• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England squad discussion

King Pietersen

International Captain
Smalling shouldn't be there. Walker's not great, but he's certainly better than Smalling. Not sure about Jones either, but can see why he was picked. Nice to see Stones amongst the on-standby selections. Glad to see Barkley get the call-up too. Only other disappointment is no Barry, but I can't say I was expecting him to get called up, more wishful thinking than anything.

So long as we go with:

Hart

Johnson
Jagielka
Cahill
Baines

Gerrard
Henderson/Wilshere

Sterling
Lallana

Rooney
Sturridge

We should do okay. Not going to win it, but we've definitely given ourselves the best chance.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeah, the only real gripe could be Smalling's inclusion, but other than that, he's picked well. Not like Smalling's going to play a big part anyway. Hopefully Johnson will stay fit!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No complaints really other than the fact I would have Stones in for one of Smalling or Jones. Other than that it is basically what i'd have picked.

Lampard better be a sub though as him and Gerrard didn't work when they were at their peak so no chance when they past their best.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the end, we're struggling badly for defenders. Jones and Smalling have been toilet this year, but they have experience of Champions League footy, so better than inexperience, I suppose.

Walker is probably worse than any of them though. Right-back is a terrible area for us.

First England squad since 1954 not to feature a Spurs player apparently. Our Arse contingent should be happy.

Scaly piscine

I don't care as long as I don't have to watch the 'trusted' or 'reliable' or 'workhorse' Milner come on, be at fault for a goal but no-one bothers to mention and generally play like a total ****ing plodder when he gets the ball.

Uppercut

Walker is injured is he not? Smalling is definitely worse than Walker as RB, he's really terrible there. If Johnson (who has also been terrible this season) breaks down I guess it has to be Jones at RB.

I wouldn't have taken Stones either. It's too few games to really get a measure of a CB's quality and you don't really want to be taking a punt in that position.

Praise the lord, no Andy Carroll.

Uppercut

Milner's had a good season and noticeably improved technically since four years ago. He's definitely not hate-figure material.

grecian

Milner's had a good season and noticeably improved technically since four years ago. He's definitely not hate-figure material.
Yeah, I was a hater, but he's really done well this season, when asked of him.

Anyway, I should say, well done Roy, I must admit I wasn't expecting as bold a squad from him. He's basically put all the young talent in, that may make a difference.

I doubt Harry (for instance) would have. So fair play to the bloke. Never going to agree with the whole 23, and he has no choices with the defence really, particularly with Walker injured.

I know some wanted him to go cap in hand to Terry, and there's no doubt he'd be a better option than some in the squad. Yet in the end it just would tell all the youngsters they're not good enough (which may be true, but not too clever), and in the end he's still slow and getting older.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's (Milner) too plain to be hated.

Would definitely have taken Barry over Lampard, and would have preferred not to have seen Jones and Smalling selected, but, as others have said, lack of alternatives etc...

Otherwise a pretty decent squad for mine; much in line with what I expected really,

Last edited:

Uppercut

You do wonder when Milner would play, though. He's probably last-choice in all of his possible positions.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Could see him being brought on as a "hard-working" player to help protect a lead when other players are tiring. That's about it, barring a truly horrible injury crisis.

Edit: Could also see him being started out wide if Roy decides he wants to be particularly cautious/defensive.

Last edited:

grecian

You do wonder when Milner would play, though. He's probably last-choice in all of his possible positions.
I wouldn't be at all shocked if he started TBH.

and we went something like this:

Gerard Henderson, Milner
Sterling Rooney
Sturridge

Would be a solid way to go against Italy and Uruguay.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, how the hell is Kieran Gibbs not (at the very least) on standby? If one of the left backs gets injured and Flanagan gets called up as replacement it'll be total tosh.

Scaly piscine

Milner doesn't have a role at international level. He's ponderous and imprecise on the ball, his positional sense when defending is absent. He doesn't offer anything. He's a Milner. That's it.

Uppercut

Could see him being brought on as a "hard-working" player to help protect a lead when other players are tiring. That's about it, barring a truly horrible injury crisis.

Edit: Could also see him being started out wide if Roy decides he wants to be particularly cautious/defensive.
Welbeck's probably a better option for that at this stage, though.