• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do You Like To Talk About Cricket?

Do You Like To Talk About Cricket in Real Life?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FTR if anyone's interested there's little I enjoy more in life than a good day's cricket filled with hooping outswingers and glorious cover-drives and pull strokes, between two evenly-matched-ish sides with ball dominating bat but only very slightly.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm not sure if I ever, at all, get into much in-depth cricketing discussion on a day-to-day basis on the kind of topics we bring up at CW. Daily chat at school generally has generally rotated around me slagging Ian Bell or Monty Panesar off (which may have to stop now that Monty's in the bin and Bell may have grown a pair of balls). It never really gets far beyond a two minute analysis of why Graeme Smith is too fat and ugly to deserve that girlfriend or why I'd have caught that one that Kamran Akmal didn't.

Then of course there are the conversations with kids which are entertaining for the misapprehensions you come up against and the fact that you are trying to develop a sound understanding of the game in their minds that you don't need clouding by any crazy ideas. With patience you get there: I had a really intriguing chat last week with a 10yo in my County squad over technical things about base and foot positions w-r-t the ways Amla has got himself out LBW this winter. Then of course there's the technical chat you get with other coaches which doesn't stop improving my understanding of the fundamentals of the game and my ability to work inside it.

bryce

International Regular
It's funny when you hear a group of people near you having a couple of beers loosely discussing cricket then you hear them say something that is incorrect or they are trying to think of an overseas players name but none of them can remember it, I always love being the guy who casually buts in and gives them the correct answer. No team-mates ever give me credit for knowing a thing about cricket, only people that know because they went to school with me, so they never bother discussing anything. 5 seasons of playing club cricket and i've barely had one in-depth discussion on cricket. If people knew I was a cricket freak they probably would have let me captain a couple of these sides but I haven't captained a side since I was 12 when my dad was coach, lol. Somehow my image seems to allude people to thinking that I have a passing interest in cricket at best.

Julian87

State Captain
I just hate being in a conversation with a good bloke and having to choose whether to just shrug off and agree with a ****ing moronic statement or launch into why I think they're wrong about something I'm pretty passionate about.

BUT

I enjoy little more than a few beers and watching and talking the cricket (or rugby league) with good mates or family that love and understand the game like I do. Rugby league is a bit different because it is so tribal and conversations oft deteriorate into "Souths are ****house" etc etc.

Also agree with how annoying it is when people (generally females) ask you how you went in the cricket/who is winning the cricket....etc etc....but the very worst is when a female is trying to organise something for a Saturday night or arvo and wants to know specifically 'when does the game finish?'

Julian87

State Captain
Haha, so true and when he's doing well it becomes about how much of a **** he is.
Yeah this is so, so true.

I had huge arguments with this old dude at my new club in Sydney about 3/4 years ago because I couldn't let him get away with telling everyone how **** Shane Watson is.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It's funny when you hear a group of people near you having a couple of beers loosely discussing cricket then you hear them say something that is incorrect or they are trying to think of an overseas players name but none of them can remember it, I always love being the guy who casually buts in and gives them the correct answer. No team-mates ever give me credit for knowing a thing about cricket, only people that know because they went to school with me, so they never bother discussing anything. 5 seasons of playing club cricket and i've barely had one in-depth discussion on cricket. If people knew I was a cricket freak they probably would have let me captain a couple of these sides but I haven't captained a side since I was 12 when my dad was coach, lol. Somehow my image seems to allude people to thinking that I have a passing interest in cricket at best.
I love this post.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, in a quiet moment of self-reflection brought about by this thread, Ive just realized I dont really like discussing any topic in real life with other people. It has dawned on me that my answer in this thread is not about cricket but more about myself. How interesting.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
It all depends on the person really. Most people I'm good friends with aren't really in to cricket, but have an open mind about most things so are generally engaged in my rants/raves about it. Even when talking with people who know more about the game, differing opinions don't sour the conversation.

The only problem I have is trying to convince people that really don't like the sport that it's not boring. They won't listen to any of the arguments you put forward about what makes it enjoyable. A simple "It might be a deep and enjoyable game for some but I'm just not into it" is too objective for them most of the time.

I could apply the above to any sports I'm interested in though.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Talk cricket with anyone. Almost all my mates follow cricket to an extent and whenever we're sitting around sinking a few beers talk almost inevitably turns to cricket when a series is on, especially during summer.

Since leaving school a lot of people who previously didn't care much have become interested in the game and follow it to an extent which is fantastic. It's weird to see friends who never played it at school become knowledgeable about cricket

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm, in a quiet moment of self-reflection brought about by this thread, Ive just realized I dont really like discussing any topic in real life with other people. It has dawned on me that my answer in this thread is not about cricket but more about myself. How interesting.
By "discussing any topic" do you mean you just don't like talking?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Give me an example of something which would to you be talking without discussing. I've always thought of all talking as discussing something TBH, even if it's only how much further we have to walk before we get to the pub we're headed for or why every single dish in the house is less than clean.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Give me an example of something which would to you be talking without discussing. I've always thought of all talking as discussing something TBH, even if it's only how much further we have to walk before we get to the pub we're headed for or why every single dish in the house is less than clean.
Nah, he means a more in-depth, structured conversation about something you need some kind of knowledge (or believe you have some sort of knowledge) to hold. I think, anyway.