasses up his nose, and contends to do nothing with the intelligence he has just gathered*

Skyliner

International 12th Man
As per Cairns's statement, Vincent is in a desperate position and is falsely accusing him of wrongdoing, and if Brendan McCullum says Cairns is player X than he is also a liar.

This fits with our understanding of logic and reason; the gritty mans-man and patriot Brendon McCullum would randomly invent false testimony against his hero, former team mate & NZ icon.

Moreover anyone who testifies that Cairns is a match-fixer - like Indian players Gaurav Gupta, Rajesh Sharma, Karanveer Singh from the ICL side the Chandigarh Lions who all testified against Cairns at the Mohdi trial - anyone who does so is being manipulated by shadowy dark forces out to get the innocent Cairns.

BeeGee

International Captain
My opinion of Vincent; he's lower than a snake's ass. Not only does he conduct match fixing and try to involve others, but when he gets rumbled by the authorities he rats out everyone else just to save his own worthless hide. Lowest of the low.

I hope he does time in "pound me in the ass" prison.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not of the opinion that ratting everyone else out is a deplorable move, in this situation anyway.

BeeGee

International Captain
I'm not of the opinion that ratting everyone else out is a deplorable move, in this situation anyway.
If he came forward voluntarily and named names for the good of the game, that would be laudable. But he isn't. He's only doing it save himself.

He's a selfish prick and I hope he gets what he deserves.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
If he came forward voluntarily and named names for the good of the game, that would be laudable. But he isn't. He's only doing it save himself.

He's a selfish prick and I hope he gets what he deserves.
Yeah. He's pretty much been caught with his hands in the cookie jar and blamed the previous three guys.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, but I'm happy that he's outing the others involved, who are at least as bad if not far worse.