• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10th Match - Australia v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The umpiring was atrocious. It was a disgrace.
While I wouldn't call it a disgrace, they probably do need better education on the rules around how many bouncers per over should be allowed though. Because while it didn't affect the outcome of this match, their favouring of the WI by allowing 4 bouncers an over was definitely unfair on Australia.

Borges

International Regular
So WI had doubts about these umpires before the match.
They weren't prescient; they had no clue before the match.
They started having doubts about the quality of umpiring as the match progressed; these doubts became stronger as event after event unfolded.

TNT

Banned
They weren't prescient; they had no clue before the match.
they started having doubts about the quality of umpiring as the match progressed; these doubts became stronger as event after event unfolded.
So the batsmen started to get worried about the balls that would hit their pads and be right in the umpires call zone. Yeah I can see how that would have a big impact on their confidence.

cnerd123

likes this
While I wouldn't call it a disgrace, they probably do need better education on the rules around how many bouncers per over should be allowed though. Because while it didn't affect the outcome of this match, their favouring of the WI by allowing 4 bouncers an over was definitely unfair on Australia.
how can anyone watching from front-on view have any idea on where the ball crosses the batsman is beyond me. Did someone actually take side-on camera replays of all the short balls and prove that the umpires were repeatedly letting bowlers get away with two or more bouncers in an over? Sincere question, because I have seen nothing of this on any mainstream news/media yet. Just seems to be commentators in this thread watching the telecast and nothing else.

Agree with the rest re. umpires being humans and being allowed to make mistakes. 4 mistakes in 600 balls of umpiring isn't bad umpiring. You have fielders who make more errors than that each and every game. For some reason you've got people who have never umpired a day in their lives thinking that match officials are immune to being human. That's why we have DRS idiots. Decision making is a judgement call, humans have imperfect judgement, and thanks to DRS there was no real lasting consequence on the outcome of the match. Storm in a teacup.

The real crime here is how the Holder and 'Remember the Name' played Starc's final over. They could have finished this game off with a bit of common sense. So disappointing to see. Russel's dismissal too - absolutely no need for it. And Hope's dismissal. And Hetmeyer's run-out. All that after the atrocious display from Australia's top order. Such bad cricket from both teams, and yet all they can do is complain about the umpires having an off day...

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I wouldn't go that far. Atrocious was touring Asia before neutral umpires.
Says someone who hasn't seen Daryl Harper and Darrel Hair officiate.
Every country had their fair share of poor umpires with the possible exception of England. Those guys always went by the books.

Beamer

The umpiring in this game was crap; these two gentlemen should not be allowed to officiate in any game where just one of the big three is playing.

It makes it very unfair on batsmen chasing a competitive score if they suspect, with good reason, that every close decision is going to be given against them; one wrong call and they wouldn't even have any reviews left.
Very well put. It didn't affect the result, we lost for other reasons but that doesn't mean what happened was right.

I saw things completely differently from Stephen, but I guess each to their own.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Very well put. It didn't affect the result, we lost for other reasons but that doesn't mean what happened was right.
What's your issue with what happened? All the umpiring mistakes were corrected by DRS, so I don't get what you think 'isn't right'. DRS has a role to play in pretty much every game.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You shouldn't be forced to constantly gamble on DRS time and time again to clean up the umpires mess

TheJediBrah

You shouldn't be forced to constantly gamble on DRS time and time again to clean up the umpires mess
The decisions weren't even that bad though. It's not like they were howlers, they were all relatively borderline calls. This whinging has been ridiculous.

stephen

If the decisions are big shockers then it's not a gamble.
Actually the WI got lucky with their gambles. Gayle could easily have lost them their review on his lbw. He was lucky the ball was hitting on umpires call.

Then Holder got lucky reviewing Maxwell. It did pitch outside leg but only by around 2cm.

If anything, the WI got the rub of the green.

Burgey

The umpiring in this game was crap; these two gentlemen should not be allowed to officiate in any game where just one of the big three is playing.

It makes it very unfair on batsmen chasing a competitive score if they suspect, with good reason, that every close decision is going to be given against them; one wrong call and they wouldn't even have any reviews left.
You’re now saying the umpires cheated. Well done. ****ing tin foil hat bull****. Pull your head in.

Spark

Global Moderator
The conspiracy stuff is ludicrous and overblown, but it did give the game a somewhat farcical element.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Actually the WI got lucky with their gambles. Gayle could easily have lost them their review on his lbw. He was lucky the ball was hitting on umpires call.

Then Holder got lucky reviewing Maxwell. It did pitch outside leg but only by around 2cm.

If anything, the WI got the rub of the green.
Umpires call is not getting lucky.

The ball pitching 2cm outside umpires call is not getting lucky. It is DRS being used correctly in its current guise.

stephen

Umpires call is not getting lucky.

The ball pitching 2cm outside umpires call is not getting lucky. It is DRS being used correctly in its current guise.
Not really. DRS is supposed to prevent howlers. That was not a howler by any means. It was a close call and the review was a piece of desperate luck. Holder was not convinced and waited a long time to call it.

Honestly, before DRS I think we'd have simply accepted those decisions and got on with life. Now we're getting the right result and more criticism of it.

Beamer

What's your issue with what happened? All the umpiring mistakes were corrected by DRS, so I don't get what you think 'isn't right'. DRS has a role to play in pretty much every game.
That all the bad decisions went against one team is my issue. It was remarkable. Anyway, we move on. It was a good match and I think both teams look in pretty good shape.

stephen

That all the bad decisions went against one team is my issue. It was remarkable. Anyway, we move on. It was a good match and I think both teams look in pretty good shape.
It was a good game and I definitely understand the emotional reaction to the umpiring. Honestly, I'm happy that the correct decision was achieved in each case (no ball free hit aside).

vcs

The ICC should chop off a finger for every incorrect decision until both forefingers are gone. Then they should sack them because they would be unable to give anyone out.
I'm on mobile so I can't check.. Did ***** like this post?