• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aussies will. They still moan about 2005 and Bodyline for god's sake.
Haha bodyline has transcended to just a really interesting piece of history which the game ended up better for imo

This is different. If the match was awarded to England based on a higher table position initially after the first tie instead of a super over thatd make more sense

But they bring out this gimmicky super over with a really, really obscure boundary countback caveat in case of tie instead of just... Another super over. It seems like a big flaw/oversight in proceedings because a) the chance of a super over being tied is decently high and b) as others said, shootouts/sudden death/golden point/overtime scenarios should be infinite in a World Cup final, feels like everyone watching has been left with blue balls

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It's just the gut feeling of everyone neutral. It's not like Pakpassion has any reason to favour NZ, hell me and Jedi don't either. With all due respect you're not a neutral so you wouldn't understand
Yeah, I haven't even watched the end yet......but seriously, we even have a thread here on wether you agree with the result. Most do even if there is a question mark over the methodology. If the Kiwis can cop it sweet then I think most neutrals will too. All those that aren't wankers anyway.

So you can stick your asterisk up your arse tbh

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's just the gut feeling of everyone neutral. It's not like Pakpassion has any reason to favour NZ, hell me and Jedi don't either. With all due respect you're not a neutral so you wouldn't understand
Well mostly I'm just doing it for the lols

speaking of which

It's taken 44 years, questionable rules, extreme luck, an Australia coach, an Irish captain, a NZ best player and a West Indian leading wicket taker, but England have finally won the World Cup of the game they invented

OverratedSanity

Yeah, I haven't even watched the end yet......but seriously, we even have a thread here on wether you agree with the result. Most do even if there is a question mark over the methodology. If the Kiwis can cop it sweet then I think most neutrals will too. All those that aren't wankers anyway.

So you can stick your asterisk up your arse tbh
If this has an asterisk then do does the cheating Aussies jammy 1999 win.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well mostly I'm just doing it for the lols

speaking of which

It's taken 44 years, questionable rules, extreme luck, an Australia coach, an Irish captain, a NZ best player and a West Indian leading wicket taker, but England have finally won the World Cup of the game they invented
**** off ****.

TheJediBrah

realistically 2005 Ashes should have a bigger asterisk for systematic ball tampering than this WC result. At least this WC result didn't involve cheating and was awarded according to the rules*

*other than the 5/6 overthrow controversy

mr_mister

If this has an asterisk then do does the cheating Aussies jammy 1999 win.
It probably would for many if the tie occurred in the final

It sounds like way too convenient a viewpoint for me to have but I'm somewhat okay with obscure shenanigans in anything other than the grand final. In the final just keep playing til you have real, solid result

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
realistically 2005 Ashes should have a bigger asterisk for systematic ball tampering than this WC result. At least this WC result didn't involve cheating and was awarded according to the rules*

*other than the 5/6 overthrow controversy
Your face should have an asterisk next to it.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Lads...

Heartbroken. Absolutely shattered in pieces here at the moment, after watching your childhood favorite team fight tooth and nail in a torturous marathon that just wouldn't stop serving up twist after twist after twist, it was gutting to lose it all...7 weeks of mental torture, to a goddamn technicality. But england do deserve it, congratulations to them.

I believe the most sad part about this loss is that it is damaging. It almost felt like the powers that be, or some higher force was trying to do whatever it could to make sure we didn't make it. That's just me talking out my a** but it felt like that in that moment.

It is also damaging in the sense that, guys like rosco, gup, cdg will not be there next time around. Boult, henry, ferg will be somewhat past their youthful fast bowler prime. Couple of the guys are still young but it seems like we have hit our ceiling, a ceiling which goes no higher than 2 consecutive world cup finals. We aren't exactly a part of the big 3, so we can't just reshuffle our squad in 1 month with new players and start dominating. Player exits will leave big holes, and we do not have the finances or resources to rebound in just a year or even 4.

I just wonder, if we couldn't bring it home today...when will we? Now, I honestly don't know where we go from here.
Yep, everything that could go against us, did go against us ... and we still kept coming back ... and we didn't even end up losing!

Worst thing is it's going to be replayed as much as the 99 semi for the next 50 years or so, we'll never be able to forget it. :(

But I also have to say England don't deserve an asterix ... I don't want to feel like this if the other team isn't really enjoying the win. Maybe they'll change the rules around a few things in future, but that's what we were playing under today, congrats to them, huge effort and what an amazing way to win your first.

Damn I just wish Boult hadn't stood on that rope. :(

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I believe the most sad part about this loss is that it is damaging. It almost felt like the powers that be, or some higher force was trying to do whatever it could to make sure we didn't make it. That's just me talking out my a** but it felt like that in that moment.

It is also damaging in the sense that, guys like rosco, gup, cdg will not be there next time around. Boult, henry, ferg will be somewhat past their youthful fast bowler prime. Couple of the guys are still young but it seems like we have hit our ceiling, a ceiling which goes no higher than 2 consecutive world cup finals. We aren't exactly a part of the big 3, so we can't just reshuffle our squad in 1 month with new players and start dominating. Player exits will leave big holes, and we do not have the finances or resources to rebound in just a year or even 4.

I just wonder, if we couldn't bring it home today...when will we? Now, I honestly don't know where we go from here.
I feel the same way tbh. I'm immensely proud of them of course. But as Jeremy Wells noted before the tournament, this was probably our best ever chance to win a World Cup. The team probably wasn't quite as well rounded as the 2015 side, but the similarity of English conditions to home, and the strength of the bowling attack always meant they were a realistic chance in a way we probably weren't 4 years ago. It's just a heart breaker.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I feel the same way tbh. I'm immensely proud of them of course. But as Jeremy Wells noted before the tournament, this was probably our best ever chance to win a World Cup. The team probably wasn't quite as well rounded as the 2015 side, but the similarity of English conditions to home, and the strength of the bowling attack always meant they were a realistic chance in a way we probably weren't 4 years ago. It's just a heart breaker.
It's hard to imagine we will ever be as good an ODI team as we were in the last two world cups. Maybe in 2023 we will still be strong, but conditions won't suit us and India/Bangladesh/Pakistan will likely be the dominant forces.

mr_mister

Yep, everything that could go against us, did go against us ... and we still kept coming back ... and we didn't even end up losing!

Worst thing is it's going to be replayed as much as the 99 semi for the next 50 years or so, we'll never be able to forget it. :(

But I also have to say England don't deserve an asterix ... I don't want to feel like this if the other team isn't really enjoying the win. Maybe they'll change the rules around a few things in future, but that's what we were playing under today, congrats to them, huge effort and what an amazing way to win your first.

Damn I just wish Boult hadn't stood on that rope. :(
The asterisk isn't to slight England it's too give that lost credit to your boys

6 weeks of cricket for a tie... Then another tie! Then - pause, countback, weird rule implemented everybody go home thanks for playing.

It just doesn't happen in other major sporting final events, American sporting finals, Football code finals/world cups etc. Look at Tennis and it's on court tiebreaker. Imagine if last night it was counted back to most aces

I guess time consumption is what hurts cricket here but after 6 weeks you'd think they could spend another half hour on a second super over.

I truly believe in time, when the elation of being crowned WC champions passes, most English will agree a bit more with the opposing argument laid here today

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Congratulations england

Im not heartbroken at all tbh. Extremely frustrated, but all i want more than anythkmg is england here for the test series so we can break their souls.

I dont trust myself to post reasonably and i dont want to sour grapes after no sleep so will keave it there.

Stokes, buttler, the entire nz bowling attack, the english attack, nicolls 50...all immense. All clutch af. Tjat boulty over where 3 from 2 was needdd...clutch

Athlai

Not Terrible
Phlegm presumably just woke up in a bush somewhere, glanced at his phone and is now off to find sustenance and a blanket.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I think if there's a lesson to be learned here, it's that there's no substitution for preparation. You can't leave a single stone unturned, ever! You need to know, going into a match... or rather, you need to be mindful going into a match, of the number of boundaries that you hit, because there's always that possibility that the match will come a tie after a playing stepping on a rope, and the ball taking a deflection, you go to a super over, and then the super over comes a tie.

You just have to be thinking of these things. You have to be prepared.

TheJediBrah

I think if there's a lesson to be learned here, it's that there's no substitution for preparation. You can't leave a single stone unturned, ever! You need to know, going into a match... or rather, you need to be mindful going into a match, of the number of boundaries that you hit, because there's always that possibility that the match will come a tie after a playing stepping on a rope, and the ball taking a deflection, you go to a super over, and then the super over comes a tie.

You just have to be thinking of these things. You have to be prepared.
no that's crazy. Can't change your game plan and take extra risks just in case there's a tie and then a tied super over

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
no that's crazy. Can't change your game plan and take extra risks just in case there's a tie and then a tied super over
Lol great excuse if you get out while well on top in totally reckless fashion ... “I was just trying to get us across the line if there’s a tied match and a tied super over, geez!”

Actually maybe that’s what Munro has been doing all this time.