• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best international players against spin under 30 these days

Flem274*

123/5
i can't get over how of the younger big guns, the best three against spin are a pom, a kiwi and an aussie and the best against pace and bounce is an indian.

what the ****

at least against just swing it's the pom or the kiwi, which is more normal.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
this Indian fan anti-Kohli sentiment growing on CW will not be forgotten by me. A plague on all your penises.

Also Pujara is fair ugly. If he's coming in the team we need to bring back Jadeja to counter his ugliness with some delicious moustacheness.
Please, Pujara is basically Ranveer Singh which..... kinda reiterates your point tbf

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Thought Karunartne played Yasir Shah excellently in that 3rd test against Pakistan,but haven't really seen much else from his apart from that.Latham was awesome against the spin in UAE last year.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ironically, Suresh Raina should be right up there with the best. But he (rightly) doesn't play test cricket.

Niall

International Coach
isn't azhar ali also pretty good against spin?
If you ignore the over 30's. its Sarfraz and Shafiq a good bit clear of the rest against spin. Azhar isn't as bad as some say, but he can get bogged down against spinners and will give a chance or two. Can't think of many under Pakistani players apart from Shafiq and Sarfraz that inspire me to much against spinners these days.

Stace

First Class Debutant
I know Moeen Ali has got out a couple of silly times against spin, also had a bad 20 minutes against Lyon in the last Test, but I have high hopes for him in the UAE. I'm not saying he's the best player of spin but when he plays it well he looks very good.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Thought Karunartne played Yasir Shah excellently in that 3rd test against Pakistan,but haven't really seen much else from his apart from that.Latham was awesome against the spin in UAE last year.
There's something about Sri Lankan lefthanders. They play leg spin unbelievably well, unless named Sangakkara. Gurusinha, Ranathunga, Tillekaratne, Arnold and Jayasuriya all played great legspinners of their time pretty well (Qadir, Kumble and Warne, and possibly Hirwani few times). But they tend to suck against off break bowlers, some times pretty mediocre ones. Ranatunga and Tillekaratne were pretty good against any type of spin though.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Mominul hands down

Edit: Afterthought. He has to prove a lot and a long way to go. But he's just beastly against spin with dead bat, sweep and playing the line correctly etc

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
isn't azhar ali also pretty good against spin?
He's not poor by any means but he has had issues with Herath and as Niall mentioned can get bogged down but that can happen to him against any type of bowling. Asad and Sarfraz are much more assured and have more shots vs spin. Infact Asad is our most complete batsman in a long long time if he can stop being casual and lazy early in his innings he is very capable of averaging close to 50 in test cricket.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith is technically very good and actually pleasing to watch against Spin. I won't carry on about his technique against pace because you have that already in your signature but I would be tempted to say that Smith is better than Williamson against spin. Primarily because he is more aggressive and prepared to use his feet more.
Yeah, Smith's generally in a good position when he makes contact with the ball in spite of how awful his stance/set-up looks. That said, I just can't get over the stance in terms of finding him pleasing to the eye.

In terms of him possibly being a better player of spin than KW, he needs to ton-up in the SC a few times before I'm close to being convinced of that.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, Smith's generally in a good position when he makes contact with the ball in spite of how awful his stance/set-up looks. That said, I just can't get over the stance in terms of finding him pleasing to the eye.

In terms of him possibly being a better player of spin than KW, he needs to ton-up in the SC a few times before I'm close to being convinced of that.
Smith played very well in UAE and India. Harsh to say he needs to ton up when he's got two 90s. The 90-odd he got at Mohali was the first time I really thought he could turn out to be very good.

Zinzan

Smith played very well in UAE and India. Harsh to say he needs to ton up when he's got two 90s. The 90-odd he got at Mohali was the first time I really thought he could turn out to be very good.
Exactly what Howsie just said. KW's played 12 tests in Asia, averages 48 and has 4 hundreds & 4 fifties. So yeah, compared to KW, it's actually not harsh at all.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah but the question was whether we were convinced of Smith's ability to play spin, not whether his record in Asia is better than KW's

OverratedSanity

Yeah and very different context to their innings as well. KW wouldn't have made 190-odd in UAE if instead of McCullum going bonkers at the other end, he had Usman Khawaja and co. collapsing in a heap.