• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Butt/Amir/Asif - Spot Fixing Trial

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, of all the people/groups etc to say "got cheated out of their money" the NOTW is literally one of the only ones you can say "well no, they weren't." They got what they paid for ffs. And you're saying they were the only ones to get cheated! what the hell man! The Pakistani Cricket Board didn't get cheated out of their money? They still had to pay Amir's and Asif's match fees you know...

Last edited:

morgieb

While the crime damaged the integrity of international cricket, do people feel that it should stop them from playing cricket once the punishment is over? If judges think that 5 years, jail and humiliation is enough punishment, well then you should listen to them. Are most of the people who were saying "nup" legal experts?

Spikey

uh the judge didn't ban amir and asif from playing cricket at all so it's a moot point

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
If it had been a serious crime, he would have got more than 3 months in jail. As Fusion said, it was a white collar crime.

And it was a spot-fix, not a match fix.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it had been a serious crime, he would have got more than 3 months in jail. As Fusion said, it was a white collar crime.

And it was a spot-fix, not a match fix.
It was a serious crime, you just need to look at Butt's sentence to realise that, and in many ways for me the spot-fix/match-fix issue is a distinction without a difference. For me its Amir's youth that means he deserves a second chance - nothing else

Spikey

fairly confident bernie madoff and those impacted by him would argue white collar crime is serious...

But I don't even get why we're taking about that stuff. We're taking about what our feelings will be when they return to cricket after their ICC punishment is over. The ICC punishment happened before the trail. That stuff is irrelevant. My feelings? The ICC punishment wasn't harsh enough considering it's 2009/2011 (crime/punishment date) and the amount of training/teaching/lecturing they'd undertaken, so no I won't be happy when they come back, and I suspect that's how most of us feel. But that's not totally Asif and Amir's fault. I mean, they've got to accept part of the blame for the weak sentence 'cause you know they did the crime, but it's mostly the ICC's fault. I won't be mad at the PCB if they start picking Asif and Amir as soon as they can, but if they decide to over-look them for selection, I won't be mad.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
We can all have our own opinions but if the sentence shows anything it shows that the judge viewed it as a serious offence. You just don't get sent to prison in England for a first offence of petty crime.

Flem274*

123/5
He can return if Pakistan want him. This is something he will be reminded of every single test match regardless. If I were a convicted match fixer and not very good at batting, I wouldn't fancy facing the music of Dale Steyn and friends.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
There’s no profession in the real world I can think of where a convicted criminal is barred for life from employment.
I reckon most people would have no issues with him resuming his career in Pakistani domestic cricket. Just wouldn't want him to return to the scene of the crime, so to speak.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I reckon most people would have no issues with him resuming his career in Pakistani domestic cricket. Just wouldn't want him to return to the scene of the crime, so to speak.
That's how I feel, more or less. I wouldn't want to permanently take away his right to make a living from cricket nor do I think we can demand Pakistan don't pick him, but I'd think more of them if they didn't. I'm farly confident I wouldn't want him in an England shirt again were he one of my countrymen.

Analogous situation is Dwain Chambers, the GB 100m runner. He served a two-year ban for taking steriods (THG if memory serves) from 2003-05 but is forever banned from representing GB at the Olympics because of his ban. He can earn a living, but not compete at the highest level.

morgieb

tbh if he proves for a period of time in Pakistani domestic that he's good enough and hasn't ****ed up in the meantime, then I wouldn't have any qualms with him being picked for Pakistan.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
The prison sentence and the ban are punishment - appropriate and just IMO.

After they are served I have no problems with him playing again - even at the very top level - although I'm not sure the PCB would select him.