• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best all time XI for each country

Chehtha

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I would have Dravid at three if one of the openers gets out early.
In any case i dont think dravid is a good choice at the death overs. Would really help if u have guys who can accelerate pretty quickly like a dhoni.

Blaze 18

Banned
In any case i dont think dravid is a good choice at the death overs. Would really help if u have guys who can accelerate pretty quickly like a dhoni.
Well, you have Yuvraj Singh and Kapil Dev who can switch gears in the blink of an eye.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Are there any Scottish cricketers who play County Championship cricket at the moment? To my knowlegde, none of the Scotland ODI players do anymore. To me it seems quite odd because I've been given every indication to suggest cricket's a lot more popular in Scotland than Ireland.
Dewald Nel played a couple of CC games last season for kent and got a 6-for to be fair to him. There are a couple of talented players, Richie Berrington and Matty Parker, I know both had trials with Durham last season, so there's a possibilty they could be playing championship cricket in the not too distant future.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Josh Davey played a couple of games as well iirc.

But yeah, not sure why Scotland has a dearth of talent.

vcs

Bapu Nadkarni | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Batsmen faced with the problem of playing Bapu Nadkarni's left-arm spin had two scoring options to choose from: nil and negligible. Nadkarni was one of the game's most noted economists ever - he gave away just 1.67 runs per over over in his Test career. In the 1960-61 series against Pakistan, he returned figures of 32-24-23-0 at Kanpur followed by 34-24-24-1 at Delhi. He crowned that with Test cricket's finest display of quantity-control bowling, with 21 successive maidens in his 32-27-5-0 against England at Madras in 1964. His legendary parsimony and precision were the result of untiring research and development in the nets - he would bowl endlessly at a coin placed on a good length. Although he is mainly remembered for his bowling, Nadkarni was actually a competent allrounder. An obstinate batsman with a pronounced crouching stance, he scored 52 and 122, both not out, against England at Kanpur in 1963-64, and in his next outing, against Australia at Chennai, he came up with his Test best bowling effort: 5-31 and 6-91. And with a first-class average of more than 40, and an innings of 283 not out for Bombay v Delhi to his credit, he'd have been an automatic pick if one-day cricket had been around in his time.
Wow, averaged under 30 despite striking at greater than 100.. :-O That is some feat.

vcs

England ODI XI

Gooch (c)
Trescothick
Stewart (wk)
Pietersen
Lamb
Collingwood
Flintoff
Botham
Swann
Gough
Willis

Australia ODI XI is the closest one of these to actually exist.

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Waugh
Jones
Bevan
Symonds
Warne
Lee
Lillee
McGrath

(Swap Jones for Mark Waugh and Lillee for Bracken, that XI probably played)
Any all-time England ODI XI simply must include Neil Fairbrother, IMO. The precursor to the likes of Bevan, Hussey etc. Fantastic fielder as well. Would take him over Collingwood in a heartbeat.

Spark

Global Moderator
I wonder if anyone has ever done a "best on-field XI for each country"... I would find that more interesting tbh.

Zinzan

South Africa

Bruce Mitchell
Barry Richards
Graeme Pollock*
Dudley Nourse
Jacques Kallis
Clive Rice
Aubrey Faulkner
Mike Procter
Mark Boucher+
Neil Adcock
Allan Donald

Reserves: Dale Steyn, Graeme Smith, Peter Pollock, Shaun Pollock, Hugh Tayfield
Hmmm, Adcock & Steyn are fairly even, would probably lean towards the latter myself, also a decent argument for S Pollock ahead of Clive Rice & Faulkner to move up the order.

More than decent side none-the-less.

Zinzan

West Indies

Viv Richards
Gordon Greenidge
George Headley
Brian Lara
Everton Weekes
Garry Sobers*
Clyde Walcott+
Malcolm Marshall
Joel Garner
Curtly Ambrose
Michael Holding

Reserves: Conrad Hunte, Frank Worrell, Jeff Dujon, Andy Roberts
Great side, but wouldn't Headley be more likely to make the transition as an opener than Richards? Then you could have Lara at 3 & Viv @ 4.

The option of Walcott wicket-keeping makes it a ridiculously strong batting line-up, but wasn't he just a part-time keeper? Would be damn tough keeping to that bowling line-up.

Zinzan

Bapu Nadkarni | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Batsmen faced with the problem of playing Bapu Nadkarni's left-arm spin had two scoring options to choose from: nil and negligible. Nadkarni was one of the game's most noted economists ever - he gave away just 1.67 runs per over over in his Test career. In the 1960-61 series against Pakistan, he returned figures of 32-24-23-0 at Kanpur followed by 34-24-24-1 at Delhi. He crowned that with Test cricket's finest display of quantity-control bowling, with 21 successive maidens in his 32-27-5-0 against England at Madras in 1964. His legendary parsimony and precision were the result of untiring research and development in the nets - he would bowl endlessly at a coin placed on a good length. Although he is mainly remembered for his bowling, Nadkarni was actually a competent allrounder. An obstinate batsman with a pronounced crouching stance, he scored 52 and 122, both not out, against England at Kanpur in 1963-64, and in his next outing, against Australia at Chennai, he came up with his Test best bowling effort: 5-31 and 6-91. And with a first-class average of more than 40, and an innings of 283 not out for Bombay v Delhi to his credit, he'd have been an automatic pick if one-day cricket had been around in his time.
Or even more impressive ...

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Might do a couple

Aus
1.Victor Trumper
2.Matthew Hayden
3.Sir Donald Bradman
4.Greg Chappell
5.Ricky Ponting
6.Kieth Miller
7.Adam Gilchrist
8.Alan Davidson
9.Shane Warne
10.Dennis Lillee
11.Glenn Mcgrath

Davidson gets the nod over Oreilly because | don't like 5 man attacks with 2 spinners. He also gets ahead of Lindwall due to being a lefty and therefore adding superior variety without weakening the attack.

SA
1.Graeme Smith
2.Barry Richards
3.Graeme Pollock
4.Jacques Kallis
5.Dudley Nourse
6.Aubrey Faulkner
7.John Waite
8.Mike Proctor
9.Shaun Pollock
10.Alan Donald
11.Neil Adcock

For me, the hardest part of picking this XI is the keeper. Any of Boucher, Waite, Lindsay or Cameron would be fine.