• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
No, Usyk doesn't want to fight for anything but undisputed. He has specifically stated that it's undisputed or nothing.

No mandatory will be called unless Fury/Warren try to pull shenanigans.

If the fight doesn't happen within the next 6 months it is 100% Fury ducking.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I know that it’s a massive amount of money to pass up ($35 million & ppv) and that there’s no guarantees in boxing but I do think that it was a mistake for Joshua to take that fight if the objective was to win
As I said at the time, Joshua deserves huge praise for taking the first Usyk fight.

At that time, people actually believed Usyk was too small and people were underwhelmed by his performance against Chisora. Only boxing heads rated Usyk.

It's thanks to Joshua that we can dispense with the too small claim.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As I said at the time, Joshua deserves huge praise for taking the first Usyk fight.

At that time, people actually believed Usyk was too small and people were underwhelmed by his performance against Chisora. Only boxing heads rated Usyk.

It's thanks to Joshua that we can dispense with the too small claim.
People ignore the fact that Usyk is not a small heavyweight in a traditional sense

He’s 6’3”, 220 lbs and perfectly built for a boxer

He’s just not a super heavyweight like the Furys of this world

thierry henry

International Coach
People ignore the fact that Usyk is not a small heavyweight in a traditional sense

He’s 6’3”, 220 lbs and perfectly built for a boxer

He’s just not a super heavyweight like the Furys of this world
True but the reality is we are not in the "traditional" world anymore. Rugby props were once 100kg, now that's too small. Rugby locks used to be 6'4", now any decent one is over 6'6". In-shape 6'5"+ or 110kg+ athletes are obviously a small minority in the general population but widespread at the elite level of sport, because in many sports being bigger helps. There's no reason to think these same big guys wouldn't proliferate at the elite level of heavyweight boxing and there's no doubt that physical size is an advantage (hence why weight divisions exist).

It's cool that a "smaller but still big" guy like Usyk can do so well but I also think it's worth factoring in his size as an impressive factor in his achievements.

social

True but the reality is we are not in the "traditional" world anymore. Rugby props were once 100kg, now that's too small. Rugby locks used to be 6'4", now any decent one is over 6'6". In-shape 6'5"+ or 110kg+ athletes are obviously a small minority in the general population but widespread at the elite level of sport, because in many sports being bigger helps. There's no reason to think these same big guys wouldn't proliferate at the elite level of heavyweight boxing and there's no doubt that physical size is an advantage (hence why weight divisions exist).

It's cool that a "smaller but still big" guy like Usyk can do so well but I also think it's worth factoring in his size as an impressive factor in his achievements.
No doubt but …

Joshua is an enormous, incredibly fit human being who also happens to be an highly skilled boxer

His fights with Usyk weren’t particularly close

Joshua knocked out Whyte and couldn’t put a dent in Usyk

Fury owes his punching reputation to knocking out Whyte (see above) & Wilder and was knocked down by Cunningham

Wilder has no real boxing skills, lost virtually every round to Szpilka (just fkn lol) and has been down many times

Fury might fight Usyk at 100% (doubt it as I suspect that he’s back on the gear) and win (definite maybe but only down to size difference & some seriously generous refereeing)

I don’t mind Tyson but hope that Usyk smokes him

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fury is a bit of a slapper for his size, but given said size is on the "****ing" side of enormous I'm sure his shots still carry a fair bit of weight.

He's no Wilder, or even a Joshua, but far more of a technician than either.

Love to see him v Usyk, but doubt it'll happen. He has far easier paydays available.

social

Fury is a bit of a slapper for his size, but given said size is on the "****ing" side of enormous I'm sure his shots still carry a fair bit of weight.

He's no Wilder, or even a Joshua, but far more of a technician than either.

Love to see him v Usyk, but doubt it'll happen. He has far easier paydays available.
My completely unfounded view

Fury might fight again and probably against Usyk

Might not

Usyk won’t be psyched out as he’s more crazy than Fury and more highly skilled

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not mad at the AJ-Fury fight but I think it is another barrier to undisputed.
I am still not sure that Fury will ever fight Usyk, and this puts another wedge between the fight happening.
It is a very calculated move from Fury, and I understand the business sense to it.

- brings the big payday
- may have a rematch clause delaying undisputed further
- may have injuries after the fight...
- Usyk will have to fight mandatories in the meantime.

I know it's Usyk who said he can't fight in December, but really undisputed should be happening early next year and if AJ-Fury happens I cannot see Fury fighting Usyk in April.

Niall

International Coach
The whole Joshua Fury thing is weird, I don't know why its all so rushed and why AJ must fight before the 3rd December and not wait a little longer?
I just don't think Fury is serious about this at all is ultimately looking for attention.

Don't mind it happening ....but before Xmas? Doubtful.

Hope the ladies boxing does not get cancelled due to Lizzie dying, really looking forward to Shields v Marshall despite the press conferences been so corny. :laugh:

My lazy take was Shields wins keeps her distance and wins by points.

Niall

International Coach

LOL.

GGG V Canelo next week, can't make a case for GGG this time round sadly, Alvarez late stoppage sadly.

I think the girls missed a huge opportunity in the UK cancelling that card with soccer off, would have been a lot more eyes than usual on it but the promoters bottled it fearing negative PR. Cowards.

Hopefully it happens when the weekend in October when it is scheduled for, that card, Wilder and Haney all that weekend :inlove:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So if Joshua fights Fury, and there's a rematch clause for Fury...

...I will be putting my money on a draw or a contentious AJ win.

There's wayyyyyy too much money in the rematch, and Fury wants no part of Usyk, they're going to try to freeze him out.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fury ****ting me totally by fighting AJ instead of Usyk. Just make the fight everyone wants to see ffs.