• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My god, imagine if this had happened to the Aussies!! James would have to shut this place down.

I'm itching to get home and watch the Eng innings, tbh I still can't really wrap my head around any of it.
Aussies or Indians would have been insane

Though I don't know if it could have happened to the Indians, BCCI would have found a way around it. Otherwise people would have probably turned up missing the next day

Fusion

Global Moderator
Well the Christchurch skyscrapers didn’t crumble quite as predicted but then as some kind poster pointed out, Christchurch doesn’t have any skyscrapers anyway. Which of course just reinforces the opening point about mediocrity. And to be fair, any country with a major population centre without any decent modern architectural structures is probably pushing it to even reach those lofty heights! And boy oh boy, didn’t the result prove that to be the case!

Imagine posting a sub-par total, battling back against another of the cricket world’s great chokers to be well on top only to allow them to bash the last couple of balls around and fluke a tie! Having NZ lose the entire tournament on a boundary countback was truly a thing of beauty! A fitting result both for how well it fits their historical profile and for the tasty tears now being shed by its hapless supporters!

Its great being right!
Let’s get one thing straight, there is no “we” or “us” here. You are not part of the team, simply someone who enjoys supporting a team (and country really) who sit towards the bottom of the pile and get pounded 80% of the time. The word “masochist” comes to mind but hey, there are all sorts of fetishes out there so I won’t judge.

My advice would be to squeeze all the tears out for the rest of us to enjoy and in mid-September once most of them are gone, focus on the rugby world cup which may provide a different outcome. Although you still won’t be able to use the term “we”, at least the All Blacks will likely provide a more polished performance with less unintended comedy than the Black Caps.
I haven't flexed my mod muscles in like over a year, but these posts definitely call for it. Cut this out immediately or you'll be facing a ban.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
No doubt we will get Phlegm reporting on what the NZ talkback scene is saying about this. I suspect they'd be less gracious than the Kiwi CWers
I don't think it's restricted to just NZ. Take a look at Pakpassion right now, they're taking this nearly as hard as if it had happened to Pakistan.

flibbertyjibber

My god, imagine if this had happened to the Aussies!! James would have to shut this place down.

I'm itching to get home and watch the Eng innings, tbh I still can't really wrap my head around any of it.
If it had then everyone would have laughed at them and wound them up. As it is most of us feel sympathy for the NZ fans as it was a cruel way to lose a final.

morgieb

**** I would've been salty as hell after that. Probably would've had to log off immediately.

TheJediBrah

It'l forever be the cup where every non England fan plonks a big asterisk next to the champions name
1975 - West Indies
1979 - West Indies
1983 - India
1987 - Australia
1992 - Pakistan
1996 - Sri Lanka
1999 - Australia
2003 - Australia
2007 - Australia
2011 - India
2015 - Australia
2019 - (England*/NewZealand)

Nah, I don't think that will be the case at all. Surely not every non England fan is a wanker.
a lot of us are though

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, I don't think that will be the case at all. Surely not every non England fan is a wanker.
It's just the gut feeling of everyone neutral. It's not like Pakpassion has any reason to favour NZ, hell me and Jedi don't either. With all due respect you're not a neutral so you wouldn't understand

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's too interesting a piece of sporting history and trivia not to put the asterisks TBH.

2019 - England*

*Remember the best ODI of all time when it finished in not one but TWO ties and England were awarded the victory after having the advantage going into the second tiebreaker?

Fusion

Global Moderator
I don't think it's restricted to just NZ. Take a look at Pakpassion right now, they're taking this nearly as hard as if it had happened to Pakistan.
Once Pakistan were out, I think 99% of Pakistanis had adopted NZ as their team to support. That's largely to do with Jacinda Ardern's incredibly moving response to the Christchurch massacre and the general goodwill the Blackcaps have built up over the years. Hell, I had people in my family literally crying over the result.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Lads...

Heartbroken. Absolutely shattered in pieces here at the moment, after watching your childhood favorite team fight tooth and nail in a torturous marathon that just wouldn't stop serving up twist after twist after twist, it was gutting to lose it all...7 weeks of mental torture, to a goddamn technicality. But england do deserve it, congratulations to them.

I believe the most sad part about this loss is that it is damaging. It almost felt like the powers that be, or some higher force was trying to do whatever it could to make sure we didn't make it. That's just me talking out my a** but it felt like that in that moment.

It is also damaging in the sense that, guys like rosco, gup, cdg will not be there next time around. Boult, henry, ferg will be somewhat past their youthful fast bowler prime. Couple of the guys are still young but it seems like we have hit our ceiling, a ceiling which goes no higher than 2 consecutive world cup finals. We aren't exactly a part of the big 3, so we can't just reshuffle our squad in 1 month with new players and start dominating. Player exits will leave big holes, and we do not have the finances or resources to rebound in just a year or even 4.

I just wonder, if we couldn't bring it home today...when will we? Now, I honestly don't know where we go from here.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Once Pakistan were out, I think 99% of Pakistanis had adopted NZ as their team to support. That's largely to do with Jacinda Ardern's incredibly moving response to the Christchurch massacre and the general goodwill the Blackcaps have built up over the years. Hell, I had people in my family literally crying over the result.
Amirfan (or whatever his name is) mustn't have got the memo:laugh: