• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thoughts on the long count in that fight from anyone? Have to admit watching it live I didn't really think much of it but they've lodged a complaint about it. Looking at replays I can understand why.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Re-watching Beterbiev-Yarde.

Another classic case of UK commentary trying to deceive people from what their eyes are telling them.

Beterbiev was in control right from the beginning of the fight. Sure, Yarde landed a few nice counters and was brave and tough and I applaud him for taking the fight, but it wasn't all that competitive.

As for the judges scorecards, what a disgrace. Even without his power Beterbiev was out-boxing Yarde with just his jab.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
re: Beterbiev vs Bivol.

watch the Canelo fight. Yes, Bivol won that fight easily but do we think he'd be happy to tuck up on the ropes against Beterbiev like he did multiple times in that Canelo fight?

Now consider the fact that Beterbiev has faster feet, much longer reach, a better jab, and way more power than Canelo.

If Beterbiev fights Bivol this year I'm taking Beterbiev.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Thoughts on the long count in that fight from anyone? Have to admit watching it live I didn't really think much of it but they've lodged a complaint about it. Looking at replays I can understand why.
Haven't seen it, but spitting one's mouth guard is an old pro's trick to give an extra few seconds to come up to scratch.

Can't believe any protest will come to anything.

Meanwhile I was impressed by the, ah, form of Aussie light featherweight Avril Mathie before her bout for the IBF intercontinental bauble:
2_Screenshot-2023-02-04-at-074824.jpg
Hearn making a very concerted effort to not have a sly perve.

She lost, ftr, but is a winner in a more meaningful sense.

Is she a real thing in Oz?

Burgey

Can’t say I’ve really heard much of her. Ebanie Bridges probably has a mortgage on Aus women’s boxing profiles tbh

Niall

International Coach
Fury v Usyk was meant to happen mid march and now supposedly last weekend of April. Interesting!

Joshua is fighting Franklin next which should be a gimme. I will give him a slight pass if its just a tune up for a proper fight but stories of him fighting Whyte or ****ing Ngannou? **** the **** off with that.

I like this fight, won't be one for the purists but Zhang was robbed v Hrgovic and Joyce is a beast. I'd love to see Joyce get a really big fight if he wins.

Niall

International Coach
Can’t say I’ve really heard much of her. Ebanie Bridges probably has a mortgage on Aus women’s boxing profiles tbh
I watched Skye last night ( not the Indian lad who slogs medium pacers in the t20 stuff) on the Dazn card and not impressed at all.

She is youngish but that was an absolute gimme of a fight and she looked really raw.

Looks like its Katie v Serrano in Dublin in May , its going to be at a small concert venue because Hearn won't pay the GAA the money required to have it at croke park and the aviva aka the rugby stadium is booked. Not the homecoming Katie wanted as the venue will only hold 10k while Croke Park would have held 80k. :(

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lara ko Wood

Pretty good scrap for free here

Not really surprised at result as Lara can bang & Wood doesn’t have best defence

Burgey

Yeah looked a pretty good fight. A bit surprised at the towel throw with 5 seconds left in the round but hard to be too critical of a trainer actually looking out for his fighter I suppose. Heck of a shot

Niall

International Coach
Lara is a violent man, only so much the team could have done at the end of the round.

To be honest loving these sensible stoppages recently, Yarde's corner threw the towel in at the right time when Beterbiev was about to murder him.

social

Given that it was his corner who threw in the towel, there shouldn’t be too many complaints as they should know their fighter better than anyone

social

Fury another step closer to ducking Usyk

Throw in Crawford - Spence, Davis - Garcia, the Charlos, Canelo’s joke fight, etc

Then you have the farce of the IBF ordering Ruiz - Hrgovic when it will never happen but gives Wilder an out

Niall

International Coach
We got a real fight this weekend, Jake Paul v Tommy Fury lets go! ?

Josh Taylor v Teo Lopez supposedly lined up, both don't seem to be in the best space but nonetheless should be a really good fight.
Taylor is really good, but he really needs to be more active but has been stated here the lad doesn't truly live the life needed sadly.

Zhang 5/1 ,,aka 6.0 v in betting v Big Joe Joyce, worth a few pennies ? Joe is so tough these days but Zhang is underrated IMO.

Niall

International Coach
Fury wants the Ngannu fight, he is deluded enough to think it will do Mayweather v McGregor business , it really ****ing won't , I like Ngannu but he is not even a draw in the UFC ffs.

Niall

International Coach
Good news for Fury this fight has set him up for life money wise and if he can get a rematch and KSI down the road,,,he probably should retire then because this guy is not beating any genuine fighters.

Fun enough if obviously low standard main event as expected.