• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Niall

International Coach
Dubois gets it done after been put down three times in round `1. Lerena is no mug but he's not exactly elite.

Jury still somewhat out on Daniel.

Their was a good fight on channel 5 last night LT, Williamson v Kelly, obviously neither are world class but channel 5 have been pretty good for domestic boxing scraps over last few years.

Hopefully Fury ends this quickly and he fights Usyk in April.

Niall

International Coach
this is absolutely rotten, Chissy is game but its a total mismatch as expected.

Hurry up and end this please.

Niall

International Coach
Sounded predictably one-sided. Should never have been sanctioned.
Yeah I know bills got to be paid etc, but Chisora has had plenty of money fights now so hopefully he steps away.

Can never be sure with Tyson but he does seem intent on fighting Usyk and to a lesser extent Joyce in 2022.

Hopefully he is serious, although I don't think he beats Usyk atm.

No idea about how he does with Joyce.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Can never be sure with Tyson but he does seem intent on fighting Usyk
I'll believe it when I see it.

Tyson talked about fighting Joshua but who did he fight? Chisora.

Next things I'm expecting from the Tyson playbook:
- "Usyk has Joyce problems"
- "He needs to take care of his mandatories"
- "The real fight the fans want is Mahmoud Charr's granddad!"
- "The fight is not big enough to sell, no one knows who Usyk is!"
- etc etc

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll believe it when I see it.

Tyson talked about fighting Joshua but who did he fight? Chisora.

Next things I'm expecting from the Tyson playbook:
- "Usyk has Joyce problems"
- "He needs to take care of his mandatories"
- "The real fight the fans want is Mahmoud Charr's granddad!"
- "The fight is not big enough to sell, no one knows who Usyk is!"
- etc etc
And so it begins:laugh:

thierry henry

International Coach
What bums me out about the Usyk fight is even if it's next, he'll be 36 by the time of the fight. That is typically well past prime for a fighter of his style i.e. the smaller, faster, more skilled man. He's roughly the same age as most of his competition but the received wisdom is that you'd expect a fighter of his style and attributes to be most affected by age. I'm sure he'll still give a good account of himself but if he loses I reckon there will always be that question mark over it.

tbh I think he showed signs of age in both Joshua fights. He won both fights impressively but imo they weren't the one-sided fights some punters would have you believe and it wasn't like Joshua was incapable of landing on him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
What bums me out about the Usyk fight is even if it's next, he'll be 36 by the time of the fight. That is typically well past prime for a fighter of his style i.e. the smaller, faster, more skilled man. He's roughly the same age as most of his competition but the received wisdom is that you'd expect a fighter of his style and attributes to be most affected by age. I'm sure he'll still give a good account of himself but if he loses I reckon there will always be that question mark over it.

tbh I think he showed signs of age in both Joshua fights. He won both fights impressively but imo they weren't the one-sided fights some punters would have you believe and it wasn't like Joshua was incapable of landing on him.
Agree 100% with this.

I thought in the second fight in particular there were sections where he looked gased and where previously he would have been able to shift into the next gear but he didn't quite have that same engine anymore, and there were times when he was just throwing arm punches.

Part of that might have been Usyk not having a proper training camp for the second fight though.

Niall

International Coach
To be fair Fury is no longer 21 either. He has mileage on the clock and has to deal with his demons away from the ring.

Joshua was better in the second fight but for me that was UD Usyk ala the first one and on reflection that's just as impressive as anything Fury has done recently.

I think Usyk also should get a pass when it comes to conditioning in the second fight due to the extraordinary circumstances regarding his home country, its safe to say that boxing for a lot of 2022 would not have been the priority it may have been previously.

Hopefully it happens but Fury's chatter about injuries is worrying.

From a business POV and more importantly which is the more winnable, Joyce might the fight they go with next for Tyson.

That would suck compared to Fury/Usyk but welcome to boxing!

thierry henry

International Coach
To be fair Fury is no longer 21 either. He has mileage on the clock and has to deal with his demons away from the ring.
Oh 100%. Fury is an ANCIENT 34. I just think in terms of the clash of styles, if everyone slows down it hurts Usyk the most. But yeah, I guess it could be a case of an old Usyk hoping he has retained his advantages over an even more diminished, sluggish Fury.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I seriously doubt that Joyce will be an easy fight for Fury as he’s strong and relentless

Fury will rack up the rounds while Joyce just keeps coming

No point in fighting him as Fury can fob him off as not worthy atm

Guaranteed that he calls on him to fight the winner of Wilder-Ruiz

Usyk will beat Fury IMO

He’s more skilled and won’t be affected by the bs

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So now immediately after the fight Fury is saying that he has an elbow injury that requires surgery.

Which means either:
a) he diagnosed himself with an elbow injury requiring surgery while he was taking off his gloves. never knew he went to med school, WAG.
or
b) He was carrying the injury into the Chisora fight, he knew he always needed the surgery and yet he took the fight rather than waiting the requisite 6 weeks and making the fight with Usyk
or
c) He's making the entire thing up.

Any of these answers means he's ducking Usyk.

He will never fight him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So David Light has an upset win over Brandon Glanton to get mandatory position for Lawrence Okolie.

Interesting.

thierry henry

International Coach
So David Light has an upset win over Brandon Glanton to get mandatory position for Lawrence Okolie.

Interesting.
Yeah on one hand it's exciting to see a local guy elevated quickly to the big time, on the other hand it stinks of classic boxing BS (I'm yet to see anyone who thought Light actually beat Glanton and he obviously doesn't have the wins behind him to really warrant the fight) and Light is basically another hand-picked opponent for an Okolie thrashing.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah on one hand it's exciting to see a local guy elevated quickly to the big time, on the other hand it stinks of classic boxing BS (I'm yet to see anyone who thought Light actually beat Glanton and he obviously doesn't have the wins behind him to really warrant the fight) and Light is basically another hand-picked opponent for an Okolie thrashing.
I watched the fight, didn't think it was a robbery. Frankly neither Glanton nor Light are world standard, but I think Light is the better of the two and I had him winning the fight.

Glanton for a supposedly aggressive guy has very little power, and is basically just a volume puncher.

You're right that eitehr of them are served up on a plate for Okolie.

Niall

International Coach
Looking at the upcoming weekend boxing, Conlan has a stay busy fight , Crawford is murdering a man on tv so obviously neither should excite anyone, but we have Lopez v Sandor Martin which could be an absolute banger....the Spanish chap got a chance?

Niall

International Coach
Looking at the upcoming weekend boxing, Conlan has a stay busy fight , Crawford is murdering a man on tv so obviously neither should excite anyone, but we have Lopez v Sandor Martin which could be an absolute banger....the Spanish chap got a chance?

More than a chance! He probably won but judges had a nightmare. Teo doesn't look great atm whatsoever.