• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket team draft

G.I.Joe

International Coach
1) Aubrey Faulkner - Was really disappointed when Goughy picked him a few turns before mine. Would have added a lot of allround strength to my side. Although I must admit that I didn't have him in mind from the start of the draft. I only remembered he existed after he was mentioned in the All time South African XI thread.

2) Allan Donald - Was my preference to partner Bond. I knew I wasn't going to get my hands on the likes of Marshall and McGrath, and had decided that Donald would be my pick in the third round. I'd have got him too, were it not for the fact that Gilchrist had been picked just before that turn, and I realised that picking a batsman keeper was more imperative at that point or they'd run out. So I went for Walcott instead and Donald was gone before my next turn.

If we're going for pleasant surprises:

1) Donald Bradman - I was second in the draft and he's in my team. 'nuff said :p

2) Bill Johnston - A member of the invincibles and a superb record. I'd thought of him halfway through the draft, but kept putting off his selection in order to better balance my team. Was very surprised he'd lasted as long as the 10th round.

3) Wilfred Rhodes - Shouldn't really have lasted as long as he did. I remember there was a phase a few years back when I first read of Rhodes and Mankad, and had formed a firm belief at the time, that they were definitely better than Botham and Kapil as the greatest all rounders for their countries.

Matt79

Global Moderator
National Stadium - Karachi for me.
Waqar and Imram are significantly better than their overall career records there, and are two of the top five wicket takers there. Reid took wickets at 27 there, cf. his career ave. 24. Off the other top wicket takers at ground, Qadir heads the list, of which 5 of the top 9 wicket takers there are spinners (and Imran and Waqar are two out of that nine), so although O'Reilly never played there, I'd back him to succeed (in fact I'd back him to succeed on any surface, but if it helps him :ph34r:).

Batting wise, Simpson is 2 tonnes from 2 innings there, Harvey made a 50 against a rampant Fazal Mahmoud that would be worth a ton in other circumstances, Chappell had success during his tour of Pakistan, albeit not so much at National, but I'd say he could perform well in Pakistan - similarly, Taylor’s effort in Peshawar, plus in Bangalore suggests he could adjust to subcontinental conditions just fine. Finally, Knott averages 96 with the bat at National, and Imran over 11 tests there averaged a lazy 58.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
3) Wilfred Rhodes - Shouldn't really have lasted as long as he did. I remember there was a phase a few years back when I first read of Rhodes and Mankad, and had formed a firm belief at the time, that they were definitely better than Botham and Kapil as the greatest all rounders for their countries.
Fair enough but it could be argued that Rhodes wasnt even the best from his village :)

As the old non-commital answer goes "Who’s the greatest all-rounder the game has produced? Well, he bats right-handed, bowls left-arm and was born in Kirkheaton."

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough but it could be argued that Rhodes wasnt even the best from his village :)

As the old non-commital answer goes "Who’s the greatest all-rounder the game has produced? Well, he bats right-handed, bowls left-arm and was born in Kirkheaton."
Yeah, yeah, but only one of them scored a hat-trick in a WC final.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1) players they really thought would last til their next pick but didn't (realistically thought/hoped - ie. don't say Sobers when you didn't have a pick in the top 5),
I guess Doug Walters. I had him lined up as my number 6, however Simon beat me to it.

2) players they completely forgot about but would have taken before someone eventually did

Quality batsman over Courtney Walsh. I was in a position to pick one of the very best batsman in Chappell, Ponting or Miandad but had Walsh chosen for me by someone else as I had two names listed as my NEXT pick, not next two picks.

3) players who no one picked, but who they very nearly did.
I was so close to picking NZ's finest opener Glenn Turner. I actually started writing about him, but in the end went for Haynes.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1) players they really thought would last til their next pick but didn't (realistically thought/hoped - ie. don't say Sobers when you didn't have a pick in the top 5),
Bob Willis, I really wanted him when I took John Snow but Goughy took him when he had those three picks I think. Was also gutted when Martin Crowe went as I was really hoping he would last ill my final pick, but that maybe wasnt realistic.

2) players they completely forgot about but would have taken before someone eventually did
I was pretty thorough, if anything I might have changed my tactics and gotten another high quality quick before I went for a middle order batsman.

3) players who no one picked, but who they very nearly did.
Michael Slater is one of my all time favourites and I was adamant he was going to be my second opener from the very start, however around pick 6 or 7 I started thinking about Hanif Mohammad and when he was still there in round 10 I was certain he would be a better option.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1) Didn't really think of my next pick until it was time, so this doesn't really apply to me.

2) Plenty of people actually

3) The people I came closest to picking but didn't were Colin Bland (great fielder, better stats than Crowe but I didn't pick him as I've already got two South Africans whose appearances were limited by sanctions) and Tatenda Taibu (I think McCullum's a total **** so would have preferred to pick Taibu really.

Jakester1288

International Regular
In hindsight Hussey was one of the worst pick when there was at least 20 batsmen who were a lot better than him. His average is nice though, and that counts for a lot.

I had to make a quick choice, I didn't think for a minute, and just typed his name down.

pskov

International 12th Man
In hindsight Hussey was one of the worst pick when there was at least 20 batsmen who were a lot better than him. His average is nice though, and that counts for a lot.

I had to make a quick choice, I didn't think for a minute, and just typed his name down.
He'll do well in the sim but obviously won't be as highly valued in the poll by the voters compared to many of the batsmen that were taken after him.

pskov

International 12th Man
The format for the poll that I have come up with is as follows:

Each player will write a paragraph or two (max of around 150 words) giving the rationale for building their team and how they envision them playing and email this to me.

I'll post a new thread with the teams listed anonymously in a random order with this paragraph attached.

People will send an email to an address I have set up listing their top 3 teams in order. Top team gets 5 points, 3 points for second, 1 point for third.

Total up the points and we have a winner!

Sound good to everyone? I'll also keep track of the votes of those who drafted so that we can see what the consensus of those who played was too, incase it was any different.

Simon

Shouldn't we wait for Jamee to come on a pick his last player or have I missed something?

pskov

International 12th Man
Yeah we'll wait for the ground draft to finish and Jamee to pick his wicketkeeper, but I'm giving you guys a heads up so we can discuss if that sounds ok to everyone.

Simon

Also can we have a rule where you cannot vote for your own team in the top 3?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He'll do well in the sim but obviously won't be as highly valued in the poll by the voters compared to many of the batsmen that were taken after him.
How are wicket keeping skills judged on Sims?

I think having Marsh at 7 is going to cost me, even though he was great behind the stumps.

It's all a bit of fun anyways though. :)