• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First week thoughts

TNT

Banned
The over rate demands are not strenuous and over rates are a problem in all forms of cricket - 50 overs in 3 and a half hours should never be exceeded by any team, let alone 90 in 6 hours which frequently becomes 87-88 in 6 and a half.
Not often (for me never) hear a spectator complain that the bowling team have only bowled 88 overs in a day, TV stations hate it though because it can make the news 10 minutes late.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Other than England against NZ, whenever a top 8 team has batted first, they have scored 300 or higher. Kinda makes it boring.

veganbob

U19 Captain
2 weeks in im really enjoying it. No complaints about it being too long, its good. most of the matches have been very enjoyable.

Can't believe a few people here are saying "when does the ashes start". the ashes usually suck. its not 1/10th as important as the world cup. Most of the time 1 of the 2 teams are disinterested (mostly england).

And I consider test cricket the best, but the ashes is on too often and overhyped as f***, it would probably have more meaning if they played for it once every 3 years.

Antihippy

International Debutant
2 weeks in im really enjoying it. No complaints about it being too long, its good. most of the matches have been very enjoyable.

Can't believe a few people here are saying "when does the ashes start". the ashes usually suck. its not 1/10th as important as the world cup. Most of the time 1 of the 2 teams are disinterested (mostly england).

And I consider test cricket the best, but the ashes is on too often and overhyped as f***, it would probably have more meaning if they played for it once every 3 years.
The people asking about the ashes are English, btw.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL, spot the non English/Aussie cricket watcher.

I'm sure the people saying "when do the Ashes start" are doing so very much tongue in cheek.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I'm getting bored of seeing 330+ scores in ODIs. The second innings is pretty much a waste of time after that. Of course Ireland vs Windies shows teams do occasionally chase down 300+ scores, but still.

Give me 170-9 plays 171-8 off 48.5 any day of the week. I want each run to matter.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbh, the terrible chasing has been a surprise. We essentially spent all of the time between the WCs watching teams becoming better and better at chasing and then it's disappeared (Note: statsguru may prove that wrong)

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it has been the most obvious pattern so far. Have teams been chasing down 330/340 outside the World Cup though? The increase in scoring in the last 15 overs has been so extreme, I just don't think the side chasing has the nerve to try and mirror what the side batting first has done.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah it has been the most obvious pattern so far. Have teams been chasing down 330/340 outside the World Cup though? The increase in scoring in the last 15 overs has been so extreme, I just don't think the side chasing has the nerve to try and mirror what the side batting first has done.
Chasing 300+ is still tough because the odds will always favour the team that already has the runs on the board, but there has been a definite improvement. It is possible the pressure of the match having WC status is nullifying the improvement to an extent.