• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20th Match - New Zealand v Australia

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howsie

International Captain
Can't wait for the guys who went to the game to start filtering in and describing the atmosphere. It's been a very long time since we've seen something like that at an NZ game. Even the Baz 300 at the Basin wasn't quite the same. Everything a kiwi did well, even if it was pick the ball up, got a huge cheer and the Aussies copped it. Pretty amped up atmosphere, like what you see in Indian ODIs over there. The crowd wanted demolition.
I've never experienced anything even close to that from a cricket game in New Zealand, easily the best viewing experience I've ever had. 40,000 plus wanting nothing but blood and just absolutely giving it to the Australians. That spell from Boult will live long in my memory, you just don't get cricketing experiences like that as a New Zealand fan. Likewise when Williamson put Cummins back over his head to win the game, the crowd was just going nuts for a good minute or so after being dead quiet 30 seconds beforehand. It wasn't the best quality of game, although both Starc and Boult were immense. But I doubt I'll ever as a New Zealand fan experience a better time at one.

A couple of decent chants went up across the stadium throughout the day. One was just after Boult bowled Starc where most of the East stand started up a "aussie, aussie, aussie, and replaced the oi with out, thought that was decent. And when they were about 110-9 half the crowd started chanting "You're worse then England" which was great to be a part of. The crowd really got inside Johnson's head too, after his first spell he walked back down to fine leg and flipped the bird for a good five seconds to the section of the crowd who were just giving it to him.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
Definitely, but that's where the debate started. I was saying I take that into account the "good" too. Vettori was so gun, really caught me off guard. Just cos this was a "weird" match doesn't mean we shouldn't take away from this that Dan is still gun. Next time a NZ opening bowler gets tonked we will think about Dan coming on super early.

basically, this game wasn't a "hey weird game, good to watch. Can't read anything into it". That's what Spark and I were debating really.
You can try to take something out of it but it doesn't mean you are right or wrong I suppose.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
All that debate about Southee...please take into account he got whacked on his right scapula by a throw from Milne, our 150km speedster, 2 days before the game.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Here's a question for you all.

These attacks are rightly rated in the top three in the cup. However, if the players in them never existed, where do you think these two attacks would rank?

Harris | Hazlewood | Faulkner | Coulter-Nile | Doherty

Mills | McClenaghan | Henry | McCullum | Neesham

Both second string attacks are top four contenders imo
wonder what spikey thinks about you not picking lyon

99*

International Debutant
I've never experienced anything even close to that from a cricket game in New Zealand, easily the best viewing experience I've ever had. 40,000 plus wanting nothing but blood and just absolutely giving it to the Australians. That spell from Boult will live long in my memory, you just don't get cricketing experiences like that as a New Zealand fan. Likewise when Williamson put Cummins back over his head to win the game, the crowd was just going nuts for a good minute or so after being dead quiet 30 seconds beforehand. It wasn't the best quality of game, although both Starc and Boult were immense. But I doubt I'll ever as a New Zealand fan experience a better time at one.

A couple of decent chants went up across the stadium throughout the day. One was just after Boult bowled Starc where most of the East stand started up a "aussie, aussie, aussie, and replaced the oi with out, thought that was decent. And when they were about 110-9 half the crowd started chanting "You're worse then England" which was great to be a part of. The crowd really got inside Johnson's head too, after his first spell he walked back down to fine leg and flipped the bird for a good five seconds to the section of the crowd who were just giving it to him.
Yeah nothings come close to yesterday's crowd in my experience. From the fall of Warner to McCullum's wicket it was just madness every ball. It wasn't until Starc started his demolition that it really subsided, and even then it picked right back up for Williamson/Anderson smashing a few boundaries and then the replay of Corey's wicket which almost started a small riot. But man, Kane's six was something else. The shift in noise from "how the **** have we lost this?" to "He just hit a ****ing six to win it!" in the space of a couple seconds is something I'll never forget. Just pure joy from nearly everybody. I just started laughing like a maniac.

But forgetting the actual game, they could not have picked a better occasion for Martin's induction. What an amazing moment for him to have 40,000 in Eden Park to celebrate his life and what he's done for cricket. I was tearing up during his speech, and during the standing ovation while he left the field.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah nothings come close to yesterday's crowd in my experience. From the fall of Warner to McCullum's wicket it was just madness every ball. It wasn't until Starc started his demolition that it really subsided, and even then it picked right back up for Williamson/Anderson smashing a few boundaries and then the replay of Corey's wicket which almost started a small riot. But man, Kane's six was something else. The shift in noise from "how the **** have we lost this?" to "He just hit a ****ing six to win it!" in the space of a couple seconds is something I'll never forget. Just pure joy from nearly everybody. I just started laughing like a maniac.

But forgetting the actual game, they could not have picked a better occasion for Martin's induction. What an amazing moment for him to have 40,000 in Eden Park to celebrate his life and what he's done for cricket. I was tearing up during his speech, and during the standing ovation while he left the field.
Do you remember any of what Martin said- they didn't show any coverage other than quick highlights of his ceremony.

99*

International Debutant
Do you remember any of what Martin said- they didn't show any coverage other than quick highlights of his ceremony.
- Said he was proud of the team so far in the game.
- Mentioned how appropriate it was to be inducted here. Due to his debut being here, and about how his parents would always come to games here to see him,
- Spoke about how proud he was to be the third Kiwi in the HoF. After Hadlee and Hockley. About time someone from the North Island got in.
- Continued by thanking everyone in his family, friends, teammates and everybody involved in his career.
- Said he would never forget this day.
- Finished up by saying he did dare to dream, that this Black Caps side can win the WC.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's awesome. I see they're just calling the ends the north end and south end now - maybe they could name one after him?

Chewie

That's awesome. I see they're just calling the ends the north end and south end now - maybe they could name one after him?
Well I presume they can't call it the ASB stand when ANZ sponsors the WC

edit: oh the ends, I guess that's a bit different

_Ed_

Yeah, the ends - used to be Sandringham and City prior to reconfiguration if I remember right.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Just finished watching the full replay, including our collapse that I missed seeing (not voluntarily) - gave me a heart palpitation even though I knew the match had a happy ending. Kanee's six, wow, even if he thought he knew what Cummins would bowl that was a big risk and he absolutely nailed it.

Brilliant :)

OverratedSanity

Kane's six the most awesome one I've ever seen tbh. The situation of the match, the way he did it, in a world cup vs Aus, and his cool fist pump even before the ball cleared the boundary, just amazing all round

Moss

Well what a game. From the tournament's perspective this was what was needed, but it was some very questionable-decision making from NZ's batsmen which set up the finish TBH. Taylor, Anderson, Vettori (surprisingly) and Guptill (who should have just dropped anchor, it was inevitable BMac was going to go down swinging soon having been hit by Johnson) need some real introspection over their dismissals. Would also add KW's decision to take that single against Starc. It's things like this which put me in the camp that feels NZ will trip up in the knockout stages. Beating Aus with 5-6 wickets down would have been so different psychologically, it was their one chance to put some self-doubt into the Aussies Although NZ ought to be the happier team after this game, I'm not sure both teams will see it that way. From an Aussie POV it was a much-needed rude awakening that will probably work in their favour. Hope I'm wrong!

On to the positives. McCullum's captaincy was what had the greatest influence on the game for me. It took real guts to bowl those three guys right through, and it showed other teams how Australia can be beaten (though it's a hard blueprint to follow, and such gambles won't come off every time). Equally that tenth wicket partnership was entirely down to that stupid tactic of spreading the field for the recognised batsman (Haddin) and not trying to get him out, it's Baz's one weak point as captain. As far as I'm concerned from the time Vettori came on to bowl the rest of the innings was almost completely dictated by McCullum's decision making, which is a big deal given it was against Australia.

Overall, even if NZ don't go on win the cup, it's a team we supporters can feel proud of. And yeah, that Eden Park crowd!

Spark

Global Moderator
From an Aussie POV it was a much-needed rude awakening that will probably work in their favour. Hope I'm wrong!
Work in their favour is questionable (I'm in the "winning > losing except in very specific circumstances i.e. your team actually sucks" camp) but Clarke suggested that it was exactly this. Timely too, given that it's early in the tournament still.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I don't think the loss will help Aussie. To suggest that it would suggests to me that Aussie either went into the match underprepared or complacent. I don't think either of those things are true - they just got beaten. It happens.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think the loss will help Aussie. To suggest that it would suggests to me that Aussie either went into the match underprepared or complacent. I don't think either of those things are true - they just got beaten. It happens.
If they were practicing primarily hitting sixes because of the short straight boundary and neglecting working on swing as Clarke says then that is pretty much the definition of complacency, particularly given what happened to England last week. There is a certain arrogance inherent in the sort of thinking that leads to that happening.