• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I actually think Parker would match up ok against Zhang (yet would always struggle with Joyce). Zhang is certainly much more well schooled than Wilder but there’s a vague stylistic similarity in that they’re both huge punchers but low output with dodgy stamina. Zhang has particularly bad stamina. Parker has a chance of winning a dull decision against that sort of opponent.
Zhang is a bit like Ruiz. Front foot counter puncher. Just way more size and power, but possibly even less stamina.

Whatever you think of the current heavyweight it's a pretty fun group of fighters.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I have just watched the Parker-Wilder fight.

I'm sorry but any fighter with a decent upper cut or even just a second phase of attack should have been able to stop what Parker was doing there.
I don't know whether to blame Wilder's corner or Wilder himself, but the idea that he couldn't recognise and adjust to a relatively simple gameplan over 12 rounds is mind-boggling for a professional boxer.

AJ would have recognised that.
Zhang would have recongised that and detonated on him.
Ruiz for sure would have countered that.
Hrgovic, Dubois et al all would have been able to adjust.

I know he'd come in with a different gameplan against those guys but gee...that was bad from Wilder.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not a big follower of boxing nowadays but Wilder has always seemed a massive fraud to me, yeah he hits big, that's unusual for heavyweight boxers isn't it? He just seems someone who without curated fights would be about 8 in the World in most eras

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not a big follower of boxing nowadays but Wilder has always seemed a massive fraud to me, yeah he hits big, that's unusual for heavyweight boxers isn't it? He just seems someone who without curated fights would be about 8 in the World in most eras
Wilder's power is definitely unusual. Even post Fury trilogy he still had the power to knock Helenius out cold with one glancing right hand. One punch man would've been a better ring name than 'Doctor Sleep'. You're not wrong about Wilder's career being carefully curated though, Parker is definitely the second best opponent he's fought.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I have just watched the Parker-Wilder fight.

I'm sorry but any fighter with a decent upper cut or even just a second phase of attack should have been able to stop what Parker was doing there.
I don't know whether to blame Wilder's corner or Wilder himself, but the idea that he couldn't recognise and adjust to a relatively simple gameplan over 12 rounds is mind-boggling for a professional boxer.

AJ would have recognised that.
Zhang would have recongised that and detonated on him.
Ruiz for sure would have countered that.
Hrgovic, Dubois et al all would have been able to adjust.

I know he'd come in with a different gameplan against those guys but gee...that was bad from Wilder.
Wilder's corner definitely deserves a huge chunk of the blame. There was zero urgency from Malik Scott even in the 12th round when he should've been screaming at Wilder to change it up from round 5 onwards. Just seems like after Wilder's ridiculous sacking of Mark Breland that he decided he wanted a bunch of yes men in his corner.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't want to take away credit from Parker or make excuses for Wilder but he looked unable to pull the trigger.

Part of that was Parker's gameplan for sure. But there were times when Parker screwed up his own footwork and was essentially standing right in front of Wilder and the right hand never came or when it did it was super inaccurate.

Yes Parker used good head movement. Yes he moved quickly into range. Yes Wilder has always been limited.

But I don't think it was just that. It looked like significant ring rust and frankly a shot fighter in there.

Niall

International Coach
But I don't think it was just that. It looked like significant ring rust and frankly a shot fighter in there.
Wilder cried about lack of activity , if only their was something he could have done about that? :laugh:

Ultimately credit to Parker and Joshua, both fighters hugely doubted but unlike so many were very active this year and it really paid off.

Inoue keeps winning, Tapales a proper warrior but levels etc.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Bivol v Beterbiev agreed for Saudi Arabia.

Mixed emotions really, even ignoring the sport washing a major issue with Saudi Arabia is how quiet the crowds can be which takes away from the spectacle, but obviously American promoters did not see money in the fight so it is what it is.

Then the other issue,,,,,,,I am slightly worried that Smith might take out Beterbiev who is now near 40. Its a small sample obviously but Smith looks violent in this weight category.

Nonetheless no matter the winner of Smith/Beterbiev. Bivol schools both. Elite.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Bivol v Beterbiev agreed for Saudi Arabia.

Mixed emotions really, even ignoring the sport washing a major issue with Saudi Arabia is how quiet the crowds can be which takes away from the spectacle, but obviously American promoters did not see money in the fight so it is what it is.

Then the other issue,,,,,,,I am slightly worried that Smith might take out Beterbiev who is now near 40. Its a small sample obviously but Smith looks violent in this weight category.

Beterbiev will murder Smith even if he was 50.

Niall

International Coach
Ngannou v Joshua in March it seems.

I was hoping for Zhang or Hrgovic but this fight seems the highest reward lowest risk fight for AJ so yeah it is what it is.

Fury if he loses v Usyk and Joshua smashes Francis..... :laugh:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
"Hmmm, you're suffering from Brainitis, a condition where the brain tries to jump out of the body! The only cure is to get hit in the head repeatedly until the brain calms down."

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Jesus.

Not sure if that's necessarily the second doctor's fault.

The way that I read this is that they had MRI scans showing an aneurysm (which should preclude anyone from ever getting in the ring again), and they sought out a second doctor but didn't tell him about the MRI. So the second doctor would have just done a physical exam which wouldn't necessarily show any signs of an aneurysm.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jesus effing Christ.

Heads should roll for this. It's bad enough to let anyone box without them being tested for an aneurysm, but to game the system like this is just so wrong.

If the ref knew beforehand though he should never have agreed to officiate. I'm sure he'd have been turning down a decent pay packet, but he could very well have been party to a genuine tragedy.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
No.

Beterbiev to this day has the best win at LHW, when he beat and retired Gvosdyk.

Yes he's old and inactive but Beterbiev has elite boxing skills and is up there with Inoue, Zhang et all as one of the hardest punchers in boxing.

The fight with Bivol is 50/50.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Rumours of Parker vs Hrgovic on the AJ-Ngannou undercard.

A great fight for the heavyweight division, but feel that it's a bad match up for Parker as he will struggle to get past the jab just like the Joyce fight.
Would be better to get in with Zhang IMO.

But it doesn't matter at this point because he's just taking as big fights as he can get and getting that Saudi money.