• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10th Match - Australia v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I went to bed not long after Gayle went out, but in his innings:

* Given out caught behind off a ball he didn't hit. I will say this one I think it's fair enough that the umpire got confused. The ball was near his body and the sound was woody. You wouldn't have expected it to be a case of "taking the inside edge of the stumps and not dislodging it".
* Given out LBW, then overturned because it was missing leg. This one was much dodgier, on replay looked to be clearly missing leg. Even live it looked legsidish.
* Given out LBW, this time his review was turned down. However the ball before a massive no-ball was missed, accordingly the ball that dismissed him should've been a free hit. Also the LBW was umpire's call...while it's the sort of umpire's call that an umpire should give out, you could argue given what happened in the other two deliveries he deserved a 50/50 to go his way.
seriously that's it? Definitely doesn't warrant the reaction I've seen.

bad decisions that were overturned anyway? irrelevant and meaningless, no discernible effect on the game
being out lbw and the decision staying out because it was hitting the stumps? sounds like the right decision was made
no ball the ball before meaning the wicket ball should have been a free hit? That is a seriously spurious complaint lol

If that's the extent of it, then WI have nothing to complain about. One could argue that the umpires where incredibly lenient on the WI quicks bouncer barrage at the start of the match, and that a lot of them should have been no-balls due to overuse. A few of us were commenting on that at the time as well. And it was that tactic, which potentially shouldn't have been allowed to the extent it was, that swung the game so heavily for WI in the first place.

You could say, from a certain point of view, that overall WI were actually helped immensely by the umpiring, and Australia were more hard done by. They definitely don't seem to have much to complain about at all, given that the real bad decisions against them were reversed anyway.

Holding was livid. Liked his conviction.
Holding takes being a grouchy, confused old man to extreme levels when WI aren't doing well/lose. He can be painful to listen to, and was horrible in the 00s when WI lost everything. I had to turn of the commentary every time he started ranting about whatever he was angry about on the given day.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

If it wasn't obvious, I'm basing my above post purely on Morgeib's description. If there were a bunch of other bad decisions later in the innings that cost WI then I'd rethink my position.

Burgey

If it wasn't obvious, I'm basing my above post purely on Morgeib's description. If there were a bunch of other bad decisions later in the innings that cost WI then I'd rethink my position.
There were. The decision of Russel to play the shot he did and then the decisions of Brathwaite and Holder to take on Starc were all shockers.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Complaining about the no ball and assuming it would have had an impact on the next delivery is venturing dangerously close to time travel territory. For all you know the ball after the free hit that should've been might have got Gayle out.

TheJediBrah

Complaining about the no ball and assuming it would have had an impact on the next delivery is venturing dangerously close to time travel territory. For all you know the ball after the free hit that should've been might have got Gayle out.
Exactly. The only complaint with basis is that WI missed out on a run and a re-bowled delivery. Implying that it cost them a wicket is dumb. It really doesn't seem as though WI have much to complain about with the umpiring at all. They should be thanking them for letting them get away with the bouncer tactic.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My gut instinct was after a ball missing leg by miles was given on field(can't call this luck on Gayle's part, it was a clever review) then Gayle should have got a bit more leeway by the on field umpire on the next lbw that ended up being umpires call, but he wasn't

And Jedi they were just the Gayle incidents. Holder was also incorrectly given out twice

Zinzan

My gut instinct was after a ball missing leg by miles was given on field(can't call this luck on Gayle's part, it was a clever review) then Gayle should have got a bit more leeway by the on field umpire on the next lbw that ended up being umpires call, but he wasn't
Funnily enough, I was considering starting a thread the other day on whether Chris Gaffaney was close to the best umpire going around atm.

Pleased I didn't. That was a shocker the one angling well past leg-stump. Aside from this match hasn't he been one of the better umps in the last couple of years?

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Yeah agreed I don't have an issue with DRS. it actually kept the match competitive because if the umpired had their way the match would have been trashed.

But I do think the reasons behind the one-sidedness of the umpiring should be explored in this game. It wasn't as if one attack was so much better than the other (unlike the Aussie juggernaut that used to get lots of decisions against us in the 2000's). Mikey Holding thinks it was the Aussie appealing and the umpires were weak. Perhaps that's right, I'm not sure. Either way, it shouldn't be swept under the carpet but dealt with behind closed doors.
There's no conspiracy. Only incompetence. Listen to your man, Jason. He knows.

TheJediBrah

why? that doesn't make sense to me at all. Surely you try and make the right decision every time

And Jedi they were just the Gayle incidents. Holder was also incorrectly given out twice
Were they reversed as well? If so then there really was no discernible influence on the match.

It's definitely a worry that so many errors were made, but if they were all reversed by DRS then WI were not hard done by in any way

Zinzan

I didn't hear it, but sounds like Holding was carrying on like a baby in the commentary box. Bad umpiring happens, and with DRS the really bad ones are basically eliminated unless a team has been too greedy in wasting them earlier.

mr_mister

why? that doesn't make sense to me at all. Surely you try and make the right decision every time

Were they reversed as well? If so then there really was no discernible influence on the match.

It's definitely a worry that so many errors were made, but if they were all reversed by DRS then WI were not hard done by in any way
The pressure to constantly have to use DRS and risk wasting it is no small thing IMO. Holder was very hesitant to use one where the ball was missing on an lbw probably because he thought surely the umpire hasn't screwed up again, but alas he went for it. It just started to seem a bit of a joke. And with the Gayle thing it's harder to justify my argument, I just kinda felt with on field umpires call being such a deciding factor on 50-50 decisions Gayle deserved one to go his way

Zinzan

The pressure to constantly have to use DRS and risk wasting it is no small thing IMO. Holder was very hesitant to use one where the ball was missing on an lbw probably because he thought surely the umpire hasn't screwed up again, but alas he went for it. It just started to seem a bit of a joke. And with the Gayle thing it's harder to justify my argument, I just kinda felt with on field umpires call being such a deciding factor on 50-50 decisions Gayle deserved one to go his way
I'd be poor umpiring to think that way. Trying to even out previous mistakes instead of assessing every decision based on its own merits.

the big bambino

International Captain

So a bloke was given out fairly and the other, by the sounds of it was able to overturn bad decisions. Oh the injustice.

how can be you given LBW when the bails probably won't be dislodged
Its almost like no one's obliged to consider that.

TheJediBrah

I agree that the umpiring was poor, but it doesn't warrant the complaining I've been hearing. WI weren't unlucky and the result of the match wasn't affected by the umpiring.

Stapel

International Regular
seriously that's it? Definitely doesn't warrant the reaction I've seen.
No, that wasn't it! Later on, Holder was given twice. Also twice reversed.

It was really, really bad. Yet, I don't think it's suspicious, or whatever. Just umpires having a bad day. Just like Tendulkar could play a bad shot, or McGrath could bowl a wide.

It stinks, but happens: Pitching outside leg, going further to the legside, yet given.

Last edited:

stephen

Lol they've won 2 games against 2 minnows

(being a bit harsh on WI but let's be honest you wouldn't have backed either Afg or WI as top 4 teams)

I feel like like the decision making is the main part of their job
I was poking fun at ***** logic.