• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Quarter Final - New Zealand v West Indies (21st March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howsie

International Captain
I agree NZ should win this match, but I do think it's fair to say their batting hasn't been tested much of late in either setting scores against good attacks or chasing anything reasonable. I still back them here to win quite well, but there are question marks not so much over the quality of their batting as with the fact they've barely had to pick up a cue lately.
This might've been a problem had this World Cup been played in the SC IMO. New Zealand not so much. If NZ have to set a target we will set a big enough target, if they have to chase a big target we'll chase it. In McCullum, Williamson and Taylor we have three of the best ODI batsman in the world playing cricket at home. I'd be surprised if they all failed on the same day.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Where do I start with this....

It's the same old story with you Windies fans 'We have this player, that player, this guy out, this guy coming through' New Zealand will win this and probably win well. Too much quality with both bat and ball as well as playing at home which is a massive advantage AFAIC. New Zealand have won six from six this tournament and guys like Williamson, Taylor, Anderson and Ronchi have barely fired a shot.
Er when have I complained about missing players during this World Cup or talked about a host of players coming through? Also, I don't disagree with the above quote at all. As I clearly said, NZ are a better side than us, there's no two ways about it.

But you said this would be one of the greatest World Cup shocks in history which is a) a completely different thing and b) one of the more ludicrous statements I have come across tbh. We are capable of beating this NZ side if we play well on the day. I don't think we will but if we do it will not be a shock, just a case of the better team losing to a mercurial but talented team on the day.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'm nervous about Russell too - if he comes in at the death with a good platform laid, he's capable of an onslaught unlike anything we've experienced in the tournament.
He's going to come in at about 40/4 and make less than 10.

Moss

This might've been a problem had this World Cup been played in the SC IMO. New Zealand not so much. If NZ have to set a target we will set a big enough target, if they have to chase a big target we'll chase it. In McCullum, Williamson and Taylor we have three of the best ODI batsman in the world playing cricket at home. I'd be surprised if they all failed on the same day.
Did you consider the 2011 QF win over SA a major upset? People were saying similar stuff about NZ then (as you are about the Windies now), and we know that side was a decent one which happened to be playing quite badly at the time. I think NZ would do well to remember that game. Ryder and Williamson showed it only takes a couple of guys to keep their heads and play sensible innings while everyone around them is panicking, and it's not beyond Samuels and Simmons to do the same.

To repeat what I said in an earlier post, teams will be aiming at breaking through to the Elliott/Anderson/Ronchi middle order knowing they'll be vulnerable against sustained pace (somebody like Watling, or Styris from yesteryear would have been more reassuring). I rate them all but I don't see them pulling NZ out of the woods from 60/4 (they did so against the Lankans, but we're talking far better pace attacks from now on). So, greater onus on the top 4 to set a platform, hope they approach things sensibly. Taylor/Holder/Roach/Russell is a fairly challenging attack.

viriya

International Captain
One fact to chew on - neither SA or NZ have ever made a WC final.. if NZ win this match, this will change. Fold over please WI - your time is not now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
WI made it through the tough group. They didn't have the chance to play mug teams like Lanka and England. They're battle hardened!

:ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
Where do I start with this....

On Gayle you and me both know he isn't the same player he once was, bar that 200 he hasn't scored a run in ODI in years. He might do something of note in this game but personally I wouldn't bet on it. Especially when I've seen him struggle against Boult and Southee in the past. As for possessing the biggest hitters, what does that actually mean in the scheme of things? Is that like saying we have the fastest bowler and it actually mean something. If you're trying to tell me that in Sammy and Russell the Windies have the best finishes in World Cricket by a mile then I'm not buying that one bit.

It's the same old story with you Windies fans 'We have this player, that player, this guy out, this guy coming through' New Zealand will win this and probably win well. Too much quality with both bat and ball as well as playing at home which is a massive advantage AFAIC. New Zealand have won six from six this tournament and guys like Williamson, Taylor, Anderson and Ronchi have barely fired a shot.
5 years ago this was posted in the direction of NZ fans, you included

We should win and this understrength windies side is pretty average thanks to the top order and support b Iwlers but it wouldn't be thw biggest upset ever.

South africa won a knock out ffs

Howsie

International Captain
Meh. If you don't believe the best team (arguably) getting knocked out in a QF at home against a team that lost to Ireland and barely made it out if the group stage isn't a huge upset then I don't know. I guess most people like usual are just underestimating how good this team is. NZ wins this game 10/10 IMO, at this ground with the crowd they will have behind them on Saturday. West Indies aren't getting close I'm sorry.

Quaggas

State Captain
Meh. If you don't believe the best team (arguably) getting knocked out in a QF at home against a team that lost to Ireland and barely made it out if the group stage isn't a huge upset then I don't know. I guess most people like usual are just underestimating how good this team is. NZ wins this game 10/10 IMO, at this ground with the crowd they will have behind them on Saturday. West Indies aren't getting close I'm sorry.
10./10 I might swallow, but not 10/10

GGG

State Captain
I won't be hurt because if WI win it it means they played out of their skin and hence deserve it. It will be a upset but to write them off is just silly.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Ahaha look what the dog dragged in once the windies squeaked into the quarters. It's Fairweatherwindies.
LOL "fair weather"? :laugh: nice try, but i was here when we swept NZ aside and i remained during our recent defeats by SA and NZ. So no buddy, nothing "fair weather" about this poster here.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So much hurt if NZ stumble. It Will be glorious
The pressure is all on them mate..and you can tell by the responses from the NZ fans!!!..a lot of "big talk" but under the surface they've got the gitters because their team can no longer hide behind the "under dog" tag any longer :laugh: .

I'm loving it really...us WI fans are in a no lose situation here. We're not expected to beat the "mighty" kiwis because of course we lost to Ireland, have a depleted team and no head coach!!...lets see how the black caps handle the heat in the kitchen :D .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pakistan didn't lose to Ireland and Australia are playing in the 3rd quarterfinal.

Moss

Beamer's posting has been great.
Agreed. He's been putting things nicely in perspective. The two teams have seen quite a lot of each other in the last 3 years, so a bit of planning should be going into this game.

Wonder if the Windies are considering playing Benn, considering opening with Shakib worked for Bangladesh.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
So South Africa after that win against Sri Lanka have a better record at WC kockout matches than NZ!