• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First week thoughts

cnerd123

likes this
Interesting point. Would SA get away with naming a bogus captain for the rest of the tournament but still have AB calling the shots on the field?? I mean he is one player they really wouldn't want to miss a game.
I think we've finally found a role for Wayne Parnell.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah but everyone was still complaining about how lame it was at the time
No way. Can't speak for CW but I assume most people loved the England group. Every match was a cracker. Can't imagine too many ppl complaining. This time there literally hasn't been one game which has gone down to the wire. It's definitely not normal.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
No way. Can't speak for CW but I assume most people loved the England group. Every match was a cracker. Can't imagine too many ppl complaining. This time there literally hasn't been one game which has gone down to the wire. It's definitely not normal.
In hindsight we filter out all the lousy games, of which there were plenty. Gonna wait until this tournament is a little further along before I judge it.

Burgey

Think a lot of the posting from the new minnow posters has been cod ordinary tbh. Bringing the tone of the forum done.

OverratedSanity

In hindsight we filter out all the lousy games, of which there were plenty. Gonna wait until this tournament is a little further along before I judge it.
There were lousy games in 2011, sure, but here pretty much every single game has been lousy. Don't think we're being unfair by calling it a poor tournament so far.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
When will teams rethink who captains coming into important series like the WC, SA captain ABD has been fined for slow over rates and if they infringe again he will be suspended for 1 match. Not a good position to be in for SA.
Interesting point. Would SA get away with naming a bogus captain for the rest of the tournament but still have AB calling the shots on the field?? I mean he is one player they really wouldn't want to miss a game.

That would be an extremely cynical move and one I'd hope the ICC recognises and punishes.

_Ed_

Posting in the correct thread this time, I'd like to see the centuries v five-wicket hauls ratio even up a little bit.

By my count:
Eight hundreds (with Gayle on 94* at the time of posting)
Four five-wicket hauls

_Ed_

Yeah, I guess. But even if you make it four-wicket hauls that number only goes up by one. And several of the bigger hauls have been jammy death wickets. It's been a bit underwhelming for fans of quality ODI bowling.

cnerd123

likes this
I'd compare 100s to 3-fers tbh. Assuming scoring 300s runs = taking 10 wickets in an innings (IE, team efforts likely to win you a match).

Zinzan

That would be an extremely cynical move and one I'd hope the ICC recognises and punishes.
Agree, surely there's some rule in fine print about the captain named in each squad having to remain so, unless of course they're injured or rested for the said match.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, I guess. But even if you make it four-wicket hauls that number only goes up by one. And several of the bigger hauls have been jammy death wickets. It's been a bit underwhelming for fans of quality ODI bowling.
Nah, come on, we've had Southee bowl one of the ATG spells. I thought Taylor's opening spell against Pak was underrated too.