• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you think Murali was a chucker?

Do you think Murali was a chucker?

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What? In high performance coaching there is a way to measure revs on a ball with camera technology. Been doing it for a few years now.

In fact, channel 9 even use it in their coverage.
Did not know that - was it available in 04? Also is it thought to be accurate? I would have thought it would be extremely hard using cameras that you use in tv coverage.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did not know that - was it available in 04? Also is it thought to be accurate? I would have thought it would be extremely hard using cameras that you use in tv coverage.
I have no idea when it was first used, but I know they've been doing it at the Centre of Excellence for a few years now. I doubt it was done in 04 (I wasn't commenting on Murali).

It's thought to be as accurate as possible I suppose. They slow it down with super slow mo then track how many revs per second.

They've also done studies into 'backspin revs' for fast bowling to determine its relationship with swing.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, they can? But unless they are doing it frequently, then it's not an issue and it won't be reported by the umpire in the first place?
Holy cow, so chucking infrequently is perfectly legal while doing it frequently is illegal. Now, excuse me, what is that frequency of tolerance and could we have reasons behind that number?

Burgey

Holy cow, so chucking infrequently is perfectly legal while doing it frequently is illegal. Now, excuse me, what is that frequency of tolerance and could we have reasons behind that number?
Not as often as Murali.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
off-spin and off-spinners would have become extinct because of the shorter boundaries, big,broad modern bats ..Doosra helped the off-spinners to counter these..i say bend it that is both the rules and the elbow to accommodate the offies..
Yet the best offie in the world doesn't have a doosra.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You mean he bowls with the same action, speed and spin but somehow the intensity is different? What does that even mean? His eye pops out more?
I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility to suggest that Murali, on a hot day where he'd bowled 30 overs already, and was a bit fatigued as a result, may have chucked the odd delivery here or there.

uvelocity

International Coach
They've also done studies into 'backspin revs' for fast bowling to determine it's relationship with swing.
moar info pls

The reason they settled on the 15 degree limit is because they worked out that's when it becomes visible to the human. If that's the case, then it should be easy - if the players arm bends significantly, then they are chucking it (if need be they could perhaps use some template footage of a bowler bending their arm 15 degrees as a point of comparison). As you said, it's not particle physics, but imo they are doing a good job of turning it into that.
I cbf looking it up but found some info which disputed this methodology, that it's really the rate of bend acceleration which is what makes a chuck look like a chuck. From a uni in NZ that does lots of biometric studies.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Got my school protractor out and measured a pic of his arm the other day. Bent all out of shape. Definitely threw it.

Top_Cat

It's an improvement on doing it in the lab, but I don't see why it wouldn't suffer some of the same problems. You don't necessarily bowl with the same intensity in the nets as in a real match. Look, if it was up to me I'd scrap any of this formal testing stuff, and just have a panel of experts review real match footage from multiple angles, in slow motion etc. and come to a conclusion. The reason they settled on the 15 degree limit is because they worked out that's when it becomes visible to the human. If that's the case, then it should be easy - if the players arm bends significantly, then they are chucking it (if need be they could perhaps use some template footage of a bowler bending their arm 15 degrees as a point of comparison). As you said, it's not particle physics, but imo they are doing a good job of turning it into that.
All models are wrong but some are useful.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility to suggest that Murali, on a hot day where he'd bowled 30 overs already, and was a bit fatigued as a result, may have chucked the odd delivery here or there.
I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility to suggest that McGrath or Swann, on a hot day where he'd bowled 30 overs already, and was a bit fatigued as a result, may have chucked the odd delivery here or there.

Ruckus

International Captain
yeah that's fine, and answers your previous question about frequency; obviously if it is more or less a one off in a game, then it isn't an issue (although the umpire by the rules should still probably no-ball it). Chucking is only ever an issue if it looks to be a consistent feature of someone's bowling...i.e. something that isn't merely an anomaly.

Ruckus

International Captain
I cbf looking it up but found some info which disputed this methodology, that it's really the rate of bend acceleration which is what makes a chuck look like a chuck. From a uni in NZ that does lots of biometric studies.
What you were saying sounded promising but you lost all credibility at this point here imo.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility to suggest that McGrath or Swann, on a hot day where he'd bowled 30 overs already, and was a bit fatigued as a result, may have chucked the odd delivery here or there.
I'll agree with you to a point, but throwing (pun not intentional) Swann into the mix is ridiculous. His action is pretty much perfect.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Got my school protractor out and measured a pic of his arm the other day. Bent all out of shape. Definitely threw it.
A still pic? You got the definition of chucking fundamentally wrong.

Besides chucking is such a nob issue in case of spinners in my eyes. Have expressed my views on that before.