• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best all time XI for each country

Howe_zat

Audio File
Great side, but wouldn't Headley be more likely to make the transition as an opener than Richards? Then you could have Lara at 3 & Viv @ 4.

The option of Walcott wicket-keeping makes it a ridiculously strong batting line-up, but wasn't he just a part-time keeper? Would be damn tough keeping to that bowling line-up.
Agree with Headley opening. Walcott came into the side as a keeper-batsman and gave up keeping a few years into his Test career, which massively helped his batting. Unfortunately in a line-up like that it's only as a keeper that there's room for him in the side.

tridibans

Cricket Spectator
Might do a couple

SA
1.Graeme Smith
2.Barry Richards
3.Graeme Pollock
4.Jacques Kallis
5.Dudley Nourse
6.Aubrey Faulkner
7.John Waite
8.Mike Proctor
9.Shaun Pollock
10.Alan Donald
11.Neil Adcock

For me, the hardest part of picking this XI is the keeper. Any of Boucher, Waite, Lindsay or Cameron would be fine.
I would definitely go with Boucher over Waite just because of his keeping! Otherwise its a strong saffers XI...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In the Windies side, I would rather have Headley open than Sir Viv. Wes Hall worth a mention. Lance Gibbs & Sonny Ramandhin are potential spin options too.
Because I consider Headley to be the second best batsman in the side (after Sobers), I want to let him play in his favorite position.

Yes Wes Hall is worth a mention certainly, but who among Marshall, Ambrose, Garner, Holding and Roberts isn't?

Considering a spinner in an all-time WI XI seems like a joke to me. However, Sobers provides the part-time option.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, Adcock & Steyn are fairly even, would probably lean towards the latter myself, also a decent argument for S Pollock ahead of Clive Rice & Faulkner to move up the order.

More than decent side none-the-less.
Well, to me Adcock and Donald are fairly even, so that solves the problem.

I won't do away with Rice since I consider him the best post-war Saffie alrounder.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
i think that hayden should be in for his dominance at the top of the order, probably for morris. There's enough batting in this side that it should have a genuine keeper too, so gilly out and healey or marsh in, could have gilchrist in at the top of the order too just as a batsmen.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan

Shoaib Mohammad
Hanif Mohammad
Inzamam-ul Haq
Javed Miandad
Zaheer Abbas
Saleem Malik
Imran Khan*
Wasim Akram
Rashid Latif+
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar

Reserves: Saeed Anwar, Mushtaq Mohammad, Wasim Bari, Abdul Qadir, Fazal Mahmood.

smash84

The Tiger King
Pakistan

Shoaib Mohammad
Hanif Mohammad
Inzamam-ul Haq
Javed Miandad
Zaheer Abbas
Saleem Malik
Imran Khan*
Wasim Akram
Rashid Latif+
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar

Reserves: Saeed Anwar, Mushtaq Mohammad, Wasim Bari, Abdul Qadir, Fazal Mahmood.
I would probably have anwar in place of shoaib mohd and have fazal and qadir in and shoaib akhtar and saleem malik out.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
New Zealand

Glenn Turner
Stewie Dempster
Bert Sutcliffe
Martin Crowe (c)
Martin Donnelly
John R. Reid
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Adam Parore (wk)
Shane Bond
Jack Cowie

A lot of those guys are in there on County records and FC games against top test sides as much as "test" records. We just didn't play enough tests early on. If I were to make the qualification 20 tests or so, I'd go with:

Glenn Turner
John Wright
Bert Sutcliffe
Martin Crowe (c)
John F. Reid
John R. Reid
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Bruce Taylor
Adam Parore (wk)
Richard Collinge

There are many blokes who could go in place of Collinge though. Cameron, Nash et al came very close to making it.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Pakistan

Shoaib Mohammad
Hanif Mohammad
Inzamam-ul Haq
Javed Miandad
Zaheer Abbas
Saleem Malik
Imran Khan*
Wasim Akram
Rashid Latif+
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar

Prefer the below composition and lineup myself. :)

Saeed Anwar
Hanif Mohammad
Inzamam-ul Haq
Javed Miandad
Zaheer Abbas
Imran Khan*
Rashid Latif+
Wasim Akram
Abdul Qadir
Fazal Mahmood
Waqar Younis

Awesome bowling, good opening, but a little weak on the middle order for an AT side with Imran batting at 6.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain

Saeed Anwar
Hanif Mohammad
Inzamam-ul Haq
Javed Miandad
Zaheer Abbas
Imran Khan*
Rashid Latif+
Wasim Akram
Abdul Qadir
Fazal Mahmood
Waqar Younis

Awesome bowling, good opening, but a little weak on the middle order for an AT side with Imran batting at 6.
Yea...Rashid's batting a concern in this one...but over all a nice team...i might be tempted to put Akhtar for Fazal at peaks....

Mike5181

International Captain
New Zealand

Glenn Turner
Stewie Dempster
Bert Sutcliffe
Martin Crowe (c)
Martin Donnelly
John R. Reid
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Adam Parore (wk)
Shane Bond
Jack Cowie

A lot of those guys are in there on County records and FC games against top test sides as much as "test" records. We just didn't play enough tests early on. If I were to make the qualification 20 tests or so, I'd go with:

Glenn Turner
John Wright
Bert Sutcliffe
Martin Crowe (c)
John F. Reid
John R. Reid
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Bruce Taylor
Adam Parore (wk)
Richard Collinge

There are many blokes who could go in place of Collinge though. Cameron, Nash et al came very close to making it.
1.Glen Turner
2.John Wright
3.Bert Sutcliffe
4.Martin Crowe
5.Stephen Fleming (c)
6.John R Reid
7.Chris Cairns
8.Ian Smith (wk)
9.Daniel Vettori
10.Richard Hadlee
11.Shane Bond

Decent team but would probably get destroyed by the other country elevens. Would be something special to see Bond and Hadlee though.

Mike5181

International Captain
I was close to kicking Vettori but i think most people by the end of his career will have him in there, i mean he is like are only decent spinner even if he doesnt turn it.

Fleming is just there because he was a great captain as well as being a decent batsmen averaging 40. Hopefully KW or Ryder can break some records and get onto a NZ all time eleven

Flem274*

123/5
I wouldn't bother with a spinner since none of ours are good enough. I'd play the extra seamer.

If all time elevens are picked on influence though then fair enough, Vettori and Fleming definitely get in. Not our best players but very influential on New Zealand Cricket.

If the team was picked for trying to beat another all time team then there are several batsmen I would consider ahead of Fleming.

What's interesting to note is because so many of our best played few tests for various reasons (in the early days it was mainly lack of games and the ban on picking County pros), modern day players like Ryder and Taylor can already have cases made for their inclusion.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan

Shoaib Mohammad
Hanif Mohammad
Inzamam-ul Haq
Javed Miandad
Zaheer Abbas
Saleem Malik
Imran Khan*
Wasim Akram
Rashid Latif+
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar

Saeed Anwar
Hanif Mohammad
Inzamam-ul Haq
Javed Miandad
Zaheer Abbas
Imran Khan*
Rashid Latif+
Wasim Akram
Abdul Qadir
Fazal Mahmood
Waqar Younis

Rashid Latif over Moin Khan? Don't know much about other Pakistani wicketkeeper-batsmen.