• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do You Like To Talk About Cricket?

Do You Like To Talk About Cricket in Real Life?

• Total voters

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
You may get away from the statistical bull****, but by-and-large as pointed-out you also pretty much get away from stats full-stop, and without stats there's not a great deal of point having cricket-related discussions IMO.
You don't have to be having structured arguments though. I get much more enjoyment out of general discussions - the non-scientific side of the game.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Yeah pretty much the same I don't talk about stats unless needed to prove a point otherwise they are useless.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't see how there's no point in talking about cricket if stats aren't involved, am I missing something? :unsure:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't see how there's no point in talking about cricket if stats aren't involved, am I missing something? :unsure:
No, but a certain other poster might be.

Cricket's a sport, not a comparitive science. Stats can have a part to play in discussions, but they can't encapsulate how watching cricket can make one feel. That moment of stunned despair on Thursday when Belly edge the first ball of Morkel's spell thru to the slips and the relief-tinged elation when Onions was able to safely let the same bowler's last ball safely pass him by. Stats would tell you it was just another dot ball, but it was so much more than that.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
No, but a certain other poster might be.

Cricket's a sport, not a comparitive science. Stats can have a part to play in discussions, but they can't encapsulate how watching cricket can make one feel. That moment of stunned despair on Thursday when Belly edge the first ball of Morkel's spell thru to the slips and the relief-tinged elation when Onions was able to safely let the same bowler's last ball safely pass him by. Stats would tell you it was just another dot ball, but it was so much more than that.
One Nil. Now that's a stat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You don't have to be having structured arguments though. I get much more enjoyment out of general discussions - the non-scientific side of the game.
Personally I get equal enjoyment out of both (wouldn't bother having one or the other if I didn't enjoy said TBH).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because numbers are an irrevocable part of the game of cricket. Obviously not all discussions will revolve around using said numbers to prove who's better than who but without numbers there is no cricket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah but seriously, when me and my best mate talk cricket we hardly talk stats. We talk about how patheticall;y stressed I got when it looked like Ponting and Hussey were gonna bat forever on the last day of the Ashes. We talk about the day the Pakistan crowd flocked in to see Afridi only for Flintoff to dismantle him first ball. We talk about winning in the dark in karachi. We do not talk about averages and strike rates, hardly ever

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And that's the sort of discussion I only ever have from time to time and fleetingly... before moving on to discussions where stats are heavily involved.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah - nothing wrong with that - just that I dispute the notion that it's pointless to discuss cricket without stats

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which is why I only said it's pretty pointless for me to discuss it. The sort of stuff you're talking about is stuff I only find can be discussed on a brief basis.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBF you said:

You may get away from the statistical bull****, but by-and-large as pointed-out you also pretty much get away from stats full-stop, and without stats there's not a great deal of point having cricket-related discussions IMO.
which to me indicated that you felt any non-stats cricket discussions were pointless. But if you just meant for yourself, then fair enough

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They're pointless for me. Obviously, what has point for anyone else is not for me to decide. :p

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is why I don't think you will ever really enjoy the game, you can have a great discussion about cricket without debating who is a better player or whatever it is that needs stats.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is why I don't think you will ever really enjoy the game
What you mean I think is "I don't think you will ever really enjoy the game in the manner which I do". Enjoyment is a personal thing and different people find different things to enjoy about the same thing.
you can have a great discussion about cricket without debating who is a better player or whatever it is that needs stats.
You can, as I say, but when I'm involved I don't tend to find such discussions last more than a minute or two.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What you mean I think is "I don't think you will ever really enjoy the game in the manner which I do". Enjoyment is a personal thing and different people find different things to enjoy about the same thing.

You can, as I say, but when I'm involved I don't tend to find such discussions last more than a minute or two.
Yeah fair enough, it is not really meant to be a crticism, it always seems that you see cricket more as a study, nothing wrong with that though.