• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most profound World Cup Winners

Most profound World Cup Winner

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say 1983. Immense stuff. Wouldnt say 1996, I felt at the time that SL got a free ride for most of the tournament because several sides pulled out of playing in SL, I cant remember who or how many points SL got as a result, but they pretty much were able to get to the quarter finals without even playing a match. All credit to them for winning though, its never easy and they were underdogs.
Only two sides, namely AUS and WI. But the way SL muscled all the oppositions (most of them away from home) that wouldn't have been a much factor. Would have floored both of them in home conditions. BTW they have beaten AUS in the final. That leaves only WI. SAF was the only side that had characteristics to beat SL in '96. But they were cut short by Lara.

96 for me, because that was a minnow nation flooring everybody.

smash84

The Tiger King
SL were not really a minnow by the time of the WC. They had just beaten Pakistan in Pakistan in late 95. They were definitely on the up. That test series was a great great series that SL pulled off.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Found Zaheer Khan gobbing off at Hayden and Gilchrist then getting slapped like a bitch in the 2003 final a very profound life lesson.

Blaze 18

Banned
What match are you guys talking about ? The final in 2003 was called off due to rain. It is going to be replayed in Mumbai soon. :ph34r:

archie mac

International Coach
Voted India in 83, it changed the whole face of cricket, as it sent the whole nation into ODI diciples

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Greatest Upset

India, cause it was the greatest upset for a team that barely won ODI's to dethrone a team that specialized in ODI's and much more

Himannv

International Coach
96. Underdogs from begining to end and also revolutionized the way the game was played. Unbelieveable achievement back then when we were like minnows to the game.

cnerd123

likes this
Most poignant - 1992. Pak coming back from the dead under Imran. Must have been great to see.

Most important in the histroy of the world - 1983 and it's after effects.

Debris

International 12th Man
Most profound is pretty clearly 83 with huge effects on cricket.

Most remarkable is probably Australia winning in 87 after being absolutely atrocious before this.

Considering recent events, Pakistan in 92 is the most poignant.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
sri lanka 1996. In a very short space of time sri lanka went from semi-minnow to world cup winners.

It was such a shame that eden gardens turned to hell in the semi-finals robbing the sri lankan's of a proper path to the final. It was a poor world cup overall if not for sri lanka, kenya and a couple of fantastic individual performances.
awta

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's either 83 or 96 for me. I tend to lean towards the latter - SL really became a big player on the world stage via that win.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
1983 easily. SL atleast has a proper approach and template and weren’t that much of minnows either. by 83, Ind hasn’t only beaten East Africa in a WC yet, absolutely WI were overwhelming favourites.

subshakerz

International Coach
Most poignant - 1992. Pak coming back from the dead under Imran. Must have been great to see.

Most important in the histroy of the world - 1983 and it's after effects.
I think 96 was more important since it signaled a permanent shift to the SC as the center of gravity of cricket fandom. 83 and 87 didn't do that.