• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breakthrough Player of the 2009 English County Season

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ervine's been a massive disappointment just about throughout his Hampshire career.

I was thinking when he first upped sticks and left Zimbabwe for some decent-quality cricket that he was going to be one hell of a good batsman, quite possibly a ODI- and Test-standard one - and was going to play plenty for either Australia or England.

Just hasn't happened.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Be interesting to see how Joe "Nephew of Mike" Gatting gets on down at Sussex.

His old man Steve used to play for The Arsenal too. :cool:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Be interesting to see how Joe "Nephew of Mike" Gatting gets on down at Sussex.

His old man Steve used to play for The Arsenal too. :cool:
He got a hundred on his debut in Abu Dhabi and 150 on his FC debut today. The opposition - Abu Dhabi Bakeries South-Western Division (or someone like that) and Cambridge UCCE respectively - weren't up to much though!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He got a hundred on his debut in Abu Dhabi and 150 on his FC debut today. The opposition - Abu Dhabi Bakeries South-Western Division (or someone like that) and Cambridge UCCE respectively - weren't up to much though!
Unduly harsh on the staunch bakers of south-west Abu Dhabi to confuse them with Surrey, one feels. :p

Woodster

International Captain
Jaik Mickleburgh at Essex I fancy to have make an impression this season. I like what I've seen of Ben Brown, saw him keep for England Under 19's and he was mightily impressive.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Indeed and the only thing interesting about Meaker aside from bowling quick in the nets (once) is that his South African.
Umm, no. He's quick. In games he's quick.

Jaik Mickleburgh at Essex I fancy to have make an impression this season. I like what I've seen of Ben Brown, saw him keep for England Under 19's and he was mightily impressive.
His catch off the inside edge was almost unbelievable.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Umm, no. He's quick. In games he's quick.
Apparently he is able to send them down at 95mph but whenever I’ve seen him for Surrey/England U19’s, 85mph is about as good as it gets. Which is of course is a lively pace especially for a kid but not as threatening as it has been reported.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
First dibs on Chris Woakes before the bandwagon takes him. Quality nut to pin Langer today with the second new ball: 22-4-80-3 is a top return on the M5 at Taunton, too.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thought I would bring this thread up as the season is now coming to and end, reading back through it is interesting to see that there was no mention of James Taylor who must be counted as the most significant player to come breakthrough in a big way this season.

Pothas

Will be looking at a number of players for Hampshire this year, Dawson is an obvious one but I think we could see some good stuff from Hamza Riazuddin, especially in the one day game. He seems to be very economical and can bat as well.

Then there is the players who might finally do something worth while, chief amoung these are Lumb and Ervine, both look really good when they are playing well but are more infuriating than Ian Bell. Am waiting for one of them to actually have a good season but it's probably not going to happen.
Difficult season for Dawson, especially with the ball and he seems to be becomimg more and more a batsman who bowls a bit, Riazuddin had a decent Twenty20 campaign and him captaining the England under 19's was encouraging. This season also saw the emergence of Vince who I am very hopefull for despite struggiling in the championship a bit of late.

As for Ervine and Lumb both put in better performances, 3 centuries represents Ervine's best season yet and Lumb has been excellent again in limited overs but once again frustrating in the championship, his stats being saved by the one massive score.

Scaly piscine

Surrey have a good young bowling attack, that could shine this season. Jordan, Dernbach and Stuart Meaker are all pacey and wicket takers. Meaker's been timed at 95mph at the England National Academy and had a decent start to his FC career, outbowling Shoaib in a CC game. If Meaker does bowl at over 90 clicks you know he won't be given time to settle into FC cricket and work his game out, he'll be straight on that plane to South Africa.
Oh dear.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1. Matt Machan
Still never heard of him.
2. Ben Brown
Was he ever likely to play much? Is Hodd more accident-prone normally than he was this year?
3. Rory Hamilton-Brown
Done the few little bits he's been given OK-ish.
Stuart Meaker
Sod-all of note from him.
Daniel Redfern
Very poor year for him.
I wonder if Stuart Broad will ever make his county breakthrough too TBH.
Still waiting, but at least he made a Test breakthrough at The Oval instead.
Id like to see Finn progress.
Still the same old wayward Finn.
I have my fingers crossed that Mark Lawson can produce at Derby out of the shadow of Rashid.
Nope, and surely Lawson must give-up the ghost before long, never rated him one iyota.
Im interested to see if Jonathan Bairstow will get any FC opportunities.
Yup, and not merely take them but be Yorkshire's best batsman. With the other wicketkeeper Brophy second...
If Sam Northeast get's some chances he struck me as a good young player.
Yup, has had a few - but I never thought he was an opener. :huh: If that's a change rather than him being shoved into the only hole available with Denly regularly elsewhere it's a recent one; if he's always been an opener I'm inobservant.
Will be looking at a number of players for Hampshire this year, Dawson is an obvious one but I think we could see some good stuff from Hamza Riazuddin, especially in the one day game. He seems to be very economical and can bat as well.
Hasn't really played much has he? David Griffiths and David Balcombe both on the field instead, for some very strange reason. Think some kid called Tom Parsons played ahead of him once too, though maybe wrong - they may have both featured in said game.
One i'd like to see finally make the breakthrough is a name thats been around for many a year now. Kyle Hogg.
Yup, seems he might finally have hit some sort of first-team place. Never going to tear-up trees, not in the longer game, but has had a good solid year.
Sam robson
Obviously that post was only made because Robson is Australian, but he's done pretty well.
Outside of Lancs, apart from those already mentions, the players i'm looking out for are Joshua Cobb(Leicestershire) and Jaik Mickelborough(essex). Will also be interesting to see how Jonathan Clare backs up from last season.
Cobb and Mickleburgh both had hugely disappointing years after being given a decent chance to back-up their hugely promising bit-part first seasons. Clare been diabolical, as I was expecting TBH.
Anyone heard of a bloke called Paul Muchall (Gordon's younger brother)?
Nope, and still haven't TBH.
I'm hoping Northeast gets a few chances, would like to see Godleman have a big year as well. Liam Dawson was another who impressed me last year.
Dawson's done not-much; Godleman's done so badly he's been released; Northeast as above has had a few chances but as an opener.
First dibs on Chris Woakes before the bandwagon takes him. Quality nut to pin Langer today with the second new ball: 22-4-80-3 is a top return on the M5 at Taunton, too.
Woakes had a mostly shocking 2nd year, though a couple of decent performances picked things up at the end.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Haha, "Matt Machan" probably the worst call of the entire thread. I think Hamilton-Brown's had a bit of a breakthrough year - hasn't been stunningly consistent but has showed he has the potential to maybe make the step up in a few years' time. Next year will be a key season from him.

Godleman's demise is a bit puzzling. He really did look the part in the (admittedly short) footage I've seen of him. I hope he can find another county. Any of the Division 2 dregs would do well to pick him up IMO.

Northeast hasn't had many chances but has produced some solid scores when he has. More importantly for us he showed his class by looking a cut above anything else England or Bangladesh could improve at his age group.

No mention of James Taylor here either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Taylor's pretty much done this season what Cobb was hoped to do.

Both still have oodles of time ahead though. As does Godleman. It's a bit of a shame he's been forced-out of his own county by all the South Africans and Australians.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
@ Rich: Woakes started the season not too badly did he not?

edit: to any hardcore followers of County Cricket, where does Taylor bat for Leicestershire in OD cricket?

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, "Matt Machan" probably the worst call of the entire thread.
Cheers for that, JJ :(

But you're right, the only explanation I can offer is that Machan failed to capitalise on the massive confidence boost that me tipping him must surely have given him. He's still highly regarded at Sussex btw, so watch this space :unsure:

Sussex's breakthrough player turned out to be Chris Nash, with a County Championship season of 1,228 runs @ 58.47