• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting case Headley, and I've been giving him a good deal of consideration of late - I always used to subscribe to the "he wasn't quite as good as his record suggests due to the minnow-bashing" school of thought but I've changed my mind for reasons that will appear on the front page in a couple of weeks

Howe_zat

Audio File
South Africa have thrown up their fair share of spicy decks over the past few years.
As have England and NZ. It's a bit of an unfair question to ask for a 'series' played on green wickets when matches on them at Cape Town or Trent Bridge have been followed with batting wickets at Lord's or the Wanderers.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The delay in announcing #11 makes me suspect we have a surprise in waiting.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Gotta be Johnny Bairstow at number 11 with Headley missing out.
Phantom forever Headley never
:laugh: I'm maintaining my prediction that, the way this study is structured, Headley will not only be top 10, but top 5/6. The only thing I could see stopping it is the fact that his Tests played % is below 50%. I don't know how many points DoG takes off for that.

Hammond and it will shock many.
I reckon that's not a bad shout at all.

Days of Grace

International Captain
11. Jacques Kallis (South Africa) (1995-present day)

Career Length (Days): 6272
Percentage of team's matches played: 90%
Career Average: 56.10
Adjusted career average: 52.10
Adjusted away average: 50.77
Adjusted top-opposition average: 46.04
Top Tier centuries: 7 (rank 9th=)
Second tier centuries: 9
Third tier centuries: 16
Significant innings: 63 (rank 2)
Significant innings per match: 0.39

Great innings: 3
1st Test: Australia v South Africa at Adelaide, Dec 14-18, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.95
2nd Test: Australia v South Africa at Melbourne, Dec 26-29, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.61
2nd Test: South Africa v England at Durban, Dec 26-30, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 15.43

Innings worth average: 3.37

25 Test peak adjusted average: 73.17 (2003-2006)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 63.50 (2002-2007)

Quality Points: 596
Career Points: 134
Peak Points: 150
TOTAL POINTS: 880

Some of the most rigorous discussion on CricketWeb has been on the merits of Jacques Kallis. His detractors point to his selfishness and slow-scoring rate which never seems to adjust to the game situation (in fact he has scored at a much faster rate in recent years, perhaps reflecting South Africa's growing strength as a team). His supporters merely need to point to his record. And since this is a statistical analysis, Kallis was always going to end up near the top 10. He just misses the cut primarily due to his somewhat low T/O average, 88% of his overall average. He also has a relatively low amount of great innings, certainly when you see that he has 63 significant innings overall. Two of his "great" innings also came in heavy losses, so you could question whether they deserve to be named as great innings in the first place. But no one can deny that Kallis has been one of the giants of test batting in the modern era and he is not finished yet. He could still find a place in the top 10 in the next couple of years.

Riggins

International Captain
one of those great innings run out 99 by marto. he just couldn't stop running blokes out for 99. what a guy.