• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2016 pub

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watched most of the games so far. The wife asked me last night when she will get to see some attractive football? I know it's all perspective but I don't have an answer for her. In retrospect France were better than most. Packed defenses make for some pretty boring football and this is the Euros.

She has decided that Ronaldo will be the answer. One can but hope.
Portugal are one of the worst teams to watch. Take her out for dinner instead or she'll never watch another game.

I think it's been pretty good, but that might be mostly because so many of my favourite players have brought the goods. Great goals from Payet, Bale, Modric and Hoolahan already.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Some good goals and moments, but on the whole the games have been somewhat underwhelming for me so far. Tonight's match was good entertainment, but it wasn't exactly a classic spectacle for my money.

Would definitely agree with the suggestion that you avoid Portugal though. They are turgid.

It amuses me how the BBC have apparently cottoned on to this, and made all their advertisements and build up for the Portugal game tomorrow all about Ronaldo. No subtelty to it at all. Literally "Tune in tomorrow for Ronaldo!!!!....and the other Portuguese and Icelandic players" type stuff.

Daemon

BBC has quotes from various Russian news outlets excusing their fans for the violence.

I'm thinking this is probably the dregs of the Russian media but if anything but, there is a serious problem with the footballing culture in the country. Even the worst nationalist rags here will condemn violence.
Doesn't seem like it stops at the tabloids

The lads defended the honour of their country," Russian media quoted MP Igor Lebedev, who is also on the executive committee of the Football Union.
The spokesman for Russia's powerful Investigative Committee went even further.
"A normal man, as he should be, surprises them," tweeted Vladimir Markin, referring to European outrage at Russian hooligans. "They're used to seeing 'men' at gay parades," he concluded.
Fmd.

vcs

Doesn't seem like it stops at the tabloids

Fmd.
Really disturbing considering the recent context of the Florida shootings as well. Sad world we live in.

On a different note, I've really enjoyed this tournament so far. Euros never disappoint, and always an excellent timezone for Asian viewers to follow.

Daemon

Really disturbing considering the recent context of the Florida shootings as well. Sad world we live in.

On a different note, I've really enjoyed this tournament so far. Euros never disappoint, and always an excellent timezone for Asian viewers to follow.
The 9pm game for +5-8GMT isn't great tbh

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Portugal are one of the worst teams to watch. Take her out for dinner instead or she'll never watch another game.

I think it's been pretty good, but that might be mostly because so many of my favourite players have brought the goods. Great goals from Payet, Bale, Modric and Hoolahan already.
Yeah think it has been pretty good, there were lots of people saying the group stages were going to be awful but don't think it has been the case at all so far. No great games but very few bad ones either, some great goals and plenty of chances.

Redbacks

International Captain
The group games are often defensive but quite tense so having 16 teams go through possibly taken away a bit of the drama from results. That will amplify again once we get to the knockouts I think.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The group games are often defensive but quite tense so having 16 teams go through possibly taken away a bit of the drama from results. That will amplify again once we get to the knockouts I think.
I can see a few boring games happening in the last 16 actually. Where you have group winners v 3rd place finishers which devolve into attack v defence.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Russia vs Slovakia or Queens?? (Tennis) ... Major decision of the afternoon tv viewing....

Uppercut

Yeah think it has been pretty good, there were lots of people saying the group stages were going to be awful but don't think it has been the case at all so far. No great games but very few bad ones either, some great goals and plenty of chances.
I think the structure makes a draw in the first game a bad result, so everyone is trying to win. But we'll inevitably have situations in the second and third games where a draw suits both teams, so there'll be a few bad games then.

Tangles

I think the structure makes a draw in the first game a bad result, so everyone is trying to win. But we'll inevitably have situations in the second and third games where a draw suits both teams, so there'll be a few bad games then.
Teams that try for a draw but are incapable of doing it should be funny then. England spring to mind for a team who might try it but are frequently unable to manage a game like the Italians.

Tangles

Seemed like both Italy and Iceland were wearing away strips when it didn't look like there would have been a clash? Albania look like they normally wear red but France does have red socks so that ones explainable.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Seemed like both Italy and Iceland were wearing away strips when it didn't look like there would have been a clash? Albania look like they normally wear red but France does have red socks so that ones explainable.
Nobody wears their alternate strip when there's a clash with the other team's shirt. They are meant to stand out from each other. It's when they don't clash the alternate kits are required.

Anyway, Italy, Iceland, Portugal and Belgium all play in dark tones/black. It's conceivable that at a glance or in peripheral vision it might be hard to distinguish a team mate from an opposition player, which probably explains the change.

Tangles

Nobody wears their alternate strip when there's a clash with the other team's shirt. They are meant to stand out from each other. It's when they don't clash the alternate kits are required.

Anyway, Italy, Iceland, Portugal and Belgium all play in dark tones/black. It's conceivable that at a glance or in peripheral vision it might be hard to distinguish a team mate from an opposition player, which probably explains the change.
Clash a poor word choice but yeah seemed odd. I guess I can buy the dark times it's just preferable to see regular strips. I'm probably more sensitive to this because the US paradigm of every away team wears white is annoying.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Wouldn't be surprised if there's a marketing drive to wear all the strips to be honest, or some other initiative driven by a desire to make money.