• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English national football, where do we go from here?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The silly thing is, in the group there were a couple of moments that without them I suspect England would've won the group (and then got into the weakest quarter of the group and be good bets for a semi spot)

Obviously there's the Rob Green moment (and without that I think the opening day win would've settled everyone down for the next 2 group games) but there's also the fact that it was only the 92nd minute goal from the USA that knocked England off top spot.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBH, it would have been a disgrace had England topped that group considering the football they played. They really were dire. I doubt they would have made it out of most of the other groups in the tournament. They played their best football of the tournament between the 35th and 65th minute of the match against Germany, IMO.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, it would have been a disgrace had England topped that group considering the football they played. They really were dire. I doubt they would have made it out of most of the other groups in the tournament. They played their best football of the tournament between the 35th and 65th minute of the match against Germany, IMO.
Not topping the Group saved England the greater humiliation of losing to Ghana. There was nothing about any of the matches involving the sides in question to suggest that England would have beaten Ghana and Uruguay. This was the most disorganised shambles in living memory (in fact my uncle Percy has been dead since 1946 and can't remember anything worse either). Full marks for originality though, this is the first time at this level of the game that I've seen a team unable to defend when the opposition has a goal kick.:) We were dull as ditchwater under Sven and in some ways underchieved but they at least did do most of the basics like defending as a unit and occasionally passing the ball to each other.:)

Capello OUT.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He was wonderful.

Apparently the reason behind Rooney's lack of form was that he was caught with a creature of the night prior to the WC and was worried it might come out anytime soon. Also, heard another story that he wanted to have some fun with a maid in the teams hotel but Capello went ape.

Another good story coming out is that the squad is split between camp JT and camp Gerrard. JT doesn't like Gerrard as Gerrard was granted a super injunction covering up for having hows your father with a young girl and she is now up the duff. JT thinks it is double standards. Gerrard and his minions refused to support JT's attempted insurrection.
Here's hoping that CW can afford some good solicitors .. :)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
True. I don't know how the Germans do it but they always produce a focused side in these major international tournaments. The likes of Podolski, Schweinsteiger, Lahm and Klose seem to save their best for their country. I think they'll beat Argentina fairly comfortably despite having a lot less "talent" on paper.
They produce a focused side because the national side is undoubtedly the focus. Players like cowardly thug focus on their ****house Liverpool club. Even Torres was sacrificed in the longer term so he could try and prop up the clown that has finally buggered off to Inter Milan. A lot of *foreign* Premiership players got injured coming into to the World Cup too. I think Brazil are one of the most extreme examples. A lot of their players just simply don't give a toss about playing for their clubs, but most of them are a completely different player when they're with the national side.

grecian

TBH, an awful lot of these rumours flying about. Not sure I believe any of them, just internet BS, trying to make these peoples lives miserable, because they did it to us. I will be interested to see the Sundays though, just to see if any of it may have some kind of tendril of truth.

I'm for Capello staying myself, but I don't even care enough to argue for it:)

Much more interested in City's new flying winger, thank god I can stop worrying about this shambles for another two years....

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon the Lampard "goal" will probably guilt FIFA into giving us the 2018 World Cup. (hosting it that is, not presenting us with the trophy).

Uppercut

The silly thing is, in the group there were a couple of moments that without them I suspect England would've won the group (and then got into the weakest quarter of the group and be good bets for a semi spot)

Obviously there's the Rob Green moment (and without that I think the opening day win would've settled everyone down for the next 2 group games) but there's also the fact that it was only the 92nd minute goal from the USA that knocked England off top spot.
It's true. The line between defeat and victory are so thin. I'd estimate that managing a national side in a World Cup is about 95% luck. Either that or Lippi and Domenech have both mysteriously transformed from geniuses into clowns in the space of four years.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Domenech has been a clown for 4 years though. They were awful at the beginning of the last World Cup, and made the final largely off the back of Zidane's form. They then struggled to qualify for the Euros, losing twice to Scotland in the process, before being crap at the Euros. In qualification for this World Cup, they finished behind Serbia, struggled in the playoffs vs Ireland, and have been completely and utterly dire again, carrying on the pattern of 4 years. The only difference between now and 4 years ago is that France don't have a complete and utter genius carrying an entire team.

vcs

It's true. The line between defeat and victory are so thin. I'd estimate that managing a national side in a World Cup is about 95% luck. Either that or Lippi and Domenech have both mysteriously transformed from geniuses into clowns in the space of four years.
No, Domenech has always been a clown and basically got lucky that Zidane's swansong coincided with his reign in 2006, giving him four more years in charge. After that, they bombed out at the Euros, shouldn't have made the WC at all, and embarrassed themselves royally once they got there.

Lippi should never have come back, the Italian squad this time wasn't great and seemed to lack hunger.

Pothas

Yeah leave him in charge until 2012 and then after he has won everything with Real Madrid we can get Mourinho to lead us to world cup glory:ph34r:

Uppercut

Domenech has been a clown for 4 years though. They were awful at the beginning of the last World Cup, and made the final largely off the back of Zidane's form. They then struggled to qualify for the Euros, losing twice to Scotland in the process, before being crap at the Euros. In qualification for this World Cup, they finished behind Serbia, struggled in the playoffs vs Ireland, and have been completely and utterly dire again, carrying on the pattern of 4 years. The only difference between now and 4 years ago is that France don't have a complete and utter genius carrying an entire team.
Yeah, Domenech's a complete joke. Should never have lasted more than a couple of games when it emerged that he used astrology to pick the side.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
95%? That's either a typo or completely absurd.

Uppercut

Conservative estimate, I'd say. Seven matches. Take a random selection of seven matches of a Premier League season and see who the champions would be.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
How on earth can you compare seven random league matches with an international knockout competition? Complete nonsense and not an avenue worth exploring any further.