• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10th Match - Australia v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

the big bambino

International Captain
Is that the Gayle lbw? because cricinfo's commentary isn't controversial. Stone dead this time around they say. Even says the WI retains their review.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I agree that the umpiring was poor, but it doesn't warrant the complaining I've been hearing. WI weren't unlucky and the result of the match wasn't affected by the umpiring.
I think any team that has 4 bad decisions against them (reversed or not) and their best batsman given out on what should have been a free hit have pretty reasonable grounds to be annoyed. I have said three times now that I don't think it changed the outcome of the match, but complaints are certainly justified and we must not have another match that is so terribly officiated in this World Cup.

the big bambino

International Captain
Not really, or atleast the WI haven't been singled out. Umps haven't been calling no balls for ages. Sharma bowled a boat load that weren't called in a tight test against Australia but you just cop it. You can be impartial in the interests of the game and say the umps need to start calling no balls again. But when you are motivated to complain because you reckon your man should have had a free hit then I don't think its credible.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think any team that has 4 bad decisions against them (reversed or not) and their best batsman given out on what should have been a free hit have pretty reasonable grounds to be annoyed.
I don't think so tbh. If anything I think WI should be pretty happy that they were getting away with bowling 4 bouncers an over, which did probably have an actual impact on the match

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I think any team that has 4 bad decisions against them (reversed or not) and their best batsman given out on what should have been a free hit have pretty reasonable grounds to be annoyed. I have said three times now that I don't think it changed the outcome of the match, but complaints are certainly justified and we must not have another match that is so terribly officiated in this World Cup.
Annoyed. Why? West Indies had one no-ball not called and it's ridiculous to hypothesise what would have happened from there, anyway. Gayle could have conceivably been run out off it. Or out the next ball.

DRS worked. Move on.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just saw the Maxwell-Holder review. It looked dead live and on replay the only thing that saved Holder was that it pitched about 2cm outside leg.

In isolation all of the overturned decisions that I've seen were reasonable decisions. The leg side Starc overturned lbw looked worse live due to Gayle falling across his stumps and the ball swinging very late at 150kph.

Honestly WI can count themselves lucky that DRS saved them on numerous occasions.

Oh and Australia weren't excessively appealing either.

stephen

The Zampa one looked pretty good too. I was surprised when it was so far out on replay. Maybe a case of cameras not lining up perfectly with the pitch.

mr_mister

Or maybe these umpires should be handed their two weeks notice. Would rather ***** out there officiating tbqh

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
The ICC should chop off a finger for every incorrect decision until both forefingers are gone. Then they should sack them because they would be unable to give anyone out.

stephen

Haha at the end of the 45th three crowd were asked who would win. They cheered the West Indies and booed Australia. Lovely poms.

Borges

International Regular
The umpiring in this game was crap; these two gentlemen should not be allowed to officiate in any game where just one of the big three is playing.

It makes it very unfair on batsmen chasing a competitive score if they suspect, with good reason, that every close decision is going to be given against them; one wrong call and they wouldn't even have any reviews left.

stephen

The umpiring in this game was crap; these two gentlemen should not be allowed to officiate in any game where just one of the big three is playing.

It makes it very unfair on batsmen chasing a competitive score if they suspect, with good reason, that every close decision is going to be given against them; one wrong call and they wouldn't even have any reviews left.
Yeah the umpiring wasn't great, but watching the decisions in isolation, all of them were justifiable mistakes. They just all happened to occur in the same innings. It was 4 bad decisions in total.

The first was the ball hitting the stump which both sounded and looked like it was an inside edge in real time.

The second was an lbw where the batsman fell across his stumps to a 150kph inswinger. It looked much closer live than it was on replay.

The third was an lbw decision which was overturned because 30% of the ball pitched in line with the stumps instead of the minimum 50%.

The final one was an lbw for a leg spinner that hit the batsman on the back leg which was in front of middle and leg having pitched in line. It didn't turn as much as it needed to but live it looked very good.

Each of the four were overturned and two of them were so difficult they barely count as mistakes. EVERYONE thought the Gayle "edge" was out live. The Maxwell lbw was only pitching a fraction down leg.

The quality of the umpiring was nowhere near as bad as the media are making out.

stephen

I have to say that both of Holder's reviews felt more like desperation than legitimate belief. Certainly the Maxwell one in particular I'm sure he only reviewed because he was the last batsman of note left.

TNT

Banned

So WI had doubts about these umpires before the match, still its quite odd for batsmen to worry about things they cannot change.