• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England squad discussion

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think he was on BBC. A particular highlight being his phone repeatedly ringing whilst he was on air.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Henderson is wearing 14 which I believe he wears for Liverpool; could be he asked for it - he'd be in my XI for sure

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Chamberlain also wears 15 for Arsenal.

Love it when stuff like this is announced. It's a sign that the WC is srsly close and I'm justified in feeling excited.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gerrard-Lampard, while still dire, would probably be less dire than it used to be since they both actually play that position for their clubs. Whereas before they both played something similar to Rooney's role, with Rooney also in the side.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gerrard-Lampard, while still dire, would probably be less dire than it used to be since they both actually play that position for their clubs. Whereas before they both played something similar to Rooney's role, with Rooney also in the side.
Yeah it is true, my problem now would be that I'd have pretty much all of the other midfielders starting ahead of Lampard, even Wilshere

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Fat Frank and Stevie G start, I will not watch the first England World Cup match of my life. Oh I'll follow it on Twitter, and wait for the inevitable substitution whilst we're strangely labouring in midfield, and then turn it on.

My blood pressure can't handle watching those two together in it's predictable, stodgy awfulness. I'm being quite serious, and I want someone to hold me too it if it happens, because I'll probably forget.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't reckon you could bring yourself to do that. But with the kick off being 11pm you could, if the lineup is announced the day before, drink yourself into a stupor before kick off so you've fallen asleep

I do agree with UC; they wouldn't really be playing together in the old sense if Gerrard is sat deep. My issue as I said is with Lamps starting rather than the old Gerrard-Lampard fiasco

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Reckon I'd go

Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines

Gerrard

Henderson
Ox

Sterling
Sturridge
Rooney

Lallana and Barkley to be used from the bench initially for me, against tiring defences in the heat

Also Sturridge in the middle, Rooney out wide. Rooney the better all round player and more adaptable so makes more sense for him to go wide, IMO

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reckon I'd go

Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines

Gerrard

Henderson
Ox

Sterling
Sturridge
Rooney

Lallana and Barkley to be used from the bench initially for me, against tiring defences in the heat

Also Sturridge in the middle, Rooney out wide. Rooney the better all round player and more adaptable so makes more sense for him to go wide, IMO
Pretty much, but your not mentioning Wilshere. why's that?

I'd probably go Milner instead of Ox, if you're going to go 3 up-frontish, then you want even more solidity behind, it's worth putting an average player like him in to do the dirty-work, if you've got those 3 up-front. I like the Ox, but he's played little football.

Johnson at r-b fills me with dread, but the other options are even more dreadful'

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I actually forgot about Milner. Rate him more than most which makes me regret leaving him out.

I obviously exaggerate my feelings for Wilshere. In all honesty could live with him starting but not at Henderson's expense. Wilshere probably should go on to be the better footballer but at the minute it's not close (if I'm not mistaken you probably agree, or at least that JH is better anyway) and I'm not sure they'd work well together - they didn't against Denmark (I think?) anyway

In all honesty I think there is a lot of talent in the squad but the defence is piss poor, especially if we get injuries or suspensions.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Predicted 2014 side in 2007

Bo-umNmIQAAWWxd.jpg

Other than how laughably wrong it is, I find it interesting how they always predict current players will never make it. Amazed they didn't have any of Gerrard, Rooney, Cole etc.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is Michael Johnson still a thing anymore? He was spoken of as an FEC.

Jeez, a real list of "WTF happened toers" tho, eh?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Walcott the only good shout, in that he'd surely be in the first XI if fit

But if this proves anything it's that Joe Hart was **** for us