• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket team draft

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weaker in captaincy than others I suspect as well. Dhoni or Ponting are probably the weakest in terms of captaincy out of the teams I've seen so far. The importance of this shouldn't be underestimated either.
Yeh definitely agree with that too.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Weaker in captaincy than others I suspect as well. Dhoni or Ponting are probably the weakest in terms of captaincy out of the teams I've seen so far. The importance of this shouldn't be underestimated either.
Captaincy isn't really that obvious a decision for me.

My middle order batsman were all captains at various times - Dravid, Tendulkar, Gower and Sobers.

I'll end up going with Gary Sobers though.

pskov

International 12th Man
Steve Waugh as skipper with Bill Lawry as his deputy for me, that's one area where I feel I'll have a real advantage over most of the other teams.

Btw, I was surprised in my research to see that in 139 test matches between them, neither Jack Hobbs nor Denis Compton ever captained England. I guess I always knew that in the back of my mind, but it is almost quite odd that two players of such high stature in the game never led their country. I suppose I am just used to the modern thinking of 'make your best batsman captain' which didn't really exist in times gone by.

Simon

Reckon in Dexter and Hanif Mohammad I have a good set of heads as captain and vice-captain

pskov

International 12th Man
To pass the time, here is a quick best of the rest team I selected. Feel free to add yours, I am sure I have overlooked some players.

Gary Kirsten
Dennis Amiss
Zaheer Abbas
Peter May*
Seymour Nurse
Farokh Engineer+
Chris Cairns
Paul Reiffel
Fazal Mahmood
Derek Underwood
Jason Gillespie

May, Underwood and Engineer were all players I strongly considered selecting in the draft itself.

Simon

Would put in an extra batsman in place of Cairns, someone like Younis Khan.

Jakester1288

International Regular
SCG.

Was thinking of a sub-continent ground for the spinners, but SCG is good and with a few Australian's they will like that.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Somerset's up, but he's been more than 24 hours.

I'm taking Basin Reserve, Wellington. It will suit my quick bowlers down to the ground. With the wind behind Frank Tyson, he'll be unplayable.

pskov

International 12th Man
Code:
pskov - [B][COLOR="Navy"]Lord's, London, England[/COLOR][/B]
Goughy - [B][COLOR="Navy"]Headingley, Leeds, England[/COLOR][/B]
Michaelf7777777 - [B][COLOR="Gold"]MCG, Melbourne, Australia[/COLOR][/B]
Matt79 -[B][COLOR="Lime"]National Stadium, Karachi, Pakistan[/COLOR][/B]
Simon - [B][COLOR="Gold"]Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, Australia[/COLOR][/B]
Raghav - [b][COLOR="Gold"]WACA, Perth, Australia[/b][/COLOR]
Jamee999 - [B][COLOR="DarkRed"]Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados[/COLOR][/B]
Jakester1288 - [b][COLOR="Gold"]SCG, Sydney, Australia[/b][/COLOR]
Somerset - [B][COLOR="Gold"]The Gabba, Brisbane, Australia[/COLOR][/B]
HeathDavisSpeed - [B]Basin Reserve, Wellington, New Zealand[/B]
NUFAN
G.I. Joe
chaminda_00

Three players left to pick their ground then I can post the poll and we can start the voting process.

NUFAN is up to pick next.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
An English ground has to be my pick seeing as though I have 3 English bowlers.

Headingley was the ground where my players have performed best, but since it's been taken I'm going to go for Edgbaston, Birmingham, Or maybe I should change...

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Somebody name me some grounds that are awesome for both seam and spin please.
How about Old Trafford or Hobart?

Actually, if you don't mind I want Old Trafford.

Jim Laker was so awesome there and home of Sachin's first century.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It has been 24 hours and I'm over waiting. Went for a mixed ground in the other draft and it backfired bad. Going to take a punt on Murali and go with Galle International Stadium. Greatest pitch ever for spin bowlers. Might need O'Neil and Chappell to do a bit of bowling. But pitch also seams around fair bit so Bedsar should like it as well.

I'll also back my batsmen to outscore most sides as well.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Going for Newlands, Cape Town. Done some research, and the batsmen average just 29.91 there, which is lower than even the WACA and Barbados. Couldn't locate another ground where the batsmen average less than 30. Besides, there have been just 8 draws there in 43 tests, of which only 3 are post-readmission. Expecting the most purchase for my bowlers there. Going for boom or bust.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Three players left to pick their ground then I can post the poll and we can start the voting process.

NUFAN is up to pick next.
While you post the poll, make sure that all the teams (with grounds) are available at one place, else the poor voters will have a hard time searching for the teams in this thread...and probably a short paragraph from the 'managers' about the team and the ground...

Last edited:

pskov

International 12th Man
While you post the poll, make sure that all the teams (with grounds) are available at one place, else the poor voters will have a hard time searching for the teams in this thread...and probably a short paragraph from the 'managers' about the team and the ground...
Yes I was just going to list it all in the first post.