• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most profound World Cup Winners

Most profound World Cup Winner

• Total voters

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
I think 96 was more important since it signaled a permanent shift to the SC as the center of gravity of cricket fandom. 83 and 87 didn't do that.
83 started that shift and had a more paramount impact in that respect, plus despite Ind defeating WI once before, pulling off that miraculous win in the final was the unlikeliest thing ever. Because of that it was the most profound. Agree on 1992 being the most poignant.

Jumno

U19 Captain
Sri Lanka 1996. In a very short space of time Sri Lanka went from semi-minnow to World Cup winners.

It was such a shame that Eden Gardens turned to hell in the Semi-Finals robbing the Sri Lankan's of a proper path to the final. It was a poor World Cup overall if not for Sri Lanka, Kenya and a couple of fantastic individual performances.
All Qf's, sf's were all great matches

Some good performances in the group stages, Kenya upset, de Silva, Kirsten knocks etc

subshakerz

International Coach
83 started that shift and had a more paramount impact in that respect, plus despite Ind defeating WI once before, pulling off that miraculous win in the final was the unlikeliest thing ever. Because of that it was the most profound. Agree on 1992 being the most poignant.
83 didn't change cricket like 96 though.

Legacy of 96:
- Emergence of SL as a non-minnow
- Aggressive batting became norm, especially in early overs
- Subcontinent became the center of gravity of cricket fandom
- LOIs truly became the rival format to tests in terms of popularity

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Legacy of 96:
You do realise the 83 WC was the reason WCs were held in the SC ?

Slifer

International Captain
Which of the following WC winners was, IYO, the most profound, poignant, remarkable one

1975 - W.Indies, led by Clive Lloyd in the 1st ever WC, amidst much fanfare and providing the impetus for the success of the ODI game

1983 - India, led by Kapil Dev for staging what is the greatest upset in the game, if not arguably one in sports history

1987 - Australia, led by Alan Border who won against all expectations and pulled Australia out from their depths of cricketing despair to a resurgence resulting in a long-lasting dynasty that could be traced to this singular event

1992 - Pakistan, led by Imran Khan who by sheer dint of leadership, pulled Pakistan out from a corner and played like tigers to secure the championship in his last international and chance to secure funds for his hospital dedicated to his mother

1996 - Sri Lanka, led by Arjuna Ranatunga who took it as an insult that some countries were not willing to tour S.Lanka and rallied his troops to believe they could take on the best and beat them
Lol lol they had good reason not to as I recall.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man

Legacy of 96:
I agree with this, but the platform for it was set by 83, the initial boom in popularity in SC answer Ind especially, and for Ind personally, it was perhaps the first victory that put them on a final pedestal. Also heralded the end of ODIS as a format only dominated WI. 83 was the beginning of cricket becoming a sort of religion in India. Perhaps 96 did something similar for SL, but due to the size of Ind’s influence in cricket since then, I’d say 83.

subshakerz

International Coach
I agree with this, but the platform for it was set by 83, the initial boom in popularity in SC answer Ind especially, and for Ind personally, it was perhaps the first victory that put them on a final pedestal. Also heralded the end of ODIS as a format only dominated WI. 83 was the beginning of cricket becoming a sort of religion in India. Perhaps 96 did something similar for SL, but due to the size of Ind’s influence in cricket since then, I’d say 83.
Maybe we can agree 83 was a foundation but 96 was the takeoff.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Maybe we can agree 83 was a foundation but 96 was the takeoff.
Perhaps, but because of the change in Ind cricket since then, and the command it holds, especially financially in the cricket world today, and all of it beginning since there, I’d chose 83. Plus it was the beginning of the end of one team domination that had characterized ODI’s till then.

subshakerz

International Coach
Perhaps, but because of the change in Ind cricket since then, and the command it holds, especially financially in the cricket world today, and all of it beginning since there, I’d chose 83. Plus it was the beginning of the end of one team domination that had characterized ODI’s till then.
India's financial boom began in the 90s though. Anyways, I see where you are coming from.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 1983 final is probably the biggest upset in terms of finals played in the world cup. There was a huge mismatch quite like David and Goliath.

1992 WC reads almost like a fantasy script for Imran. The famous headline in some Aussie newspaper "Kuiper knocks Pakistan out of the World Cup" when Pakistan lost to SA. Then Imran coming out with the cornered tiger motto talking to Ian Chappell before the match against Australia

YouTube - Imran Khan's "Cornered Tigers" speech

and then the famous interview before the world cup final

YouTube - Imran Khan 1992 Wold Cup Final Cornered Tiger

Stuff of legends
He wore a tee shirt to toss a coin. If that's all it takes to qualify for inspired leadership then you can just mail it in. Surely there's a zillion other tangible examples of what he did and how he rallied that side you can point to rather than him having an iron-on transfer on his chest? Because the shirt thing is very, very average tstl. I don't think there's much doubt the Pakistan win is right up there in terms of this thread, but I'm not sure the cornered tiger stuff is a thing.