• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia a country with no culture: David Gower

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
A lot of NFL players have brain problems later in life, it's more about the look than the actual practicalities though. Rugby players throw themselves around without the gear while NFL players have **** covering their whole body, who sounds more brave?
That really wasn't the question. And who sounds what isn't really the issue.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, a Rugby player would probably maim his opponent, or himself, if he tried to perform an NFL tackle without the protective gear. It's used for a reason, funnily enough.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, a Rugby player would probably maim his opponent, or himself, if he tried to perform an NFL tackle without the protective gear. It's used for a reason, funnily enough.
Of course, not saying for a minute either sport takes more courage or is more dangerous (I wouldn't know - haven't played either) but a rugby player could be forgiven for thinking NFL players look a little less tough with all that gear.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Of course, not saying for a minute either sport takes more courage or is more dangerous (I wouldn't know - haven't played either) but a rugby player could be forgiven for thinking NFL players look a little less tough with all that gear.
Why?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
2 games with intense physical contact and tackling, one sport has protection the other doesn't
I think that rather misses the point to be honest, but alright. As others have said, what the participants look like is hardly relevant. I very much doubt you'd find many people, who when faced with an NFL linebacker (whether wearing gear, or not), would think them to be anything other than extremely intimidating.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm trying to take on a rugby player's perspective here - not mine.

I've been struggling on this thread ever since that unsourced union-more-brutal-than-league comment. I think I'll call it a day and watch the Pak-SA game.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One thing that constantly amazes me about NFL is how bad they are at tackling as it actually isn't all that common to see a guy take down his opponent cleanly when attempting to tackle front-on - generally, it's a half-clip quasi shoulder charge that simply puts the guy off balance

social

Exactly. I played League. I now play Union and for good reason. The ball is in play twice as long in a League game and the top tacklers make double the number a game than Union. The reason I now play Union at my age is that it is far easier physically. I wouldn't last 10 mins playing League at an OK level. League is the most physically demanding and brutal game. I have no issues with people preferring Union as a sport - personal preference and all - but the physicality isn't close.
Depends on the standard that you are playing in union (as well as the position to a degree)

Like most games possession is everything and at the top level, it's not uncommon to reach 10/15 phases on a play - that's 10/15 hit-ups being defended by the same 5-6 guys whilst having the **** kicked out of them each time the opposition recycles the ball for another phase

At lower level, teams don't have the discipline/skill to do that so players get a rest

Basically, any of the 3 (league, union and NFL) are absolutely brutal at the top level

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
One thing that constantly amazes me about NFL is how bad they are at tackling as it actually isn't all that common to see a guy take down his opponent cleanly when attempting to tackle front-on - generally, it's a half-clip quasi shoulder charge that simply puts the guy off balance
It's the SportsCenter syndrome. The big hits is what gets them the highlight, not a well executed proper tackle.

You want sportscenter, you do this.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Depends on the standard that you are playing in union (as well as the position to a degree)

Like most games possession is everything and at the top level, it's not uncommon to reach 10/15 phases on a play - that's 10/15 hit-ups being defended by the same 5-6 guys whilst having the **** kicked out of them each time the opposition recycles the ball for another phase

At lower level, teams don't have the discipline/skill to do that so players get a rest

Basically, any of the 3 (league, union and NFL) are absolutely brutal at the top level
True, but in League you've got a hit up, retreat 10m, tackle, repeat. If the opposition are getting quick play the balls then it's constant, regardless of whether you're actually involved.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
just pointing out ftr that cricket participation on the goldie is up across the board. not just bogans either, plenty of jonos playing too.
If a "jono" becomes the phrase for people who AREN'T bogans, I have done my duty in this world.

Pothas

Cricket and association football are the only real sports anyway. Everything else are just games, some of them are good games but still games.

Pothas

Only just noticed CWB has waded into this thread, I really hope he talks like that in real life.

uvelocity

International Coach
If a "jono" becomes the phrase for people who AREN'T bogans, I have done my duty in this world.
i actually meant in as unoffensive a way as possible, australians of indian heritage. the participation of that demograhpic has exploded here in the last few years.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh haha I thought you just meant non-bogans in particular (i.e. people who are not you).

I'll take Australians of Indian heritage though. Yeah there are heaps of them. I was the only one in high school and thought I was special. And then I went to uni and there were heaps of them. They had their clubs where they all spoke with Australian accents, would always binge drink and sleep around like sluts. I thought I was unique but I'm not.

**** them.

Son Of Coco

I don't know...Nate Myles headbutts his opponents all the time and he seems alright. Although you could argue that ****ting in a hotel hallway may have been the result of one too many head knocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.