• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket team draft

Matt79

Global Moderator
The format for the poll that I have come up with is as follows:

Each player will write a paragraph or two (max of around 150 words) giving the rationale for building their team and how they envision them playing and email this to me.

I'll post a new thread with the teams listed anonymously in a random order with this paragraph attached.

People will send an email to an address I have set up listing their top 3 teams in order. Top team gets 5 points, 3 points for second, 1 point for third.

Total up the points and we have a winner!

Sound good to everyone? I'll also keep track of the votes of those who drafted so that we can see what the consensus of those who played was too, incase it was any different.
150 words really isn't very much - that's less than 14 words per player, forget team strategy. Maybe 300? You don't have to write that much if you don't want.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I don't think there should be a limit, if someone writes far too much then I'd imagine that most people won't be bothered to read it, just as someone that doesn't write anything (not looking at anyone in particular cough ^ cough ^ ) will be at a disadvantage.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
My team is already ****ed up enough as it is, I can't compete with the likes of Jamee anyway.
You've gone through the whole process of picking, just not sure why you'd give up at the last hurdle and not bother to explain your choices. Jamee's team is good but every team has a weakness - how many spin bowlers does he have for instance? If you select a pitch to take advantage of that, your team may well be competitive, and you have more batting depth which can't be a bad thing either.

Matt79

Global Moderator
The format for the poll that I have come up with is as follows:

Each player will write a paragraph or two (max of around 150 words) giving the rationale for building their team and how they envision them playing and email this to me.

I'll post a new thread with the teams listed anonymously in a random order with this paragraph attached.

People will send an email to an address I have set up listing their top 3 teams in order. Top team gets 5 points, 3 points for second, 1 point for third.

Total up the points and we have a winner!

Sound good to everyone? I'll also keep track of the votes of those who drafted so that we can see what the consensus of those who played was too, incase it was any different.
What's your email?

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
I dont want to write anything at all..

If you insist me to do, I can copy the text from cricinfo player page and give it to you

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not going to be able to put anything more together till we get home net access back, but I'll have the Kensington Oval, please.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Now that the last keeper has been selected, got to say really surprised no-one took either Don Tallon or Farokh Engineer.

pskov

International 12th Man
I was in a quandary over whether to select Dujon or Engineer, but went with the former as by then I had decided to go with an all pace attack and Dujon excelled at standing back to quicks. I would defo have taken Engineer ahead of Dhoni or McCullum though and over Rod Marsh too.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Tallon too was meant to be simply the best glovesman the game has seen, and was a better bat than his test average suggested (couldn't break into the team when he was in his batting form, and when he got his chance post WWII, his batting never recaptured its best), even if Bradman/Perry's selection of him at #6 in the supposed greatest alltime XI was a bit stupid.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great bowlers, think his batting is a bit weaker than 5 or 6 others though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Weaker in captaincy than others I suspect as well. Dhoni or Ponting are probably the weakest in terms of captaincy out of the teams I've seen so far. The importance of this shouldn't be underestimated either.

pskov

International 12th Man
pskov - Lord's, London, England
Goughy - Headingley, Leeds, England
Michaelf7777777 - MCG, Melbourne, Australia
Matt79 - National Stadium, Karachi, Pakistan
Simon - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, Australia
Raghav - WACA, Perth, Australia
Jamee999 - Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados
Jakester1288
Somerset
HeathDavisSpeed