• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia a country with no culture: David Gower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hi Dan. I'm trying to message you but only succeeded in messaging myself. :oops: Can you or anyone give me a crash course in sending messages to a specific person on the forum?
Ah, I made the same mistake many times. Click on my profile and write a message there, or there may be a 'View Conversation' button underneath the message I sent you, which then takes you onto a separate page for the conversation.

I'm not 100% sure with the new upgrade.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both football codes are played all over the country, in some parts Rugby is the number one sport, in most parts AFL is the number one sport. Cricket like both football codes is played in all parts but is not number one anywhere.
Rugby isn't the number one code anywhere in Australia.

Burgey

Especially not in western Sydney. Rugby League is the number one code there. They're two different sports.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Every player of every code will claim other codes are 'gay', I don't think soccer is exempt. The recent success of the socceroos has promoted it above the two national rugby teams however, and more people are following it. The recent A-league season has also proved that Soccer (calling our national team the "socceroos" probably suggests our attitude towards the name soccer doesn't it?) is on the rise.
God forbid! With the possible exception of soccer, who the heck are the Union boys daring to call gay?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
God forbid! With the possible exception of soccer, who the heck are the Union boys daring to call gay?
American footballers with all their protective gear? League players for playing a slightly less brutal version of their game (IMO)?

Burgey

Have you watched an NRL match Maximas? I don't know how you could describe it as less brutal than either rugby or NFL.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Have you watched an NRL match Maximas? I don't know how you could describe it as less brutal than either rugby or NFL.
Exactly. I played League. I now play Union and for good reason. The ball is in play twice as long in a League game and the top tacklers make double the number a game than Union. The reason I now play Union at my age is that it is far easier physically. I wouldn't last 10 mins playing League at an OK level. League is the most physically demanding and brutal game. I have no issues with people preferring Union as a sport - personal preference and all - but the physicality isn't close.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Really? wouldn't have expected that, was a very unsourced comment obviously. I assumed because of the fact that union is more open (no stops like in league) that the quest to get the ball out made it more brutal. I was really just trying to make up excuses though, so sorry about that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
NFL players wear protective gear but that also allows them to effectively become plastic missiles - they can throw themselves with absolute abandon. Long term injury stats are pretty terrible for the sport.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
NFL players wear protective gear but that also allows them to effectively become plastic missiles - they can throw themselves with absolute abandon. Long term injury stats are pretty terrible for the sport.
A lot of NFL players have brain problems later in life, it's more about the look than the actual practicalities though. Rugby players throw themselves around without the gear while NFL players have **** covering their whole body, who sounds more brave?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Enough of the mindless bashing, let's get back to cricket....and Australian cultural contributions ;-)
It's pretty simple

Look up the number of internationally acclaimed/awarded Australians in virtually any pursuit and there are a truck load of them e.g. Cate Blanchett (one of a number of Academy Award winners), Geraldine Brooks (Pullitzer Prize winner), Sharon Davson (internationally acclaimed artist whose last painting sold for $5+ million), (Tetsuya Wakuda - one of the world's great chefs) etc etc etc

Then if you still believe that Australians have made no cultural contributions, there is nothing I or anyone else can say to change your mind

Status
Not open for further replies.