• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW All-Time XI Wicket Keepers

CW All Time XI Wicket-Keeper

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jager

International Debutant
I have three picks so far that did not feature in Crincinfo XI: G. Pollock, Imran and Hadlee.
Trumper, Weekes, Miller, Ames, G Pollock and Harvey for me. Might have chosen Dravid over Weekes on another day.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
would rather have the best keeper because for this game against Mars they may not give us many chances.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Was torn between Blackham, Tallon, Strudwick and Cameron before realising I couldn't vote for any of them. But could vote for Walcott...

watson

Banned
I'm not sure that Gilchrist is that far ahead of Sangakarra in either keeping or batting. It may be worth a look to see whether perception matches reality. After all Gilchrist never had to face McGrath and Warne in a test match. If Sangakarra has scored a stack of runs against Australia, the best attack of his time then he may be in contention..........

watson

Banned
Sangakkara played 8 innings against Australia as wicket keeper in 2004. His concurrent batting average was 14.25

However, after 9 innings (2004-12) where he played purely as a batsmen he managed to average 68.00.

Quite a substantial difference. It therefore appears at first glance that Sangakkara didn't handle the duties of keeping and batting very successfully. Although I'm sure that there are a whole lot of other factors.

Gilchrist beats Sangakkara?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Sanga's best time as a batsman came when he didn't have the gloves though. Averages something like 70/80 odd IIRC without the gloves.

Voted for Gilchrist here, but for me it is pretty close between Flower and him. Just the attacking style and the better wicketkeeping ability slightly gives Gilly the edge.

Flower though was a gun in his own right, whose tour to India is still fresh in my memory where he almost single handedly carried the Zimbabwe batting and did pretty well with the gloves too.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's Gilchrist pretty comfortably IMO.

Both Flower and Sangakkara were/are legitimately better batsmen than him and by a significant distance AFAIC but even if you ignore the fact that Gilchrist's batting would be more suited to the role at #7, Flower's wicket keeping was below par and Sangakkara was not in the Gilchrist class as a batsman before he gave away the gloves. I legitimately think John Waite and Les Ames pose the greatest challenges and the former isn't even on the poll.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Just reading back on this thread, i think either Gilchrist's keeping is being overrated or Flower's underrated a bit. Gilchrist was a better overall keeper no doubt, but it was not like Flower was a Kamran Akmal either.

Did pretty decently with the gloves coming up to the spinners whenever he came here.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Sangakkara played 8 innings against Australia as wicket keeper in 2004. His concurrent batting average was 14.25

However, after 9 innings (2004-12) where he played purely as a batsmen he managed to average 68.00.

Quite a substantial difference. It therefore appears at first glance that Sangakkara didn't handle the duties of keeping and batting very successfully. Although I'm sure that there are a whole lot of other factors.

Gilchrist beats Sangakkara?
obviously, sangakkara doesn't deserve to mentioned in the same breath as Gilchrist. In before the stat police

smash84

The Tiger King
what?

Sangakkara is definitely a much better batsman than Gilchrist and that is without the stats

Jager

International Debutant
It's a real shame Gerry Alexander gave up first class cricket right when he started batting really well. Sounds like a real gentleman to me. Also, I think Gilchrist's keeping is overrated. I've seen him drop plenty recently while watching those Fox Sports classics.