• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

kushagra29

Cricket Spectator
The things that are keep on revolving in my mind from yesterday are
a) How can u add runs to the batting team when a throw was mi**** by the batsman while running? If that is the case then U should give runout when a batsman falls on the stumps while taking a run
b) Is it fair to decide a winner based on the no of boundaries hit when super over is tied?

Really, these two things are killing me from yesterday. Both teams have kept their heart & soul in the match. So, you could have shared the trophy instead of announcing ENG as winner. I felt heartbroken for NZ team.
IMO NZ haven't lost to ENG but to bull**** ICC Rules.

Are anyone thinking the same like me?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too tired and shattered to put all my thoughts into words, but...

1. Congrats to England and their mostly awesome fans. Good on you.

2. Bloody proud of NZ's performance.

3. One of the greatest games, but I have no desire to watch it again.

4. The Stokes deflection - "that's cricket", but it ****ing sucked.

That about covers it for now.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
The boys should be proud of their performance, it sucks to lose like that but it is what it is... hopefully no one has to suffer what we had to today.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aside from that ludicrous rule, the Boult non-catch was a killer for NZ as it was as close to regulation as you will find in those circumstances

Gob

International Coach
Did Dharmablahblah screw it again by awarding six runs instead of five

For the first time in my life i'm gutted for New Zealand in particularly Kane. Man deserved the cup and from now on i'm going to cheer for every run he makes.

Stay strong New Zealand

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I really don't feel disappointed this morning. Stayed up the whole way through, thought we'd won it like the rest of us. And for Stokes' bat in all sorts of ways, including the most freak of moments, we had.

We did all we could do and I'm just bloody proud. Yes we're not champions but any time the conversation comes up we can say we did all we could to be. Incredible team and theyll carry a ****load of good will into a summer where we have all 3 of the other semi finalists and the public will rightly treat us as if we did win it all.
Anyway. Agree with some of the other sentiments from Kiwi posters. I don't really feel disappointment, I'm proud of the team (even Henry). It literally couldn't have been a closer game and the way both teams fought tooth and claw to stay in the match was impressive. It's a good day for cricket, even if wasn't New Zealand's day.
awta

thierry henry

International Coach
I’m actually ok with watching it back. It’s probably as close as I’ll ever get to watching my team win the CWC and aside from Boult’s ‘catch’ we played some great clutch cricket. How about Neesham’s 49th over? Should have been 3 wickets for 3 runs.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I feel the same way tbh. I'm immensely proud of them of course. But as Jeremy Wells noted before the tournament, this was probably our best ever chance to win a World Cup. The team probably wasn't quite as well rounded as the 2015 side, but the similarity of English conditions to home, and the strength of the bowling attack always meant they were a realistic chance in a way we probably weren't 4 years ago. It's just a heart breaker.
It's hard to imagine we will ever be as good an ODI team as we were in the last two world cups. Maybe in 2023 we will still be strong, but conditions won't suit us and India/Bangladesh/Pakistan will likely be the dominant forces.
Tbh, I don't know about this. I had thought at the end of the last world cup this would be our time as all the young guns (Boult, Williamson et al) would have matured to their peak. They have, but we're weaker than 2015 imho because our opening combo was pretty abysmal this time round (no fault of nipples), we didn't really have a solid finisher (soz CdG but you're no Grunter) and Santner is no Vettori.

It's not as though the current side is ancient. A conceivable XI for 2023 could be:

1. Seifert 24 or Phillips 26
2. Nicholls - 31
3. Williamson - 32
4. Young - 30
5. Latham - 31
6. Neesham - 32 (so impressed with him this tournament)
7. as yet unidentified lower order biffer (Clarkson?)
8. Santner - 31
9. Henry - 31
10. Fergsuon - 32
11. Boult - 33

Ideally we want one or two more under 30s. I could see Henry not being there - as much as I love him - as he seems like he'll forever struggle to cement himself in our XI. Ferguson could break down. Nicholls may move to 5 and Latham may just Peter out in ODIs. I mean, Guptill would be 36 - it's conceivable he could still be around as well.

I always thought a player peak is 28-32. If anything there's a lack of a Taylor-esque experienced player in the squad.

I think our bowling was stronger this tournament, but batting far weaker. I was surprised we made the final, tbh.

But yeah, also the subcontinent factor.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
But yeah, also the subcontinent factor.
This is the crux of it for me. I agree it's quite likely that 8 or 9 of the current side will still be available and more or less in their prime as cricketers. Boost that with new players like Seifert, Young, Leopard, Kugz (urgh) and hopefully Rachin and you've got a solid squad. If the next world cup were in SA or WI I'd give us a chance. But playing it in India is going to neutralise our strengths and expose our weaknesses.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
This is the crux of it for me. I agree it's quite likely that 8 or 9 of the current side will still be available and more or less in their prime as cricketers. Boost that with new players like Seifert, Young, Leopard, Kugz (urgh) and hopefully Rachin and you've got a solid squad. If the next world cup were in SA or WI I'd give us a chance. But playing it in India is going to neutralise our strengths and expose our weaknesses.
It would be a sweeter win in a lot of ways. In conditions least suited to us.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's hard to imagine we will ever be as good an ODI team as we were in the last two world cups. Maybe in 2023 we will still be strong, but conditions won't suit us and India/Bangladesh/Pakistan will likely be the dominant forces.
NZ should have been bad/not a good team for at least the last 20 years that I've been a reasonably consistent observer, and of course for decades before then.

There's really no reason to assume we won't be a strong side in 2023.