• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Comparing the great fielders

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've just read an interesting article in the latest edition of "The Cricket Statistician". I enjoyed it not only because it's interesting, but also because it makes me realise my life is nowhere near as empty as that of its author, Charles Davis, who must have spent an incredible number of hours going back through cricket history trying to find out the fielder responsible for each and every run out in every single Test match ever played. He has managed to succeed in 91% of all cases, 93% since 1945, and every single one since 1995. He has then gone on to produce a table that produces a total as well as a rate of run outs per ten Tests. The results astonished me

Top total belongs to none other than Jack Hobbs, with 19. He also averages 3.11 per 10 Tests, much the highest of those with at least 10 run outs to their credit, with one exception, that exception being Chris Harris of New Zealand whose 11 came at thr remarkable rate of 4.78 per 10 Tests

To put that in context the only other man with ten or more who got more than half of Hobbs' average was Brian Statham with 1.57

In Hobbs time run outs accounted for between 4 and 5 % of dismissals, as opposed to around 3% this century, but it does still demonstrate that Hobbs must have a top class act in the covers

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Good stuff, was it only run outs or did the article speak to cathes as well?

stumpski

International Captain
Hobbs, and Bradman not long after, were known to be excellent cover fieldsmen in an age when few bothered to make much of an effort in the field. I assume that Davis went through a number of archived newspaper reports as the fielders responsible for run-outs have only been credited in the last 10 years or so, and even in Wisden were not always mentioned, especially in Tests played outside England.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
I would be interested to know where the likes of Rhodes, Bland and Randall come in btw.

And, I know it wasn't a Test but didn't Viv Richards run out three batsmen in the '75 World Cup final? Perhaps the greatest impact on a one-day match by someone who made no impact with bat or ball.

fredfertang

Wow. Where can I read it on the net?
Sadly I don't think you can - you'd have to subscribe to it

I would be interested to know where the likes of Rhodes, Bland and Randall come in btw.

And, I know it wasn't a Test but didn't Viv Richards run out three batsmen in the '75 World Cup final? Perhaps the greatest impact on a one-day match by someone who made no impact with bat or ball.
Randall and Rhodes weren't mentioned (I don't think, but I'll check tomorrow when I get home)

Bland had less than 10, but his average was 3.33, so better than Hobbs. Bradman had 9 and his average 1.73

One really odd one was that Boycott's was better than Gower's - both averaged about 0.9, but Boycs just a touch more

grecian

Sadly I don't think you can - you'd have to subscribe to it

Randall and Rhodes weren't mentioned (I don't think, but I'll check tomorrow when I get home)

Bland had less than 10, but his average was 3.33, so better than Hobbs. Bradman had 9 and his average 1.73

One really odd one was that Boycott's was better than Gower's - both averaged about 0.9, but Boycs just a touch more
Boycs would be well ahead if we counted the run-outs he contributed to when batting.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting exercise. The nature of run outs though makes me feel they can't be expressed statistically; in some ways it discriminates against fieldsmen who had such a reputation that you daren't leave your crease when it went anywhere near them.

grecian

Interesting exercise. The nature of run outs though makes me feel they can't be expressed statistically; in some ways it discriminates against fieldsmen who had such a reputation that you daren't leave your crease when it went anywhere near them.
Well apparently Hobbs had that reputation at one point, after a slow start. In fact, he and Rhodes seemed to start the quick single thing, and he realised the way to stop it in the field.

I know this is just from wiki, but isn't this just the coolest pic of the master and Sutcliffe:wub:

Any Aussies seen it for real? That my friends is how you do an Empire...

bagapath

International Captain
Whatte picture!!! I am so jealous of Jack Hobbs for having lived his whole life as a celebrated cricketer. What a way to make a living! His serious expression in this picture, as though he is a senior doc about to perform a brain surgery, makes me love him more.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look at their pants ffs

Fielding is one thing that is much, much better measured by the eye compared to statistics imo.