• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ball-Tampering Hearing

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
If the above is true, Proctor stuffed up big-time. If nothing else, Inzy and the Pakistani management should have been informed that through their actions they were in danger of, or had already, forfeited the match.
I've seen reports that they were told that if they didn't come back out immediately they would forfeit and they then shut the door on the messenger.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If nothing else, Inzamam deserves to be punished for complete stupidity he displayed in handling the issue. He clearly has no idea of rules of games, he clearly has problem understanding words spoken in any language, he clearly has problem in taking decisions that are in his and his team's best interest.

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
Can't be farked reading all those in depth analyses of the situation - as good as i'm sure they are :unsure:

I've just come off three days of residential school and two straight days of 4th yr psych stats :wacko: (give the girl a drink!)... so, here are my thoughts...

I understand Doctrove wanted to wait a few more overs before considering changing the ball. He wasn't sure it was ball tampering. So you cannot claim he is fully supporting Hair. Hair has no proof whatsoever. If you cannot point the finger directly at a person, then how can you say tampering was taking place? Despite any suspicions you may have?

Second, whilst Pakistan were wronged - in my view - two wrongs don't make a right. They behaved childishly when they protested. There are other avenues in which they could have been heard. Not only did they forfeit a test they looked like winning, but they deprived thousands of cricket fans of the opportunity to see the match go to its logical conclusion. These guys are professionals. They need to behave in a manner commensurate with their standing.

Hair should never umpire again. He acted on intuition, not facts.
And Inzi should be suspended for as long as the ICC sees fit.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The most amazing thing about all of this is that Boycott appeared as an expert witness yet the hearing only went one day......:laugh:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pothas said:
just heard that Inzi has been cleared of ball tampering.
'Reports' of that on the BBC

Nice to see Blair get rid of some of that industrial strength whitewash he's been stockpiling and will no longer lead in the near future.

Pothas

Confirmed that he has been cleared of ball tampreing but found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute and banned for 4 one dayers or 2 tests. So he will miss the champions trophy. Think Pakistan will be fairly happy with that

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
It says Inzi is found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute though. Fair decision I say. Wonder what will happen with Hair now.

Scaly piscine

Pothas said:
Confirmed that he has been cleared of ball tampreing but found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute and banned for 4 one dayers or 2 tests. So he will miss the champions trophy. Think Pakistan will be fairly happy with that
Yep, that's the whole point of ICC's political fudge as predicted weeks ago.

Even when a Pakistani individual is shown doing something blatantly illegal with the ball in the one day series he gets off - so what chance when nobody from outside has seen the evidence?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Pretty much what was expected. I expect the PCB will appeal, but they should be pretty pleased with the outcome.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This does set a precedent that now ball tampering will have to be proved at a hearing, and it can't be called just because the umpire believes it is.

So bowlers all over the world should rejoice! :cool:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Scaly said:
Ball-tampering
On the first charge of ball-tampering under paragraph 2.9 of the Code, I find Mr ul-Haq not guilty.

Having regard to the seriousness of the allegation of ball-tampering (it is an allegation of cheating), I am not satisfied on the balance of probabilities that there is sufficiently cogent evidence that the fielding team had taken action likely to interfere with the condition of the ball.

In my judgment, the marks are as consistent with normal wear and tear of a match ball after 56 overs as they are with deliberate human intervention.

Mr Saini (acting on behalf of the ICC) submitted that I should not reject the consistent views of the experienced ICC witnesses. I have considered their evidence, honestly and fairly given, very carefully. But my duty is to form and give my own judgment.

Are you going to apologize Scaly?

Somehow, I doubt it. I had said that I would post an apology if Hair was found to be right. I hope you'll do the same.

With that said, I do think that he penalty should be harsher for bringing the game into disrepute, and orchestrating the first forfeit in the 127 year history of cricket.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
With that said, I do think that he penalty should be harsher for bringing the game into disrepute, and orchestrating the first forfeit in the 127 year history of cricket.
I agree. A four match ban is nothing, really. Ganguly got six games for the slow over rate thing, although he was a serial offender. I think its safe to say that the sensitivity of the issue and the poor handling of it by the officials may have something to do with the rather soft punishment.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Dasa said:
Pretty much what was expected. I expect the PCB will appeal, but they should be pretty pleased with the outcome.
Well I was wrong there.

Last edited:

Johnners

The result pretty doesn't help Hair's case for the ICC Trophy, or for ever umpiring in an international match again for that matter.